2021 1290S

How did it go, did you do the exhaust?

Not yet. It seems to have some requirements to use the paint. So a test needed first I think. Going to give it a go though as it's cheap and can always be blasted off and cerakoted if it goes west.

Going to paint my 790 exhaust as a test as its got some scratches on anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI

The power leads for lights and satnav are now behind the front right hand side panel and not behind the headlights like the last model. I faffed for ages connecting to the power underneath the lighter socket.... looks the easy route until you try putting it back together.

FYI

The power leads for lights and satnav are now behind the front right hand side panel and not behind the headlights like the last model. I faffed for ages connecting to the power underneath the lighter socket.... looks the easy route until you try putting it back together.

Do you mean the fuel tank panel? The dealer fitted the SatNav for me but I’m planning on changing it to an XT so handy to know where to look.

23921d7e62b9da70f2a2b8d473ea7270.jpg

AMS have one. They did have.

Premier bikes have three of the R version, all sold, as are the next three in their allocation. They weren’t built up yet but I had a quick look, they do look great.

Andy was expressing his disappointment that KTM hadn’t produced a lot more of them.

So the R version will be hard to get.

And an interesting twist - could this be their last big petrol bike? Could all development now go into electric?

Lights fitted. Same ones on just about every bike for a few years now. Would've been a simple job if I hadn't remived the headlight.

0d001a91964afbc0f7c6d4eb98ed4c80.jpg

Fitted the chain oiler. If it works, it'll be the easiest ever. Like, stupid easy.

9f6c60ddb898cd4e4eb2b5975e559553.jpg

6158f436fb08e36858ea972eb87eb686.jpg

e0c4ba0668e6a84f4b4a71496fdc34e2.jpg

Can you get your hand in there to turn it while sitting on the bike?

Actually I don't oil it like that.

I put the bike on the stand. First gear. Squirt. Turn off. Done. It's simple.

To be honest it only really gets used on 200 mile days. Rest I do on the drive.

Actually I don't oil it like that.

I put the bike on the stand. First gear. Squirt. Turn off. Done. It's simple.

To be honest it only really gets used on 200 mile days. Rest I do on the drive.

200 miles, that’s every ride then. Would a small bottle of oil not be easier if that’s how it’s to be used. I have a Cobra to fit to my SAS, but I’m going to use the engine bars once fitted, so I can use it when sitting on the bike, probably on exiting the petrol station every time I fill up. I had a look at where you have it positioned but I loop a lock through that part of the frame so wouldn’t work for me.

Would a small bottle of oil not be easier if that’s how it’s to be used.

Probably, but it would get left under the seat and oily fingers on a ride has little appeal This Cobra unit is ok. I was going Scottoiler this time but to be honest if this works why go to the trouble. Keep it simple stupid for some things.

Does anyone know if the previous KTM panniers will fit the 2021 model? It's a long shot I know but I have a pair of Hepco and Becker symmetrical frames that would also fit the 2021 model if the mounts are in the same relative position.

Probably, but it would get left under the seat and oily fingers on a ride has little appeal This Cobra unit is ok. I was going Scottoiler this time but to be honest if this works why go to the trouble. Keep it simple stupid for some things.

I'm going to mound my Tutoro oiler in that location - dispenses oil with vibration with variable flow

Does anyone know if the previous KTM panniers will fit the 2021 model? It's a long shot I know but I have a pair of Hepco and Becker symmetrical frames that would also fit the 2021 model if the mounts are in the same relative position.

I dont think the frames fit. I've just sold my Bumot frames on here for that reason. But Bumot are making new frames for the bike by the looks, so the panniers will undoubtedly fit to those. Assume H&B will be the same if they mount to frames.

