Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

A quick out of hours PM to Mikeyboy …. Special service tool no 1 and no 2

IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1636.jpg

Tap tap and out they all pop

IMG_1637.jpg

Then assemble and bag up the new ones, ready to fit.

IMG_1638.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A few steps forward and a few back in the last few days.

In an idle hour I got all the new hoses into the airbox

IMG_1662.jpg
IMG_1663.jpg

Then started to get the upgrade (post ‘85) rockers fitted to replace the originals.

Got all the parts laid out

IMG_1716.jpg
IMG_1717.jpg

Who can spot the conundrum?

Bollox- on the blower to Motorworks immediately, who couldn’t have been more helpful (thanks Stuart).

Apparently this is the second time a part has been incorrectly bagged at BMW, so now they have to check every part they get in fromBMW before it goes out.

Today’s post delivers the right one .

IMG_1763.jpg

(I just put that in to wind up Mikeyboy)

Push rods in after goosing up with oil

IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg
IMG_1712.jpg

Nice new nuts and washers, a bit of anti seize

IMG_1713.jpg
IMG_1714.jpg
IMG_1715.jpg

Tighten up and measure clearance - looking for 0.03-.0.07 mm between the nylon bush and post.
IMG_1721.jpg

Tight sliding gap was 0.6 mm so in go 0.55 mm shims

IMG_1719.jpg

Button it all up again to torque - remembering to mark off each one as its torqued cos I can’t remember anything these days.

IMG_1721.jpg

Ah but just realised I’m waiting for the camshaft carrier bearing to arrive, so let’s go to the back instead.

IMG_1767.jpg

Don’t forget to fit this little fecker before the gearbox goes on or you’ll have to take it off and do it again…

IMG_1775.jpg

Well that was easy.

IMG_1768.jpg

Next it time to fit the block vents

FFS don’t drop this

IMG_1770.jpg

In here

IMG_1771.jpg

Phew. Probably should have done that much earlier in the process to avoid the stress.

IMG_1772.jpg

Cheers Mike - yes I found that in the bag taped to the box. That’s an old photo of the switch. Good spot though! Did you like the head gasket …

...in my ignorance i didn't know a neutral switch went there...until I found an extra hole with no nice S/S plug in it:D

Managed to get it in by supporting the engine/box with a jack and sliding the rear engine bolt and central fat spacer out ... was a ball-ache though but worked:aidan

Got a bit ahead of myself with the gearbox mount and forgot to put the lower air box in - sorted now.

IMG_1777.jpg
IMG_1778.jpg

Then all the new hoses etc

IMG_1779.jpg

Finally offer up the cover to see how it looks

IMG_1780.jpg

Before you put the airbox in, you need to put the cross over balancing petrol pipe under it.

But you knew that.

Back
Top Bottom