Is there a Harley that's "just right" as it comes out of the crate?

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, I know one person's just right is another person's trip to the chiropractor, and tastes and styles vary, but I'm trying to work out which is the best compromise.

I've ridden a few M8 bikes and like them, and I've got a bit of an urge to get another Harley... After having a decent test ride on the R1200C when it first came out I went and bought a Sportster. Now that I've ridden the R18, I think I'll have to get a Softail or a Tourer.

Thoughts so far...

Softails:
Standard: seen as the base for customisation, which is necessary as it's no looker.
Street Bob: actually rather nice to ride, but why, like the Standard, is the talk so small?
Low Rider: looks like a rather good option, why the enormous instrument binnacle on the tank when they've shown that they can do subtle instruments in the cheaper models
Slim: looks like a reasonable option, but I'm not sure how a slightly fetter front wheel makes it £2.5k more than the Street Bob
Lowrider S: well regarded but the inside of the fairing is unfinished.
Deluxe: slightly larger mudguards and whitewall tires add £1.5 to the Slim
Sport Glide: seems like a bit of a bargain, but the fairing and panniers do appear a little basic.
Fat Bob: A rather nice place to be. Like an R1200R Sport with forward controls. Spending money to get a bike that was very similar but not quite as good would be daft.
FXDR: Gopping.
Breakout: massive rear tyre requires significant steering input on roads that aren't straight. Clamshell riding position not Tosser compliant
Fat Boy: Again rather good, but seriously dislike the brushed style engine cases. The black cased Anniversary version is north of £20k
Heritage Classic: A slightly less blingy Deluxe, but almost £3k to add a screen and some panniers

Tourers:
Electra Glide Standard: Not a bad option. Hmm, can't find much wrong with that, might be a contender. Oh, hang on, it's got a pocket where the nav should be
Road King: lovely bike with far too much chrome
Road King S: better option than the basic Road King but could do with the Road King saddle
Road Glide Special: heftier Road King S
Street Glide Special: another heftier Road King S
Road Glide Limited: gin palace
Ultra limited: another gin palace

All flawed. Doesn't stop me wanting one though!

Interesting summary. Which is partly why I'm looking at the concept of adapting a Sportster (and weight and cost)

My RKS was pretty good out of they crate.
If I was , say 5’9”m I think it would be perfect.But as I’m 6’1” I found it a bit cramped so I bought a Le Pera seat which sits me back 2”.But now the bars are a bit too far away so I’ve got some nice Burleighs to go on in a few weeks when I can get over to UK.
No plans to fuck around with the exhausts etc.....

no bike on the planet is "just right", you have to fuck about with all of them.

Which is a bit of a shame really.

I sorted my current car by putting in some mats, a boot liner and a charger cable for my phone. I sorted my previous car by putting in some mats, a boot liner. abd a charger cable for my phone. I sorted out the one before that... well, you get the gist.

For all my bikes, I've spent a fairly big chunk to get them to work the way I want them. My last HD was the worst where I spent about the same as the original list price.

Considering that HD make 12 bikes on the same softail platform, I'm amazed that not one of them is spot on. BMW did a better job with the boxer platform in the late 80's - R80, R80RT, R100RT, R100RS

If I was , say 5’9”m I think it would be perfect.But as I’m 6’1” I found it a bit cramped so I bought a Le Pera seat which sits me back 2”.But now the bars are a bit too far away so I’ve got some nice Burleighs to go on in a few weeks when I can get over to UK.

So..."no" would have been a more succinct answer then?:D

To be honest, the RKS is the likely choice. I spent 1/2 hour at the dealership today jumping on and off things and it was the nearest to the riding position that I was after.

Not desperate to change the exhausts etc either; I do like the way the M8 bikes run nicely without having to set off car alarms

Without changing stuff, when would we ever know when the time to sell is?

Spend a couple of years tinkering, get the bike adapted and perfect for you.....then sell and start all over again :D

The perfect bike does not exist, everything is a compromise.

Without changing stuff, when would we ever know when the time to sell is?

Spend a couple of years tinkering, get the bike adapted and perfect for you.....then sell and start all over again :D

The perfect bike does not exist, everything is a compromise.

You forgot "sell it for less than a stock one as the buyer didn't want the same modifications as you made and is having to budget to change them"

You forgot "sell it for less than a stock one as the buyer didn't want the same modifications as you made and is having to budget to change them"

Very true.

I also forgot to say that it’s often the ‘wrong’ bits with a bike that actually give it character and make it ‘interesting’ enough to keep.

A smooth powerful, super comfy bike, that protects you from the weather and is super easy to ride.....well.....it’s feckin boring isn’t it.

I’d rather have a C90 with a triumph triple engine and a set of apes and rear sets :D

The only new Harley that I bought which I had to do *almost nothing* to, to make it work right for me, was an 09 EG Standard. Bars and seat were perfect all day comfortable. Actually I did do a couple things to it; I cut the shield down 2", in place of a radio which I would never turn on was a cubby to stash various things like registration, ear plugs, phone, etc. I bought a little door for that cubby. The Standard then had the full travel suspension same as the EG Ultra and Classic.
Fast forward to my most recent Harley which is a 2015 Road King that I traded my 09 in on. I knew going in that the RK's ergos were not good, the seat scrunched me forward, the shield too tall, and the bars were too high with an uncomfortable bend to boot. After experimenting with an aftermarket seat and different bars, which didn't help much, I simply ordered a replacement seat and bars for a 2009 EG Standard and put them on. When LRS had a sale on their nice shields I bought one that is (I believe) 2" lower, from 20" to 18". The way it sits I like the RK even more than the EG Standard because its shield works almost the same as a batwing only it feels and looks a bit lighter in the front, plus it's quick removable.

Were I looking now I'd probably do a Road King again (I happen to like chrome on Harleys) with the understanding bars and seat would have to be changed, and shield cut down or replaced. Sport Glide might be an option but I'd have to ride one and see what I'd have to change. One thing I dislike on it and many newer models is the minimalist mud guards so I'd have to come up with a replacement front at the very least.

After a lengthy discussion with the missus I don't think she's entirely bought in to the idea, however she seems to think that the Breakout looks nicest, and I could get pannier frames made to allow me to fit my Givi Trekkers to it when I wanted the extra space...

Not entirely sure the look would work

After a lengthy discussion with the missus I don't think she's entirely bought in to the idea, however she seems to think that the Breakout looks nicest, and I could get pannier frames made to allow me to fit my Givi Trekkers to it when I wanted the extra space...

Not entirely sure the look would work

If you're fitting those it's worth considering the width of the bike to start with. If I recall the Breakout has
a very wide rear wheel and back end. By the time you fit the Trekkers the bike could be wider than you'd want.

If you're fitting those it's worth considering the width of the bike to start with. If I recall the Breakout has
a very wide rear wheel and back end. By the time you fit the Trekkers the bike could be wider than you'd want.

Though likely narrower than my F650 Funduro was with BMW luggage I suspect!

Though likely narrower than my F650 Funduro was with BMW luggage I suspect!

I think it'll make a refreshing change from the usual leather or plastic ones. Go for it.:thumb2

PS, I trust you'll avoid fitting a matching top box.:D

They'll need to be fitted bloody high to stop them dragging. Will look.....interesting, on a low bike like a Breakout. :D

Back
Top Bottom