2021 1290S

Well, today I went and test rode one with a view to buy.

What a machine, all singing all dancing but it's not for me I'm afraid.

Spill the beans, man

Stop teasing us

I kinda knew within about a few hundreds yards it wasn't for me.

The sitting position just felt weird, can't quite put my finger. I initially thought it was I had just jumped off my Ten but it remained. I also got more wind blast from it's fully adjustable screen than I do on my small Ten screen, at first I thought maybe the seat is in the tall position but was informed on return it was in the low.

The engine....this is a massive cliché but it's true, the engine had no character, it was that good and that smooth it felt like an IL4 and that surprised me cause KTM big twins usually have tons of character.

The screen/dash is lovely but holy fuck, there is just way too much going on with all the gubbins it has, although an owner wouldn't generally be fucking about with it as much as I was.

The active cruise control is quite amazing, I didn't fully work out how to set as I was doing it all on the go but it's incredible. Hill hold is another of these things I've poo poo'd in the past, til you have it work and again, it's amazing.

It really is a brilliant bike but on the way back to the dealer I kept thinking....9 grand to change...change to what...it just doesn't feel right. Jumped back on my Ten and immediately it just felt right. The Ten engine has less than half the power, feck knows how little torque compared to the 1290 SAS and has little or nothing in the way of gubbins but I was and am perfectly ok with that.

The sitting position just felt weird, can't quite put my finger. I initially thought it was I had just jumped off my Ten but it remained. I also got more wind blast from it's fully adjustable screen than I do on my small Ten screen, at first I thought maybe the seat is in the tall position but was informed on return it was in the low.

The engine....this is a massive cliché but it's true, the engine had no character, it was that good and that smooth it felt like an IL4 and that surprised me cause KTM big twins usually have tons of character.

The screen/dash is lovely but holy fuck, there is just way too much going on with all the gubbins it has, although an owner wouldn't generally be fucking about with it as much as I was.

The active cruise control is quite amazing, I didn't fully work out how to set as I was doing it all on the go but it's incredible. Hill hold is another of these things I've poo poo'd in the past, til you have it work and again, it's amazing.

It really is a brilliant bike but on the way back to the dealer I kept thinking....9 grand to change...change to what...it just doesn't feel right. Jumped back on my Ten and immediately it just felt right. The Ten engine has less than half the power, feck knows how little torque compared to the 1290 SAS and has little or nothing in the way of gubbins but I was and am perfectly ok with that.

I think I know what you mean.
I liked my 1290R but it didn’t have any character and I actually much preferred the ATAS DCT that replaced it and stayed for 3 years.
Ok, silly question, but if you like the TenaLady, why is it for sale ?

I liked my 1290R but it didn’t have any character and I actually much preferred the ATAS DCT that replaced it and stayed for 3 years.
Ok, silly question, but if you like the TenaLady, why is it for sale ?

I had a discussion the other day with a mate when he came round on his 1290SAS and I said then, I love the parallel twin engines, they are just ace to ride, I said big V twins can be very hard work, he replied...not this one, is brilliantly smooth, he's right, it is but like you I preferred the ATAS DCT as a more enjoyable ride.

Why is/was the Ten for sale, because prior to riding the 1290 today, I really thought I wanted to go back to the all singing all dancing big powerful bike, seems I'm happy as I am, I may trade it for another Ten come Spring.

I had a discussion the other day with a mate when he came round on his 1290SAS and I said then, I love the parallel twin engines, they are just ace to ride, I said big V twins can be very hard work, he replied...not this one, is brilliantly smooth, he's right, it is but like you I preferred the ATAS DCT as a more enjoyable ride.

Why is/was the Ten for sale, because prior to riding the 1290 today, I really thought I wanted to go back to the all singing all dancing big powerful bike, seems I'm happy as I am, I may trade it for another Ten come Spring.

Makes sense .
I think I’m done with gizmo-infested barges .
My Bullet is the cheapest bike I’ve bought in years and quite possibly my favourite.
Not even a trip meter . Bloody fabulous.

I liked my 1290R but it didn’t have any character…….

It’s why I stuck with my 1190R for so long. I’ve ridden all the 1290 iterations but in smoothing out/fattening the power lower down they have, IMO, lost that ‘manic’ character of the 1190 that I found so addictive.

Andres

It’s why I stuck with my 1190R for so long. I’ve ridden all the 1290 iterations but in smoothing out/fattening the power lower down they have, IMO, lost that ‘manic’ character of the 1190 that I found so addictive.

Andres

The big irritation for me with the older models is the fuelling. Every ride, often, slipping the clutch and lurch lurch. Irritating. I don't love inline 4's - Cabby saying the 1290 doesn't have character is bit odd...try any inline 4! So a well fuelled twin just does it for me. Manic? Yes, the new one does that too. But I know what you mean about that manic 'feel' and it's been largely dialled out in favour of euro 5 smooth/quiet/efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is odd about me saying that ?

