Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

WOW I am not Jealous much . Very well done om you are on the home straight now.

There was going to be a sneaky one today but the RH float bowl seal decided to swell up like a tumescent teenager.

Next week I guess.

Float levels are bang on 24mm fuel depth now and I’ve re-learned the “one at a time” carb balancing trick so will get that done in the week.

IMG_4902.jpg

I know what you’re thinking.

The gap between the back of the seat and the rack is too big.

Well, there’s a plan.

I’ll get a duralloy plate for the rear rack to fit my Mosko Moto panniers, and the will bridge the gap, it will also have the fixing points for the seat so will tie everything in. Just making the mock up now for Sharpsy to cut and weld next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, I'm thinking that it will never run properly if you don't join the fuel filter to the fuel tap....:D:D:D

I admire your patience, I’d have been test riding it weeks ago!

Motorworks delivered, a quick check and fit the float bowl seals, start her up and all runs lovely.

Got my special service tool made up (a front spoke if you’re interested) so I can do “one at a time” carb balance tomorrow.

IMG_4923.jpg

Carbs balanced. (Needs volume up)

https://youtube.com/shorts/yIzp_13XKJ8?feature=share

Tickover a little high (1100 not 900) but that keeps the oil pressure up a bit for now.

And bearing in mind it’s only run for about 10 mins, heads need re-torquing and valve gaps reset, and it’s got a hot cam.

I’m quite pleased with that.

Final fettling of dashboard, stand, rear rack this weekend, then we can get it booked in for its MoT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Getting towards the end point now.

Templates cut to go off to Sharpsey for him to cut the dash and rear luggage plate.

IMG_4968.jpg
IMG_4969.jpg

And main stand measured up to get extended. Not sure how it’s going to fit with the 2:2 exhaust but we’ll take a look at that later.

Thanks to Simon (King Rat) we’ll get some decent professional photos done of it when it’s finished.

Need to think of a decent venue somewhere between Abingdon and East Staffs, any ideas?

Need to agree a price beforehand as well

Speaking of price, whilst I wasn’t originally intending to sell this one, I could be persuaded.

I’m not going to ride the Trans America Trail on it as planned.

So get in touch if you want to talk.

Dropped the templates off with Sharpsy today, once they’re back and seat fixing mechanism is sorted then we’re done

IMG_4986.jpg

So we’re getting toward the end of phase I of the build, and attention turns to Phase II - which is the “Off-road” variant.

That means a smaller petrol tank and fork-mounted headlight and instruments. All has to be modular and easy to switch from “Adventure” configuration.

I already have the tank, looking for ideas for the headlight/mask.

Does anyone out there have one of the HPN headlight/fairings that attaches to the forks?

Like the one in this pic

IMG_5016.jpg

Or have suggestions for an alternative?

Then the next part of Phase II is to build the 1001cc hot engine.

1001 with Moorespeed heads, rods and pistons, 40mm carbs, 324 cam, light flywheel, ceramic clutch, all balanced.

Aim is to get good power and torque, balanced against good reliability and ability to run on crappy fuel.

Deffo not looking for bragging rights on power and it’s mostly a pointless exercise because the engine I have is brilliant. It’s more about building and using something different as a learning experience.

1001 with Moorespeed heads, rods and pistons, 40mm carbs, 324 cam, light flywheel, ceramic clutch, all balanced.

Aim is to get good power and torque, balanced against good reliability and ability to run on crappy fuel.
Snap! Exactly that,
Except the rods - new std ones or is there now a Moorespeed option...?

Back
Top Bottom