Wiring GPS

Deleted account 210901001

Reaction score
Hi

Apols if it’s already covered. I did look.

Trying to wire a 4 button nav cradle.

It has the white connector on the end, is there a cable to plug it into already on bike ??

My old RT had one below the headlights.

Thanks in anticipation.

Apols for being at total elec biff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d9bf88f2064f1b97a9cf6bebff6d43c5.jpg

at the side of the headlight under all them screws and plastic,enjoy

Sounds a pain in the ass, I recon may be easier to go direct to battery ?

There's two aux connectors fastened, with cable ties, to the gubbins around the headlight unit. A complete pita to release because you can't see them clearly, if at all. You might get lucky but they are tucked away.... The headlight is also a pain to remove.
If you do manage to release one or both I think BMW supply an auxiliary socket kit to connect directly to this connector.
The second connector is for the heated grips, another option.

Thanks v much.

I have a few days off soon so I’ll spend them swearing and trying to get to it.

Why on earth are then not accessible?

Bit like a laptop having a usb socket welded to the motherboard inside the case

You might get lucky and be able to spot them from underneath, or feel for them. Once released the wire only protrudes 2 or 3 inches so they are in reach, not tucked away completely. But , as mentioned, they're cable tied in place.
I seem to remember having to remove lots of bits and pieces to remove the headlight....which pops out easily enough, but then doesn't pop back quite so easily:D

I tried to find a supplier of the connectors but had no luck. Local Motorrad dealer didn't have a clue and I didn't want to cut the OEM connector off.

Luckily for me I'd already had the bodywork off to run some wires for auxiliary sockets on the handlebars so I just plugged the nav into one of those.

Great. Thanks for the advice.

I'll give it a go, if it all gets a bit lairy Ill do it straight to the battery, I'm assuming its just a case of snipping the connector off................

Only one of the connectors is required on non RT models

its the connector with the 3 pins in it if i recall

The wiring is as follows +12v Gnd +5V (or is it 10) - Speed pulse

the Speed pulse is only used if your GPS supports this feature - so you only need +12v and GND

Thanks chaps.

If anyone fancies a trip out in the peaks and giving me a hand I can offer bed overnight and garage parking for free

You won’t wake up with a sore arse I promise

you can find them by removing the head light but its very much a fiddle .

Good luck finding that plug, Mark. I’ll be connecting my Garmin 396 to your old RT today, plug arrives from Motorworks (£12), gave Nippy’s £19 for the same a miss. Easier job on the RT than it was on the Pan. Looking forward to road testing it on Sunday but she looks great tucked up in the garage. :okay

Thanks all

After much huffing and puffing...........

Ive gone straight to the battery.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to help out :okay

Back
Top Bottom