For me that's exactly what the engine lacks...I've already said it's a bit of a cliche but it's the only I can describe it.

Anyway, brilliant bike but not for me.

Thanks for that
Been out on mine today/yesterday and for me it’s a perfect bike for the kinda riding I do, mooching about on poorly surfaced (with grass & gravel) back roads & gravel tracks - together with A&B roads

Funny how we all see things so very differently. I'd ridden a fair few KTM's before my current 1290 sas. To be honest whilst some of them where clearly very good bikes, they weren't for me.
I just found that 'manic character' tiring, uncomfortable and unpredictable. And they where all a little to tall for me.

Move onto the 2021 sas. It certainly doesn't feel anything like an inline four to me. Yes it's quite and refined with excellent fuelling, but it's still a bloody animal if you let it off it's leash and has that lovely V twin grunt. Seat hight is much better for a short arse (me) and it's the only bike I can remember buying with a screen that's perfect for me.
I really really like it.

Andres

I agree with this statement, “manic” is a good way to describe it. The 1190 was a fun bike.

I did switch to the 1290SAR, and it’s no doubt smoother and more tractable, which right now is fine for me. By almost any measure, I reckon it’s a better bike but the character isn’t the same - not better or worse, but different.

It's funny when one puts something in text and how others interpret what you've said to suit their opinion....love the internet.

One point about technology on the newer bikes.

I use the cruise control all the time in controlled zones. Takes the stress out of trying to stay at 20/30/40/50 zones. I've found the auto cruise on the new bike useful as well. Quick shifter-blipper...not sure I'd ever go back to a distance bike without these. Shall we mention the latest traction control too? Brilliant. And I was done with manually adjustable rear shocks years ago and just press a couple of buttons now. Tyre pressure monitors anyone? When you're loaded and 2 up knowing these monitors will trigger the instant you get a puncture is fine with me.

There's an argument says these things aren't necessary....and bring back the good old days, but I'm content with the tech. Anyway, it'll all be electric soon so best save the 'good old days' remarks for then

Andres

Exactly, by totally smoothing out the torque curve the 1290 engine stole a lot of the 1190 character, the extra stability of the Semi Active suspension also takes a bit of the "character" as the bike does not feel as alive under you.

Odd to complain about lack of character when you own an S10 though, I had one for 4 years / 25k and loved it in so many ways, but I would say the 1290 has more character than an S10, but the S10 did feel indestructible with way less shit to go wrong!

Also find it strange anyone wanting the seat even lower, most (tall) earlier 1290 owners (and most of em or tall or else they cannot get on) complain about the new model being too low in the seat, it was what I did not like about the 21 - being sat "in" rather than "on", although my quick demo ride was in low and I need a proper test with seat in high if I get serious about a swap.

Maybe try an earlier 18-19 model, would probably halve the cost to swop, and has (slightly) less shit to go wrong - and now well proven, although if you want to be sat with your arse just off the floor then maybe not.

Despite the hype from KTM and press there is not a huge gulf between the earlier and later model, I rode mine to the service, took the new one out, rode mine home and the differences are generally quite subtle - biggest one being the seating postion.

I believe the reason most 2021 demo models are in the low seat position is that there is a fault which is not yet rectified. That fault being that when in the high position the seat has a tendency to drop down into the low position whilst riding. It really is a poor design. Doesn't affect me of course:D

Despite the hype from KTM and press there is not a huge gulf between the earlier and later model, I rode mine to the service, took the new one out, rode mine home and the differences are generally quite subtle - biggest one being the seating postion.

Never believe the hype. Thats their job after all.

The seating is a big change but the suspension and handling difference is huge. One of the things you do notice almost immediately. I use the tall powerparts seat on low position (5'11'')

I don't think any one thing makes changing from the old bike worth it really. But because there are so many changes they really add up. The issue is that, like the old 1290 before it, you need seat time and a 2 or 3 hour test ride doesn't allow that. Theres a reason why they cart the magazine test riders off for a day or two. Shame test rides are usually short. All I can keep on saying for those who are like me and want rides to be comfortable when desired and mental when you're in the mood, is the KTM is utterly brilliant. The fact its now become the best two up tourer I've ever had since the Spain trip cements the thought. Fault free? No. It definitely needs the powerparts seats, a better streering damper and possibly different tyres, but I'm struggling to think of anything else.

I believe the reason most 2021 demo models are in the low seat position is that there is a fault which is not yet rectified. That fault being that when in the high position the seat has a tendency to drop down into the low position whilst riding. It really is a poor design. Doesn't affect me of course:D

Not great for a new bike but a simple 5 mins fix.

Shall we compare this to the faulty engines in the Ducati? I'd be riding one of those right now if it wasn't for that (huge) issue. Time will tell if that's sorted and I'm content waiting in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom