2021 1290S

Me likey this new 1290 SAS.......... a lot!!

(subject to test ride of course)

S20 5G sent this......

And your opinion of the V4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 5 penneth is i have a new v4s full with spokes awaiting if i want it but i need to ride the KTM tomorrow. Th V4 is fantastic bike but i will always compare it to my last 11 GS GSA bikes ive become somewhat too brand loyal maybe? When you compare bikes back to the GS range its difficult. The Ducati has a lot of plus points e.g. RED for one! the build quality is better then BMW imho the fun factor i there the engine is as fast as fcuk! the seat is hot and comfy once you have put it on correct unlike the dealer! the handling is superb and very confidance inspiring seating position is nice windscreen good.Th quick shift is amazing like butter! Th bike is very agile and flickable easier to shove around than th eGS but its still a heavy bike to sati has a chain.TFT and all the bells and whistle barre there, the Rear radar is great safety re blind spots. BUT the downsides for me are do i want a speed rocket! it does change your riding style back to a ticket collecting hooligan somewhat, it embraces speed .You do have to be on the revs though. The TFT is cluttered with unneeded info the bike is hard to be steady and ramble at lower speeds you have to work hard and concentrate on what your twisting and footwork takes a bit of the pleasure away from slower riding and viewing oner the hedgerows.Th brakes were very poor imho and really on paper should not be i ride a GS Rallye hayes brake back to back BMW brakes were well better.The duke has this snatch on the front sprocket making a clunk when slowing down ? maybe it was in need of a chain tension adjust.The engine braking was massive i would say half as much more than the GS takes a few miles tipping it into the corners to understand its engine braking and the noise from the air boxes . The chug chug and the clung from front sprocket was very annoying but at warp speeds in sport mode you really don't remember much LOL. Heated seat is HOT in any setting, the biggest down is the fuel i was riding very spirited but even so i thought it was a poor fuel return 28mpg. there were other thing is didn't like too but Im still in the market lots of thing you can adapt to but the shit sygic sat nav and the clutter screen and the poor slow riding are the worse things.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 194
..... <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rOh2WEJKdTg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I test rode the Ducati v4s for 150miles yesterday and Tomorrow its the KTM 1290s ride then i make my mind weather to go back to the GS Rallye 1250 or have change! I am really drawn to this new KTM and on paper it sounds like my bike. Lets see ? Hope you enjoy your new bike post some pics i like seeing em.

Can’t wait - it’ll be a change from the GSA anyways

HAd a look at the new 1290 S in my local dealer today
Agree with all that have stated that it looks much better in the flesh.
Only had the Orange one there ( x 3) . No test rides available as yet
I also thought that the bike was quite tall even though seat appeared to be in lowest setting
Bike appeared a little topheavy just moving it about and getting on and off in showroom compared to my 1190S? I guess it will feel much different once the tanks are full and centre gravity lowered ?
As Apex stated ( and Fagan on the 44 teeth video the seat is nothing short of criminal, I defy anyone who buys this to tour on it without buying powererparts comfort seat
my arse ached just sitting on it in showroom.

..... <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rOh2WEJKdTg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He said “it is better than Multi”

As Apex stated ( and Fagan on the 44 teeth video the seat is nothing short of criminal, I defy anyone who buys this to tour on it without buying powererparts comfort seat
my arse ached just sitting on it in showroom.

I know.... how odd is that! Is it a cynical ploy to sell the bike cheap but make up for that with ££ extras?

If I were a dealer I'd fit a comfort seat to the demo for sure. Otherwise you risk putting people off, especially if you turn up for the test ride on a GS.

Had a close look at one of those today. Two things stand out - It's really fucking ugly and the acres of hard, cheap feeling plastic bodywork. It's nasty, and not in a good way.

Each to their own, I thought it looked very good. Test ride tomorrow and if it lives up to expectations then the GSA will be changed for a SAS.

I'm sure it's fabulous bike, but I couldn't open the garage and be pleased to see that. Maybe the R is nicer. I hope so.

If people like the colour of the 1290R more than the S, dont rule it out .
I always preferred the way the R rides as did a few mags in their ride reviews.

Hmmm, I think if you're 6ft plus with a 34" inside leg, be fine. The 21" at the front and taller suspension won't suit too many. 44T seemed to like the anti-dive of the S. But the colour is the pick of the three by miles.

And how did it go Derek? The 1290.

Hmmm, I think if you're 6ft plus with a 34" inside leg, be fine. The 21" at the front and taller suspension won't suit too many. 44T seemed to like the anti-dive of the S. But the colour is the pick of the three by miles.

I’m 6ft, 32 inside leg and only have one of them (legs ;)). My 1190R was no problem (and I believe a little bit taller, with the one piece seat, than the 1290R).

