2021 1290S

Too be fair the current 1290 SAS is better in that respect than the 1190 was - hopefully they have not gone backwards and also look to have an easily accessible air filter which will be a big plus :thumb

Oh really, I didn't know that (re the 1290 SAS), that's good then 'cos the 1190 is a right pain. I reckon the three part tank on the new bike might be tricky? And yes, I'd noted that re the new air box and accessibility, I wonder if it seals properly now? ;)

Andres

KTM vs MULTISTRADA

No rear radar/blind spot.
No Nav on screen.
Shorter warranty.
More servicing.
Huge exhaust.
Looks.
Heated seats Inc??

Imagine there's some discount to be had but it's not £15k and the price shown has zero luggage Inc.

Edit: £19,276 Inc side cases/rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, KTM has the facility to send turn by turn navigation to the TFT via an app on a phone, in much the same way as with the Multi - there is no stand alone satnav built into the TFT on either bike.

As far as I know, KTM has the facility to send turn by turn navigation to the TFT via an app on a phone, in much the same way as with the Multi - there is no stand alone satnav built into the TFT on either bike.

Yes my 2017 has that - not that I have ever used it :D

Looks like they've fitted a rear manifold pipe that has the insulation on it. Rejoice! Along with the new radiator(s) config and included side shields they may well have finally sorted the hot weather riding unpleasantness.

The new radiator outlets will be a nice place to warm your hands.

The arrow pointer 'sat-nav' that links from phone to arrows on the display of the 2017 bike feels like 10 year old tech. Expect this new bike will be the same. I think the Multistrada has map view in the display if I've read it right - that's 3 year old tech, but better than 10 year old. I never have used the one on the 2017 1290 - utterly pointless.

I think the Multistrada has map view in the display if I've read it right - that's 3 year old tech, but better than 10 year old. I never have used the one on the 2017 1290 - utterly pointless.

Yup

12059ccb6362dc04f11714542fbbec94.jpg

There you go. And probably a better setup than the Goldwing.

Also missed off the Multi list above are the Stylemar awesomeness calipers.The 1290 looks to have the same brakes as 2017 and although they work they do lack feel and need a good pull. That may be an off-road biased setup as sensitive brakes aren't wanted necessarily so long as they work. In fact brakes that are too sensitive/grabby are a pain off-road. But as these are road bikes....

Also one finger operation of the screen.

Also. First bike like this where the reviewers have said 'no earplugs required' (#waitandsee).

Wrong thread, but I can only think of 3 things I don't like about the Multistrada.

Price
That rear number plate hanagar. Horrid.
Small fuel tank.

There you go. And probably a better setup than the Goldwing.

Back-tracking slightly. Seems the sat-nav on the screen of the Multistrada is via Ducati's App, yes, but you can't add any way points to plan a route. So it's also pretty useless - just an A-B device and a preview of the road ahead. Not impressed with that TBH.

I see the reart shock is still a shitty emulsion type rather than a half decent remote resoirvoir, probably costs next to fuck all to make, although the fact the bikes don't just pogo about all the time suggests the electronics must be quite clever to overcome the overall shitness of the mechanical components.

Back-tracking slightly. Seems the sat-nav on the screen of the Multistrada is via Ducati's App, yes, but you can't add any way points to plan a route. So it's also pretty useless - just an A-B device and a preview of the road ahead. Not impressed with that TBH.

Bored so was having a play with the 1290S configurator.Seems odd but no option to add heated seats.Must be an omission as they were available on previous model.

I know some won't like this but I like it.

664e29868582edcb79b392b6ccf8beb9.jpg

Yep, hopefully they will drop a lot of this unnecessary shit;

* Keyless
* Radar Cruise
* Semi Active Suspension
* Cornering Lights
* 562 Power Modes

And gain / keep the following

* Standard Cruise
* Centre Stand
* Power Socket
* Half decent adjustable standard suspension

The options such as QS are bound to remain as you have to pay extra for them anyway.

If they manage not to fuck this up then I will be very interested in "downgrading" from my 1290S

Yep, hopefully they will drop a lot of this unnecessary shit;

* Keyless
* Radar Cruise
* Semi Active Suspension
* Cornering Lights
* 562 Power Modes

And gain / keep the following

* Standard Cruise
* Centre Stand
* Power Socket
* Half decent adjustable standard suspension

The options such as QS are bound to remain as you have to pay extra for them anyway.

If they manage not to fuck this up then I will be very interested in "downgrading" from my 1290S

Likewise would be interested in a more basic version with decent standard suspension ;)

Also if you look back at recent KTM history the basic models i.e. 1050/1090's have been the ones that have stuck in the showrooms with most folks buying on PCP so go for the top of the range model as it does not add much to the monthly payment.

So possibly some good discounts on a basic 1290 in say 12 months time ;)

Small update having sat on one of these yesterday.

I think KTM have deffo made a big mistake.

The dealer has all 3 colours. The 'S' in Matt grey looks pretty good, but I wouldn't buy as I think the Matt finishes show every mark and I like shiny bikes if I'm honest, something to polish if a road bike.

The 'Orange slab' bike looks ok. Both look much better in the flesh than the pics.

Now the 'R' - I think it outshines the other two bikes by a country mile. I might be wrong but my thoughts are that if they'd offered the S in the R colours, they would sell every one they managed to make! Big mistake not to make the S in that colour design.

I stood my 1290 next to the new one side by side. Quite interesting to see how different the new one is compared to the 2017 model. My 1290 has the power parts comfort seat and when I sit on it in road or sport mode I can get my feet down 90% which has been valuable when loaded with a pillion. strangely, when I sat on the new bike I noticed I was on tiptoes even though it looks lower to the eye. It's possible I suppose that the new one was in rider and pillion/luggage mode and hence higher. But it was a bit of a surprise.

The new 1290 stock seat is ridiculous. Like sitting on 5mm of foam on top of a rock. Will see on a test ride whether it's as bad as it seems but jumping from one bike to the other it was instantly noticeable. Visordown guy noticed it too. They've sorted the heat management out by the looks. The rear header is insulated as standard and the now twin rads vent away from the rider. That's a good improvement and from what the dealer is saying the motor feels much smoother and quieter than the 2017 - not that I've noticed a problem with mine but much of that is down to Hilltop map.

Test ride next week hopefully.

Pick up the R version later this month - can't wait!!!

I test rode the Ducati v4s for 150miles yesterday and Tomorrow its the KTM 1290s ride then i make my mind weather to go back to the GS Rallye 1250 or have change! I am really drawn to this new KTM and on paper it sounds like my bike. Lets see ? Hope you enjoy your new bike post some pics i like seeing em.

I test rode the Ducati v4s for 150miles yesterday and Tomorrow its the KTM 1290s ride then i make my mind weather to go back to the GS Rallye 1250 or have change! I am really drawn to this new KTM and on paper it sounds like my bike. Lets see ? Hope you enjoy your new bike post some pics i like seeing em.

And your opinion of the V4?

If people like the colour of the 1290R more than the S, dont rule it out .
I always preferred the way the R rides as did a few mags in their ride reviews.

Back
Top Bottom