2021 1290S

Sod the 2021 model - just received the parts to upgrade my 2017 SAS into a full spec 2020 model whilst keeping the best paint scheme :augie

The improved adjusting wheels for the screen for under £10 for the pair :D

Sod the 2021 model - just received the parts to upgrade my 2017 SAS into a full spec 2020 model whilst keeping the best paint scheme :augie
The improved adjusting wheels for the screen for under £10 for the pair :D

Are they the same part number for both sides?

At that price I will grab myself a set - I think this is only taking you to 2019 spec though, less the hideous paint of course.

The designers must've been hungover :eek:

Am toying with a new bike next year, and it won't be a 1290 SA-S :D

Blimey! Give them a chance. I'm sure if you saw a spy shot of a V4 Panigale riding the streets without it's clothes on you'd call it hideous.

I keep staring at the new Multistrada - it's not instantly stunning either is it, even WITH it's clothes on.

The new 1290(?) still has that headlight. It's always going to be a bit in the eye of the beholder. I much prefer a Multistrada front to look at.

We've no choice but to wait and see. Anyone know if it'll make the stores in 21? I heard it wasn't going to be launched until the Autumn ready for 2022 - that feels like an age away right now.

Starting to grow on me ;)

Powerparts seats will not swap over and would need a new frame kit for my Nomada panniers so would have to wait until it is heavily discounted - so that will be 2022 :D

Looks like a brake upgrade if nothing else - looks decent enough

Starting to grow on me ;)

Powerparts seats will not swap over and would need a new frame kit for my Nomada panniers so would have to wait until it is heavily discounted - so that will be 2 weeks after the bike has been launched :D

Fixed! :aidan

:D - slightly longer I suspect - the 1290 SAS was launched in early 2017 and I had to wait until Jan 2018 until the price had gotten down to £12,400 which tempted me to swap my 1190 ;)

Hideous

cd7bda1e04616502a69045f84e0fbacd.jpg

Looks like a Varadildo

Whet the actual flip has happened here then? I think I’ll stay with my current one :barf

Looking OK, need to give them a year to find all the bugs and another year to fix them, so discounted 2023 model will be perfect for me :)

TBH not really much wrong with my 1290 SAS, got it pretty much how I like it, the base electronics and mechanicals seem OK for at least 5 years and the 25-30k I am likely to clock up in that time so might be some time before I feel the need to upgrade, my mates 2013 1190 is running fine with over 50k on the clock.

Might also try the "old" (i.e. current) MTS Ducati if I want a change sooner, now that they come with 4 year warranty buying a private sale 2 year old one would be tempting, don't fancy the new revvy V4 with its shit fuel consumption and crap range - although maybe if I ride one I mght decide its the best bike ever.

Now if KTM just stuck a 17" front on a 1290 and fitted pukka, no bullshit suspension then I would be marching into the dealers as soon as my bank balance allowed.

Is it just me or does that seat look very low? Looks like the rear is compressed a bit because of what he's doing but it does look low. We'll find out one day.

Wish they'd fit a decent rear wheel hugger.

From what I've seen so far it doesn't look that revolutionary. A saddle tank, yes, and a radar. Some adjustments to the front end to accommodate these and big exhaust for the Euro regs. Presumably the intake mods like the Superduke. Looks like that's it to me. I've zero doubts it'll be brilliant, but when you put it against the new Multi - ground up new bike, style, motor, great looking dash, a small exhaust(!), radar and no doubt a load more, I fear the KTM might end up seeming like a new old model, a refresh only. Like it's the best they can do. Like the BMW GS, great bikes of course, but they've pretty much been static for the last 7 years and an 8th doesn't sound any different (yes, yes....if it ain't broke n'all). Reality is that it's just nice to ride something a bit different, still two wheels but different. A Goldwing maybe :blast

I've rung Riders Ducati and they don't have a demo yet, but the two they got in both sold straight away to punters. Whether they're worth the extra over the cost of a GS we'll no doubt find out. The extra cost over a KTM, that might be a closer call in my mind.

Is it just me or does that seat look very low? Looks like the rear is compressed a bit because of what he's doing but it does look low. We'll find out one day.

Wish they'd fit a decent rear wheel hugger.

From what I've seen so far it doesn't look that revolutionary. A saddle tank, yes, and a radar. Some adjustments to the front end to accommodate these and big exhaust for the Euro regs. Presumably the intake mods like the Superduke. Looks like that's it to me. I've zero doubts it'll be brilliant, but when you put it against the new Multi - ground up new bike, style, motor, great looking dash, a small exhaust(!), radar and no doubt a load more, I fear the KTM might end up seeming like a new old model, a refresh only. Like it's the best they can do. Like the BMW GS, great bikes of course, but they've pretty much been static for the last 7 years and an 8th doesn't sound any different (yes, yes....if it ain't broke n'all). Reality is that it's just nice to ride something a bit different, still two wheels but different. A Goldwing maybe :blast

I've rung Riders Ducati and they don't have a demo yet, but the two they got in both sold straight away to punters. Whether they're worth the extra over the cost of a GS we'll no doubt find out. The extra cost over a KTM, that might be a closer call in my mind.

Think the guy ridding it is rather tall which makes the bike look smaller than it really is ;)

Really very little out there that gets me to wants to move on from my now 3 year old SAS (must book an MOT!) - the ergonomics of the Multis have never suited me and just do not fancy another GS. Will wait to see what this KTM looks like in the Flesh next year and maybe swap in 2022 when they offer a descent discount :D

Think the guy ridding it is rather tall which makes the bike look smaller than it really is ;)

Really very little out there that gets me to wants to move on from my now 3 year old SAS (must book an MOT!) - the ergonomics of the Multis have never suited me and just do not fancy another GS. Will wait to see what this KTM looks like in the Flesh next year and maybe swap in 2022 when they offer a descent discount :D

Sounds like a lower seat to me from the page below. Same suspension which is ok as it's great already (compared to a GS it's definitely ok and one of the main reasons why I switched brands) but was hoping for some extra refinements really.

I think the engine will be a peach and I'll stick my neck out now and say the power delivery will feel more exciting/usable than the new Multi V4. That said, I'm going to get in the queue for a new Multi, just making sure the deposit is fully refundable :augie

https://www.rideapart.com/news/462439/2021-ktm-1290-super-adventure-details/

Hopefully they do not make the seat ht significantly lower as I have the taller ergo seat on mine on the highest position already.

Just back from braving the conditions to get mine it's first MOT (which is sailed through) - had to laugh as the MOT tester was a little short and couldn't physically get on the bike at all :D

£9'570 offered for my Nov 2017 8260 mile 1290 adv against a new Multistrada. That's quite good from what I can see so a deposit going down (if it's refundable) as may as well join the queue. Multi color V4 S Sport models won't arrive until May apparently and although the red ones are about now I think I'd rather wait for the multi color one as prefer the look. Having a think about it overnight. Test ride required at some point and hopefully the new 1290 will be here before May or the garage might just lose an orange segment. :D

£9'570 offered for my Nov 2017 8260 mile 1290 adv against a new Multistrada. That's quite good from what I can see so a deposit going down (if it's refundable) as may as well join the queue. Multi color V4 S Sport models won't arrive until May apparently and although the red ones are about now I think I'd rather wait for the multi color one as prefer the look. Having a think about it overnight. Test ride required at some point and hopefully the new 1290 will be here before May or the garage might just lose an orange segment. :D

Probably not bad in terms of part ex but sounds expensive if you are paying full list for the Ducati :eek:

Mines a Jan 2017 model with a few more miles so probably worth no more than £9k part ex - but that's not bad as I only paid £12,400 for it and so depreciation would be circa £1k/year :)

That said I will hold onto mine for a good while longer - cost to change would buy me a nice 790 instead :augie

Oil and filter now changed so so set up for another year :)

That said I will hold onto mine for a good while longer - cost to change would buy me a nice 790 instead :augie

Oil and filter now changed so so set up for another year :)

When I was considering trading my 1190R for a 1290R a couple of years back I came to a similar conclusion. Never regretted it. Eventually I bought a 701 with the money saved (+ a fair bit more by the time I was finished TBF :rolleyes: ).

ps. What is that bolted onto the front of the oil tank, fixing for an aftermarket bash plate?

Back
Top Bottom