And it was definitely the better road bike than the S. Whether that’s carried through to the latest 1290’s I don’t know?

Andres

And it was definitely the better road bike than the S. Whether that’s carried through to the latest 1290’s I don’t know?

Andres

Probably a very personal thing, I tested both R and S a couple of times then ordered an R as the're was a mega deal on them - but with a set of S sized wheels (still worked out about £1500 cheaer than an S) but then KTM found some Cheap S models so I switched.

Would prefer the manual and higher quailty S suspension, but don't need the skinny wheels, or the 220mm travel for my road only riding. The S is perfect for me (except for convoluted suspension that costs a fortune when it wears out / chucks an error code)

I am not particularly against the electronic suspension especially now the new one allows you to tweak it to suit your own preferences, but the vast costs of the control units and the fact the shocks cannot be services is what puts me off, if the shock could be rebuilt then great, and of the ECU controlling it was say £100 or so then fine, but when a code on the dash means a £600 unit then I'm not a fan.

Probably a very personal thing, I tested both R and S a couple of times then ordered an R as the're was a mega deal on them - but with a set of S sized wheels (still worked out about £1500 cheaer than an S) but then KTM found some Cheap S models so I switched.

Would prefer the manual and higher quailty S suspension, but don't need the skinny wheels, or the 220mm travel for my road only riding. The S is perfect for me (except for convoluted suspension that costs a fortune when it wears out / chucks an error code)

I am not particularly against the electronic suspension especially now the new one allows you to tweak it to suit your own preferences, but the vast costs of the control units and the fact the shocks cannot be services is what puts me off, if the shock could be rebuilt then great, and of the ECU controlling it was say £100 or so then fine, but when a code on the dash means a £600 unit then I'm not a fan.

Wow, I didn't realise the electronic shocks are not rebuildable, are you sure that's the case?

That all goes to show how personal bikes are doesn't it :) I initially test rode the S and liked it a lot but not enough to buy one. A mate then bought a R and I had a go on it it, they felt like chalk and cheese and I fell in love with it........and ordered one. As Arsey commented a few of the road tests at the time mentioned that the R was the more complete package and road bike, maybe because...........

The 'story' I heard was the R was the bike that KTM developed and then they built the S derivative based on it, this was at a time when KTM were transitioning from dirt bike bias to road bike bias. As the 1290's have moved on KTM have gone further down the GS 'touring bike' route as that is where the sales are. I imagine the latest 1290 bike with it's revised geometry/different swing arm, to suit road riding, is probably where most of KTM's development work has gone so that R / S difference may no longer be there IYSWIM?

Andres

The R suspension always used to be more adjustable and with a better feel than the S. How is the S now higher quality ?

Hi well Ive rode the Ducati v4s and the new GS R1250 which ive owned this week, Yesterday I rode the KTM 1290s 2021 and the new KTM 2021 890.Myself and my best pal Mick the Saw rode probably 90 miles on each the bikes. So first the 890 wow! I'm getting older and in the next few years that will be my bike was a lot of fun from 105hp parallel twin agile nimble and fast as fcuk! the 21' front wheel felt like a 19" to me. Mick Liked it too. Moving but never turned me to want to buy one. onto my 5penneth re new 1290 s Ive never really been a KTM fan rode a few and i never got the feel to want to buy one. I personally feel like this Ducati v4s has derived from a sports-bike riders background to a ADV bike and therefor it is a very sporty feel and ride but for me it has to many downsides for what i like from ADV bikes. So that's out then the Beemer well its like good old pair of slippers cant go wrong but build quality i going south weight is gaining and I'm personally a little bored with them there are the most comfy ADV bike for sure and you can wring the 1250s neck and it will make you smile but after 11 GS GSA's on the bounce I'm ready for a probably daft change!