I managed to fit a Cobra (copy) today on the right side of the bike next to the rear brake fluid reservoir, attached via the mounting bolt for the rear master brake cylinder. Routed the piping up through the frame across under the seat, in front of the battery and then down the main frame rail to the swinging arm. Tomorrow’s job is to clip it to the swinging arm and attach the final arm to the ‘toe’ next to the rear sprocket, the pipe will dispense on to the sprocket just above the teeth. I used the instructions for the Torono? Oiler as a guide as to where the oil should be dispensed. So far the fitting is very neat and the oil tube hidden from view.

Had a test ride today on the new SAS at Redline.

Compared to my 2017 definitely feels a bit more balanced and the suspension is a little less harsh.
Tried the new cruise which works well and maybe not as much of a gimmick as I first thought!
TFT and all the controls felt a bit overly complex but sure you would soon get used to them. Indicator switch just not natural!
Smaller screen than the earlier model but still worked well.
Seat hard but not uncomfortable for an hour.
Engine felt similar to mine though spent more time in 5th where I would have been in 6th on my Hilltopped bike.
Biggest problem was that I had to go out with seat in the low position due to the seat dropping issue and so did not get to properly compare it with mine with Ergo seat in the high position.

Overall I would say it is an improvement on mine but no where enough to tempt me to spend the £6 to £7k needed to swap.

Suspect I will keep mine for at least another year and have a go on a 1250 GS sometime (last GS I had was a 2014 GSA) and see if Triumph bring out a new 1200 Tiger with the latest Speed triple motor to compare ;)

Worst thing was when I got back on mine it got the hump and refused to start :blast - Redline kindly put it on a battery charger for 30 minutes which was enough for it to spin the motor over again - so may need a new battery to keep this one going!

Chopsy likes it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xnNACYzLTqg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Todays ride two up. Tried comfort mode suspension down the back lanes.

The old bike was a waste of time in comfort. Comfortable of course, but wollowy bouncy. This bike! Comfort mode two up is sublime. I decided to leave it there all ride. Theres a big dip in the road on the way down the Cirencester Road hill going down into Cheltenham- deliberately took it at 65 mph today - completely fine. Pillion stayed in her seat and we both laughed out loud at the non-event.

Friday I was getting a lot of clattering at the back of the bike. My riding buddy said about it too when we swapped bikes. So today I noticed the chain was bonkers loose. Sorted that and 75% better. The indicator has a nack to it, push in and down. Its got better with use but still a poor design. Wind protection and lack of buffeting awesome. You can really tuck your feet into the bike now, almost like a sportsbike feel to the pegs. Anti-dive that Chopsy goes on about in the video above continues to impress. In fact its more than impressive.

I wonder if any other owner feels the same about it. I found myself painting this bike as a superfast hybrid between a GSA and an RT. It kind of handles in the middle of both in comfort mode. Only way more powerful. I think its the lower c of g.

I can only adsume chopsy has ample rear padding because to say the stock seat is all day comfortable hasn't been my experience.

I did cheap seat mod below. £20 all in.

Gel seat insert. 10mm thick. Set into foam and overlaid with 3mm neoprene self adhesive sheet.

First attempt at doing this. Took an hour and 5/10 for difficulty. Chose to take it to a sofa maker to be re-stapled (£10) rather than buying an expensive stapler.

Does it work? Yes. Of course it does. It couldn't be worse than the stock seat. I would say it's half way between the stock awfulness and the PowerParts comfort seat I had on the last 1290. Worth doing. If i did it again I might double up on the gel insert where your seat bones push. And draw twice the number of lines to cut too as my squares were too big.

c1b92ba8c1ef42bcfcfdb468e0b99c30.jpg

03fe39f6d1b3a3bb40fc7c55910f3be8.jpg

d988c965ca06725efe5f9fad93655b21.jpg

60dd130275b866a57a8903c2012354b6.jpg

cdf730e96feba71ca4bc6a9d7355731b.jpg

5f47e3645ebb56c46560de17f3d97b09.jpg

79336bf1d9c1805bdaca1f468ce36ab4.jpg

6fce7848539d61b53e3dc9872f1baa8a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom