Protect your TFT from Theft

twowheeltrekkers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Protect your TFT from Theft, A BMW dealer contacted us to see if we new of any protection to prevent the theft of the TFT display on the GS's after a customer had there TFT display stolen, I did not but it spurred me to find one, as a result we are now importing the Nedplex TFT display protector, it only works on the 1200 and 1250GS and GSA, I know it does not fit the R1200/1250R & RS or the F900R & XR

We have had one BMW dealer buy quite a few of them as they have had several customers have the TFT stolen, a couple of other BMW dealers have also taken these from us for their customers, that meant the first delivery was sold out in a week, we now have had another delivery and have plenty in stock now so if you live in or ride to one the high risk areas now might be the time to spend a small amount to prevent you have to spend a large amount to replace the TFT

These are now available from stock for £40 https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/nedplex/

Attachments

• 1200-1250-gs-gsa-anti-theft-protection-of-tft-disp.jpg
    1200-1250-gs-gsa-anti-theft-protection-of-tft-disp.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 607
Protect your TFT from Theft, A BMW dealer contacted us to see if we new of any protection to prevent the theft of the TFT display on the GS's after a customer had there TFT display stolen, I did not but it spurred me to find one, as a result we are now importing the Nedplex TFT display protector, it only works on the 1200 and 1250GS and GSA, I know it does not fit the R1200/1250R & RS or the F900R & XR

We have had one BMW dealer buy quite a few of them as they have had several customers have the TFT stolen, a couple of other BMW dealers have also taken these from us for their customers, that meant the first delivery was sold out in a week, we now have had another delivery and have plenty in stock now so if you live in or ride to one the high risk areas now might be the time to spend a small amount to prevent you have to spend a large amount to replace the TFT

These are now available from stock for £40 https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/nedplex/

That looks good. The amazing thing is that BMW produce such easily stolen items.

With online instructions, it won't take the thieving geniuses long to realise they simply need a couple of everyday tools, snap a panel and an extra minute to still rob your TFT.

With online instructions, it won't take the thieving geniuses long to realise they simply need a couple of everyday tools, snap a panel and an extra minute to still rob your TFT.

Yes but you do need to have the tools and it will take a thief a few minutes, that alone will put them off and thats what its intended to do, nothing will keep the professional thief away, one of my customers with a GSA had teh alarm set plus two chains to railings 10 yards from the door, he went out for a smoke then went to put his gear on and by the time he had got back to the bike about 5 minutes later it was gone, he never heard a thing, no alarm of cutting of chains, the buggers know what they are doing, all you can do is slow them down

:beerjug:

Mmmm. So what you are saying that if they can't take your TFT quickly, they will take your whole bike.

:hide

Mmmm. So what you are saying that if they can't take your TFT quickly, they will take your whole bike.

:hide

I'm not saying that as if they want your bike they will have it even with chains and alarms, there have been quite a few TFT's stolen recently so one dealer is now fitting these with every sale

Theft of a speedo or revcounter was never a problem in the past so I dont expect the designers gave it any thought, now with them being one TFT unit and costly to replace they have created a market for them

With apologies as an S1000XR owner, but with a similar problem. Had my TFT stolen in London last Tuesday when parked up on the Holloway Road.

Replacement from BMW is £1350 but no workshop time for coding available for 6 weeks so can’t really use the bike as much of the functionality requires TFT to be plugged in.

There is a local (reputable) breaker selling a 2020 S1000 XR (same year as mine) TFT for £600 and on a returns basis. My local BMW Motorrad knows them but the advice coming back from the workshop is that they would advise against using a second hand unit.

Does anyone know if these units have at least limited plug and play functionality? I’m wondering if plugging in will at least restore the basic functions e.g. speed/ revs/ lights/ indicators/ fuel gauge and perhaps the coding does the bike specific options and perhaps mileage/ service history etc.

Move your post to the 1200/1250 LC section - more likely to be seen by knowledgeable people.

Move your post to the 1200/1250 LC section - more likely to be seen by knowledgeable people.

Only a mod can do that,
Although he could just start another posting in the relevant section...

Back
Top Bottom