The 1290 we rode was with full tech pack e.g. quick shift and all the bells and whistles. Trouble was as we got onto the bikes we soon found out the dealer had not enabled any of the tech packs !!! Very reckon annoying they say its done after first service ? So we carried on like you do the first thing a BMW rider like me will notice i the bars are a little narrower and the front to you arms is shorter, but not in a bad way i felt th amid pegs were to high for my 29" legs I'm 6feet 1 inch tall fat and recovering a leg industry so it was important to feel good on the bike. We stoped and took the seat off whilst feeling up which on turning into the forecourt i felt the bike was far more agile on slow turn than the BMW anyway the seat is a bit crap how it works on two round pin hangers but i guess when you have set the front seat its on ok and works good. WE took the opportunity to look round under the seat and there was few wires etc with spade connectors :-( bit cheap but the chassis was good chromium molybdenum steel powder coated and was real nice.The subframe is alloy and also powder coated.Under the passenger seat there is plenty of room for stuff sack waterproofs etc or a PMR radio etc.Continuing on with our ride we went a blast round some B rounds A roads back lanes and the V Twin was grand 138nm and 160bh whats not to like :) The big difference for me over the Ducati v4s is that although if you want to flick into sports mode and gas it which it enjoys you can also ride it chilled and nosey over the countryside hedgerows etc where for me the v4 Duke was unable to do that without you having to work hard with your mindset and wrists and gear control tried sorts mode and street modes messed with the thousands f suspension settings but the one i wanted to try was not turned on anti dive! the seat after adjustment made the pegs far better for me and i was happy with the riding position you have to open you legs a little wider she says... to accommodate the wider tank but again you get used to it very quickly. Now the TFT i great its 7" when you move it down into your eye line you can work with it easy I'm dyslectic but liked the pictures and the screen is way more less cluttered than the MS V4s.The Windscreen is easy to move up and down I thought there was more air around my mid head area but nothing to worry about even at warp speeds! The gearbox and clutch were both good and my dicky leg was working good would have been better with quick shift like I'm used too but we had to be old school. After swapping bikes I wanted to try the bike on slow moves its very agile for sure i pushed it around on a car park to see how it would feel in that situation and it every good also when you put it on the main stand its the easiest bike ever! I struggled to work out how to have the halo headlight on and the main beam maybe it was operator error.

Re Brakes i don't think it see maybe the bikes are both to new but the M50 on the Ducati was very poor imho and too was the KTM Brembo rear brake was like GS crap and no feel the front brakes we good but you had to pull a lot of air before nay brake bite came, unlike the HAYES on the 1250 which I personally like a lot.When you think new bikes and brakes will come to you? Why then was the 890 back brake fantastic! as was the front.That bike had no mile son it was straight out of the box! Who knows? Re switchgear the only thing we struggled with was the indicators when you turn they should self cancel after 10 flashes ? but if you try and cancel them it's hard as the turn knob has to be pressed a certain way but again guess its something you get used to. The plastics in some area are better than the BMW and in some are the same the rear grab rails are made from some ABS style plastic same as the Austrian Glock pistols use.The rear foot peg hangers can be removed easy if like myself you don't carry pillions.The rear end Mmm is very tidy unlike the whale of a Ducati v4 the overall ugliness of th eKTM has sort of grown on me. I like its agility it's far more nimble than the Beemer and little less engine braking than the v4s which trust me has more than a GS! The tyres what KTM have shod which no feckers ever here'd off were great after a good spirited ride they were hot and sticky don't know about wet! but the profile and feel of the tyre was good .Regarding th told problem of hot bools and legs on the 1290 the new split rads and re worked venting did seem to work it was not a hot day 12c at best I could only feel a tad of warmth on my left leg but again don't think you would worry about it.Another point as I've not had a chain driven bike for over 10 years again the Ducati was easy to get chain slap and some strange noises maybe the demo bike needed adjustment but it was rather strange particularly at lower speeds, where as the KTM never gave me or Mick that slap judder knock bush bosh bash sound. In fact we rode it at a junction setting off in 3rd and 4th gear no probs we rolled the KTM in different gears and it only chugged in 6th gear one time. The KTM is more loose than the BMW and for sure not as refined but I had a smile on my face twist the throttle and its a new adventure and the whole ride can offer little more character and you will need a little more of you riding skills to enjoy it in full.

My verdict is that I will be buying one and after specking it up with the AKRA top box tech pack some cnc bits front spots etc its around the £19.5k mark it may be a mistake it may be the best change iv done but you only live once so I'm having change and see how it go's.

I may need hellion how to deal with chain and lubes etc ...... Bottom Line you pay your money and make your choice ...

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE CHANGE PICS IF THEY UPLOAD UPSIDE DOWN AS PER!

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 152
S test ride this morning. Let's see. I don't think they plan an R demo.

I know 2 things already. Don't like the S colours and the seat is stupid hard. Will try to look past these. Going there on my 17 S so jumping from one to the other ought to be revealing.

There you go.

Attachments

• DB9ADD2C-2B18-4800-9EAE-383227BC7B1E.jpg
    DB9ADD2C-2B18-4800-9EAE-383227BC7B1E.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 149
  • C8DADCDC-DFEA-4B69-8461-ECB3635DEB6E.jpg
    C8DADCDC-DFEA-4B69-8461-ECB3635DEB6E.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 135
  • 25AF1D6B-116F-49AE-9DC0-6531ABB7C7D2.jpg
    25AF1D6B-116F-49AE-9DC0-6531ABB7C7D2.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 136

Back