2021 1290S

The R suspension always used to be more adjustable and with a better feel than the S. How is the S now higher quality ?

Typo, meant higher quality R suspension.

The S has an emulsion shock - "non rebuildable" as in KTM supply no parts and would swap it out for a new one if a £3 seal was weeping (££££££££££) in the US there is a company who will work on them, probably someone in the UK soon, but it was designed to be thrown in the bin rather than serviceable.

I think the 1190S Vs 1190R may also be different to the (old) 1290S vs 1290R, certainly the 1190S had very soft bouncy forks which some may not like (never rode an 1190R so not sure how they compare) but the 1290S felt better on the road to me than the 1290R, mainly due to the extra effort to get the R model to turn / hold a line, but also the SA suspension does do a good job of ironing out bumps and keeping the bike really level - feels more like a tall sports tpurer than and adv bike to me....

...Pretty sure this is where the development has gone for the new one, I would of thought that KTM really need two frames if they are going to improve road manners for S and offroad manners for the R?

Ok. So. Very impressed.

They're pricing my 1290 and quoting for a new one.

Engine: Refined. Quiet. Smooth. Oddly there are some noticeable bar vibes at certain rpm's. As been said you can pull away in 3rd. So I did the same in 4th - no issue. So I did the same in 5th - now you would imagine that would stall or shake to death, but no. Obviously you had to slip the clutch a little more but you'll be amazed how quickly you can get the clutch out pulling away in fifth! Appreciate you wouldn't normally do this, but what that translates to in every day riding is ease-of-use. Those occasions when you go to pull away and you forgotten to change gear… You can just slip the clutch a bit and off you go. I tried riding as much as I could at one point in fifth gear only and was amazed how much of my riding I could do just in that gear including overtaking. So for touring it would be brilliant.

Gearbox: it seems a bit more snappy and to be fair it only had 50 miles on the clock so it will still be tight, but all good. I think the quick shifter is 30% better than my bike but not more really.

Manners: Low speed manners are amazing considering it's an adventure bike. I will say though that my current 1290 seems to tip into corners at speed slightly nicer. This seems to go against what some reviews have said about this bike. In all likelihood having the fuel higher up probably pushes the top of the bike over in corners on my bike. The new one has the lower tanks and the different way it tips in at speed was noticeable. I played around with the suspension settings but to be perfectly honest I found auto was great. It seemed to be comfortable in a straight line and very progressive in the corners. The anti dive is incredible! Riding home on mine I tried some hard braking and the dive on the old S isn't bad at all really, but even so the new bike felt amazing. A few times I deliberately entered the corner too fast and applied lots of front brake whilst lent over… The bike was remarkably unsettled and almost encourages you to be a hooligan into the bends!

Wind: 90mph and no eyes/head shake. They've sorted the turbulent air thank goodness, so no more spinning eyes on the motorways. Touring wise this was essential. I'm 5'9".

Ergo's: Good Pillion See pic. Pillion feet slightly outside riders and more comfortable angle. Flatter seat angle I think.

d81caceef53aaa07ab81468ff246d85d.jpg

General: One of those bikes where you think you're in 3rd but actually pulling strongly in 4th. 5th gear at 30mph no issues at all. Quiet. So quiet. All you hear at cruising speed is wind noise! Wheelies Seat comfort though not as bad as I thought it would be. Uncomfortable after 1 1/2hrs. PP seats essential.

Most importantly, I think applying the R looks to the S is possible pretty much. Just the black frame might need wrapping if you want orange. Rear frame hopefully removable for painting. Blue tank panels would need buying and not fussed about the white headlight mask - think its a little OTT.

I'll post more if I think of anything. Nice bike. VERY impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm off don to Accrington tomorrow for a test ride on the new 1290s. I have had the previous version for a couple of years having come from a series of GSA's (and a 990 adventure which as a nightmare of frayed looms and crusty corroded electrics). I did consider another GSA but the V twin wins hands down, I couldn't face another GS although they are a solid bike with decent performance with the 1250.

Really hoping it's going to be a good as it seems, that said I have loved the current bike although can be a bit twitchy at speed when pressing on!

I will report back after my visit.....

Well I'm off don to Accrington tomorrow for a test ride on the new 1290s. I have had the previous version for a couple of years having come from a series of GSA's (and a 990 adventure which as a nightmare of frayed looms and crusty corroded electrics). I did consider another GSA but the V twin wins hands down, I couldn't face another GS although they are a solid bike with decent performance with the 1250.

Really hoping it's going to be a good as it seems, that said I have loved the current bike although can be a bit twitchy at speed when pressing on!

I will report back after my visit.....

Deposit just paid

So far it's £6k cheaper than the Ducati.

I've thought about a couple other things to mention for those who might be interested in one.

1. The indicator switch has been engineered in such a way that you have to press it a certain way. Nothing wrong with the old one, but they've changed it and now it has a sharp point on it that pushes through your gloves. Probably just got to get used to it but the design engineer needs shooting. The switch gear feels cheap but works ok (guess that's where the extra £1000's go on the Ducati).

2. Currently no seats available apart from the Ergo single non heated unit. That's disappointing when they've made a big deal of the '50 seat options available' mantra. I guess the others will arrive but who knows when. So out with the Airhawk on a new bike :blast

3. Feet down. When I sat on it pre test ride it was taller than my current 1290....tip toes. However sitting on it yesterday it was noticeably lower and I could very easily flat foot. So the range of adjustment must be pretty good.

4. The screen is busy but pretty awesome. It glares in the sun but that might just need anti-glare protector. The menus were simple to operate and intuitive but a bit of a faff on the go to cycle through to what you want. That's 'test ride-itis' experimenting I expect. Will just set Auto damping, Anti-dive, Sport throttle (which has an adjustment for quick or slow throttle).

5. The panniers are expensive for plastic max 10kg loading ones. Different part number to the 17 1290 so I guess you won't be able to pick up second hand units. I see from Bumot that there's a frame on its way. Hopefully the box's I have will fit those frames. The rear luggage plate is the same as the 17 1290 so the top-box will transfer straight over at least.

5. The panniers are expensive for plastic max 10kg loading ones. Different part number to the 17 1290 so I guess you won't be able to pick up second hand units. I see from Bumot that there's a frame on its way. Hopefully the box's I have will fit those frames. The rear luggage plate is the same as the 17 1290 so the top-box will transfer straight over at least.

Looks like the silencer's changed sides.

c2597e9d680aee3cf4cce060c835df1b.jpg

4cd1dd41baa6711e8386a13a3169bedc.jpg

87c238142dca1926ed64e912bd76fb03.jpg

f39a8b7f3382d7b5cb351885c8843d07.jpg

0dd9f2df92cd4fbdcf323aa6f9d81299.jpg

53ff18ad131a865cc34f4a6bf3cf6465.jpg

So bit the bullet today KTM 1290s Orange fully loaded it is collecting next week :) nice be back riding

Hiya its what it is a fuckin big hole and nerves fucked in lower part but I'm ok ta

anyone know the secret how to change aviator been in profile like a rash but its not easy to find the secret

Same here, GSA going and 1290 SAS being picked up next Friday. First non GS for 22 years.

Yes me to for 12 years did KTM Dealer tell you why the seat options have gone off configurator? i think its coz some have had the seat dropping from high setting to low setting on its own. Pity as ive specked heated seats

Yes me to for 12 years did KTM Dealer tell you why the seat options have gone off configurator? i think its coz some have had the seat dropping from high setting to low setting on its own. Pity as ive specked heated seats

That was my plan too. You don't need them often but they're great when you do (especially the pillion one! )

Asen is a top bloke and very helpful but this actually popped up on Facebook

I actually prefer the look of the soft panniers but feel the metal ones are more likely to hold on to my iPad n stuff when parked up.

I’ve read that somewhere, I was going with the standards seats anyway to start, the optional seats can be obtained later if required. Been using an Airhawk on my GSA for a few years so I’ll probably stick with that as it also raises the seat height. The dealer did mention a lot of the extras were in sort supply so my have to wait for a few things in my order, engine bars & luggage.

Hmmm, I think if you're 6ft plus with a 34" inside leg, be fine. The 21" at the front and taller suspension won't suit too many. 44T seemed to like the anti-dive of the S. But the colour is the pick of the three by miles.

Apparently there are 11 seats to chose from to suit all rider sizes.

Back
Top Bottom