Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

Because I’m slightly OCD about oil pressure, I want to have a direct pressure gauge, and the standard ‘red light’.

That requires an adapter.

Looking at the connection to the block, it may be a trick of the light but that large silver washer doesn't seem to seal the adaptor fitting - you can see the inner radius of the washer. That'll be messy when you start up.

Good spot

It’s a composite washer, what you can see is the rubber inner part. Let’s see if it holds!

I’ve not been able to bring it up to pressure yet, hopefully this weekend. There will be plenty of blue roll on standby …

So a few turns with the starter motor and we have oil to the gauge!

IMG_4680.jpg

Connect everything up and a few more turns - we have oil pressure!

Yay

237a66071893d71dd8e6228055a7ec0f.jpg

Takes about 15-20 seconds for the pressure to reduce back to zero, maxed out at 75 psi on that gauge.

This for Gelandestrasse - it didn’t leak!

IMG_4684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And the DMD handlebar controller fires up and works.

IMG_4685.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep - you control the dash board and electronic road book with that controller, and can include thinks like Waze, Apple Music, BBC sounds, MyRoute-app etc. also on more modern bikes you can link in an OBD port reader and access data from the bike ecu.

When I’ve got it all up and running I’ll do a short vid of how it works. Much neater and more compact than the old IMO/TT road book setup.

While we are here: https://www.ashtonseals.co.uk/generalpurposeseals-bonded-seals at the bottom of the page is a little animation about non-centred seals. I would centralise yours - I don't think the rubber is designed to hold back the oil without the metal supporting it against the pressure. It might do so for a while.....

Hi Tim

Yes it’s centred, the washer is a loose threaded fit onto the part that screws into the engine casing. These iPhone cameras do wired things to perspective!

Time for a quick swapsies on the ramp.

IMG_4726.jpg
This one comes off

IMG_4727.jpg

This one goes on. Has a puncture, needs new tyres and a big service, and I have a cruise control coming from Aus that I’ll need to fit.

So my G/S SE goes into the rack for now.

IMG_4728.jpg

Even if I do say so myself, wheeling the G/S around it just feels right. Ok so with a full tank (rare) and all bodywork on it will alter the balance, but I can already get the feel for it.

And it looks mean, which I like.

Even if I do say so myself, wheeling the G/S around it just feels right. Ok so with a full tank (rare) and all bodywork on it will alter the balance, but I can already get the feel for it.

And it looks mean, which I like.
Nah. It looks the absolute business! Even without the tank etc. :thumb2

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom