2021 1290S

Gel seat insert. 10mm thick. Set into foam and overlaid with 3mm neoprene self adhesive sheet.

First attempt at doing this. Took an hour and 5/10 for difficulty. Chose to take it to a sofa maker to be re-stapled (£10) rather than buying an expensive stapler.

Does it work? Yes. Of course it does. It couldn't be worse than the stock seat. I would say it's half way between the stock awfulness and the PowerParts comfort seat I had on the last 1290. Worth doing. If i did it again I might double up on the gel insert where your seat bones push. And draw twice the number of lines to cut too as my squares were too big.

c1b92ba8c1ef42bcfcfdb468e0b99c30.jpg

03fe39f6d1b3a3bb40fc7c55910f3be8.jpg

d988c965ca06725efe5f9fad93655b21.jpg

60dd130275b866a57a8903c2012354b6.jpg

cdf730e96feba71ca4bc6a9d7355731b.jpg

5f47e3645ebb56c46560de17f3d97b09.jpg

79336bf1d9c1805bdaca1f468ce36ab4.jpg

6fce7848539d61b53e3dc9872f1baa8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding an Airhawk seems to be a simpler solution, if you happen to have one, lucky I do. I rode 265 miles yesterday around the Scottish Borders and I was just starting to feel like I needed a break in the last 30 miles.

I played around with the indicators at home without gloves on which made it much easier to get the ‘knack’ of cancelling them, used the same technique, push in then down & in, worked every time.

The engine power is amazing it just never runs out on the road.

I would just buy PP Seats, easy to flog on later for at least half what you paid, as opposed to trying to flog / trade bike with bodged seat - assuming it is easy to tell?

Is the power not exactly the same as before, or does it feel different?

I would just buy PP Seats, easy to flog on later for at least half what you paid, as opposed to trying to flog / trade bike with bodged seat - assuming it is easy to tell?

Is the power not exactly the same as before, or does it feel different?

I don't know when/if powerparts seats will turn up. So had to do something.

I got used to the power of the old bike. Can't say it's noticeably faster but the bike feels very different. The old bike was a GS beater in my view. The new one blows it away. But this is a little subjective because we all look for different things.

Excitement - KTM every time.
Warranty/dealers/looks - BMW probably edges it.

I'll stick with excitement myself.

seems the changes are more than just to the tech package, reviews are suggesting it really is a major redesign, and I think it looks good too

Yes KTM have tempted me away from BMW after 14years of loyalty! or blinkered eyes not sure which ? So far I have to say I used to poo poo the build quality and some of the idea's of KTM but having rode my first 850 miles on the new 1290 SAS i am started to bond with her. The thing is to max the bike your own and the extras are now coming down the line after the bar risers and the great idea of turning th holding bar clamps 180o towards you make sit very much better. AKRA but gaged due to Euro 5! but still nice top box etc etc. Th suspension on the bike is great you can fanny about with as many settings as you like or just be boring and put it in full auto.I have even adjusted to getting back to a bike with a chain not as bad as you think in fact its OK. The agility and the smoothness is really nice but the fun come with that LC8 Engine bloody hell does that thing put a smile on a old feckers face I'm 68 FFS! recovering a leg injury but hey its working for me :) So I have learned lesson I already NEW Dont knock it till you try it! I di have the V4s Ducati but it wasn't for me..... I'm a twin lover.....

Attachments

• IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 64260765117__F5321D5C-2A2B-4463-8CCA-E55057CB9192.jpg
    64260765117__F5321D5C-2A2B-4463-8CCA-E55057CB9192.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 233
Interesting Derek.

My last 1290 took about the same amount of time to gel with. It's because although it's got two wheels and a handlebar they're quite different to a GS despite being adventure bikes.

This new one didn't take much time to get used to for me. Instant like to be honest. Its road manners are a little different but that's fine. The suspension is a huge upgrade.

Interesting Derek.

My last 1290 took about the same amount of time to gel with. It's because although it's got two wheels and a handlebar they're quite different to a GS despite being adventure bikes.

This new one didn't take much time to get used to for me. Instant like to be honest. Its road manners are a little different but that's fine. The suspension is a huge upgrade.

Agree with that - took a 1250GS TE out for a test ride yesterday having not had a GS for about 5 years now to see what the latest incarnation is like compared to my 2017 SAS and the new SAS I recently test rode.

The GS is certainly still a very capable bike and more than quick enough but does I think just lack that bit of character compared to the KTM. The advantage over my 2017 is how well balanced it is but did not think the suspension was any better than mine.

The 2021 SAS has certainly moved things along and will look to see what discounts there are come winter - hopefully the sheeples will continue to buy their GS's leaving surplus KTM stock to discount ;)

So today was pick up day - felt a bit sad driving over to Loughborough to pick up the 1290 R and drop of the GSA TB and did wonder what I was doing - but anyways handover all complete and whilst I am still waiting for the power parts slightly lower (10mm) seat to come in the standard seems ok for someone who’s only 5’8” and 29” inside leg - ride back was just over an hour and I can’t believe how smooth this thing is - gearbox/quick shifter spot on up and down box and a vast improvement on the one on the GSA - hill hold works a treat and slightly easier to operate - indicator - I was expecting worse tbh but was told to turn on as normal but when turning off the action is more push down than in and seems ok but a tad flimsy - so much slimmer than the GSA and as for the performance - considering run in is 6500rpm it ruddy flies - literally laugh out loud ����

Screen despite lower than the S was great on the highest setting even with my Arai peaked lid too. Heated grips spot on after I used one of the two short cut buttons to access them.

Jobs to do - get rid of the dustbin of an end can so hopefully Arrow/SC Project/Wings bring one out soon !

Well chuffed - can’t wait for next ride - will post pics next week.

Agree with that - took a 1250GS TE out for a test ride yesterday having not had a GS for about 5 years now to see what the latest incarnation is like compared to my 2017 SAS and the new SAS I recently test rode.

The GS is certainly still a very capable bike and more than quick enough but does I think just lack that bit of character compared to the KTM. The advantage over my 2017 is how well balanced it is but did not think the suspension was any better than mine.

The 2021 SAS has certainly moved things along and will look to see what discounts there are come winter - hopefully the sheeples will continue to buy their GS's leaving surplus KTM stock to discount ;)

Paul if the GS suits some that is great ( im one ) the KTM is great but again the new sheep are following a one trick pony , not a thoroughbred , some say they have 11 different seat options .. lol
But im booked for a test soon as I need a buzz after the lockdown ...

Paul if the GS suits some that is great ( im one ) the KTM is great but again the new sheep are following a one trick pony , not a thoroughbred , some say they have 11 different seat options .. lol
But im booked for a test soon as I need a buzz after the lockdown ...

Enjoy your test ride - 1290 SAS and the 1250 GS are both great bikes and we are lucky to be able to choose which one we prefer :beerjug:

Not going to get into a "my bike is better than yours argument" but the KTM is far from a one trick pony ;)

the new sheep are following a one trick pony

Based on a test ride you haven't had?

Think you should stick to the Beemer. You'll hate the KTM. Far too lively and pretty useless at everything else

Stick I've had about 8 GSA/GS since 2009.This is a different animal, yep I reckon u can ride a lot faster in corners due to the telelever but thats it.Fit and finish is a different league the GS has become a poorly made cheap plastic animal its so flimsy look around the screen under the beak, the side pods water gets in everywhere under the seat its crap.
Mate dropped his GSA LC on the kerb the upper crash bars bent and went through the airbox.I've always been a BMW fan boy but I'm liking this bike more.

Based on a test ride you haven't had?

Think you should stick to the Beemer. You'll hate the KTM. Far too lively and pretty useless at everything else

Problem is I love the KTM brand and have had many .

Stick I've had about 8 GSA/GS since 2009.This is a different animal, yep I reckon u can ride a lot faster in corners due to the telelever but thats it.Fit and finish is a different league the GS has become a poorly made cheap plastic animal its so flimsy look around the screen under the beak, the side pods water gets in everywhere under the seat its crap.
Mate dropped his GSA LC on the kerb the upper crash bars bent and went through the airbox.I've always been a BMW fan boy but I'm liking this bike more.
I do love my corners , and to be fair I have never had issues with build quality and finish with all the Gs bikes I have owned . The 3 road Ktm’s I had seemed to have several issues and little help from the dealers . Glad your enjoying your new bike .
I will be taking a test ride to see how much different is is from last years . I struggle with the switch gear due to missing the end of my thumb .
Like posted before I want to love the KTM but the Gs is better for me , but let’s see after the test .🍺🍺

Had 3 KTM 1x90's now, clocked 30,000+ miles on them over 5 years without issues (one bug after sofware update quickly resolved) but in 18 months / 12k on a GS it had about half a dozen warranty claims and recalls.

Finish and build quality has been very good - except paint on the bodywork on the 1090 which was not as nice as 1190 / 1290 (but it was a "Budget" model)

In recent years I have seen the GS get much worse with mates having issues with paint falling off engine, one engine exploding and other general niggles, although lots of folks seem to have similar niggles on KTM's particularly with electronics, and now everyone is jumping on that bandwagon so soon the Jap stuff will be just as bad!

Had 3 KTM 1x90's now, clocked 30,000+ miles on them over 5 years without issues (one bug after sofware update quickly resolved) but in 18 months / 12k on a GS it had about half a dozen warranty claims and recalls.

Finish and build quality has been very good - except paint on the bodywork on the 1090 which was not as nice as 1190 / 1290 (but it was a "Budget" model)

In recent years I have seen the GS get much worse with mates having issues with paint falling off engine, one engine exploding and other general niggles, although lots of folks seem to have similar niggles on KTM's particularly with electronics, and now everyone is jumping on that bandwagon so soon the Jap stuff will be just as bad!

Good points , the paint thing I feel is more the design of the Gs as the Ktm is hidden by design so the Gs is more prone to road attack as the Ktm has more protection . Recalls are part of owing new bikes , and most manufacturers do deal well with them . I blew one up but that was component failure, a bolt , all are prone to that . Otherwise not many problems on the new 1250 . As for the Jap stuff I just don’t like it . Always been a Ktm rider , mainly racing but the road bikes always make me smile , but the Gs for me is a great all round bike.
Said earlier that a test ride is due soon so maybe I will turn , but I’m sceptical.. 👍🍺🍺

Im a 1,000 mile sin and i hav eco admit i was a bit of a KTM knocker but bullshit apart they ar built a lot better then i thought when you get down to fitting extras and cleaning them etc the ride is sure fun the LC8 engine is super and why not have change ive had 11 Beamer son the bounce and been to BMW loyal. Just need som summer... : Get hold of Ray at Judd Racing Nottingham they have a full demo fleet and he ha seen cool.

Back
Top Bottom