2021 1290S

Thats the can I was waiting for (not very good at waiting!)

Be interested to see the price, I may end up selling an Akro with removable baffles soon!

:blast

Gear lever

Still waiting for my tall seat to arrive from KTM I looked at dropping my SW Motech Footpegs to the lowest position without fouling the side stand which I managed to do by spacing the mount out slightly from the frame.

That then lead to the problem of not being able to adjust the gear lever to suit as dropping one spline moves it a huge amount and then fouls the side stand in any event :blast

Solution was to buy an eccentric gear lever tip from Woodcraft https://woodcraft-cfm.com/collectio...cts/08-7899-eccentric-folding-toe-piece-black

Ordered Monday and turned up all the way from America first thing this morning :thumb2

Had to Dremel the steel locating pin off the back and drill the threads out of the central hole on the gear lever but otherwise a straight fit.

I now have a fully adjustable folding tip gear lever and happy with the result :D

This will also work on the older bikes as well.

Back to Geoff at Hiltop today. Unusually this 1290 took two bites of the cherry to get right. First time for that.

The result? Rather expected I guess

Sir Geoffrey has saved the map for anyone else who might be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tall Ergo seat turned up today after waiting 6 weeks!

Design is somewhat strange in the highest position as it is no longer in sync with the pillion seat and you tend to end up sitting on the ridge at the back of it :blast

Fortunately in the low position it is still taller than the standard seat in the high position and so will try that for a while along with my lowered footpegs and see how I get on.

In hindsight I maybe should have gone for the tall bench seat that Big Derek got!

I've got the same one and had exactly the same thought about it. Bit odd really. However because the tall seat option is the same height at the low setting as the stock seat on high setting, the low position suits me I think. If you are 6ft with a long leg this is possibly an irritation.

The worry for me regarding the bench seat is that it looks to drop forwards towards the tank. I hate that. It can be a crushing experience. :blast

I've got the same one and had exactly the same thought about it. Bit odd really. However because the tall seat option is the same height at the low setting as the stock seat on high setting, the low position suits me I think. If you are 6ft with a long leg this is possibly an irritation.

The worry for me regarding the bench seat is that it looks to drop forwards towards the tank. I hate that. It can be a crushing experience. :blast

Well at least in the low position it cannot drop down while going along (not that I have suffered from that so far) :D

Been in the Pyrenees for a few days. The 1290 has been incredible. What a tourer! Been fully loaded and two up, suspension in Auto, Street mode. The suspension in this new 1290 is such an upgrade on the 2017. Almost like having air suspension. With the anti-dive on I think I've only been head butted once the whole trip so far.

Odly, despite my legs being more bent on this bike I've noticeably more comfortable than on my 2017. The powerparts seat has been great too, though I'd take the comfort of the 2017 one if I had a choice. Importly, my wife has made zero complaints of painful knees - on longer days it was an issue on the last bike, the 2015 GSA as well.

Fitted the sport screen off the 'R' - still almost no buffeting. It's been 30+ degrees so welcome the air flow.

Now then. The not so great news.

1. Horrendous bar shake the second you let go of them. This happened on the last bike as well, bit this new one is next level bad. You only need to leave one finger on the bars and it doesn't do it, but it's just wrong.

2. Linked with above. The steering damper (#it'sfittedbutyou'dneverknow) is crap. It does 'NOTHING'. There's some discussion on Adv rider about replacing the oil in it with higher viscosity oil, but I'm probs just going to get an adjustable one and take the hit. Least I can set how I like it. This may or may not completely fix point 1 but it's going to help for sure.

3. My radar cruise, which has been great to your with, has stopped working.

Despite the points above, as a tourer, I can't see how you could ride anything better. Honestly I can't. The Ducati maybe

Been in the Pyrenees for a few days. The 1290 has been incredible. What a tourer! Been fully loaded and two up, suspension in Auto, Street mode. The suspension in this new 1290 is such an upgrade on the 2017. Almost like having air suspension. With the anti-dive on I think I've only been head butted once the whole trip so far.

Odly, despite my legs being more bent on this bike I've noticeably more comfortable than on my 2017. The powerparts seat has been great too, though I'd take the comfort of the 2017 one if I had a choice. Importly, my wife has made zero complaints of painful knees - on longer days it was an issue on the last bike, the 2015 GSA as well.

Fitted the sport screen off the 'R' - still almost no buffeting. It's been 30+ degrees so welcome the air flow.

Now then. The not so great news.

1. Horrendous bar shake the second you let go of them. This happened on the last bike as well, bit this new one is next level bad. You only need to leave one finger on the bars and it doesn't do it, but it's just wrong.

2. Linked with above. The steering damper (#it'sfittedbutyou'dneverknow) is crap. It does 'NOTHING'. There's some discussion on Adv rider about replacing the oil in it with higher viscosity oil, but I'm probs just going to get an adjustable one and take the hit. Least I can set how I like it. This may or may not completely fix point 1 but it's going to help for sure.

3. My radar cruise, which has been great to your with, has stopped working.

Despite the points above, as a tourer, I can't see how you could ride anything better. Honestly I can't. The Ducati maybe

Out of interest, do you have a top box fitted? On my 2021 SAR, I notice a pronounced head shake with the top box (Givi 52) fitted but none without.

I noticed also that my top box fitting is solid, i.e. the box is fixed. On Mrs Berlin’s Triumph Tiger GT thing, the mount is floating, so the top box actually moves on the bike. No headshake at all.

The 1190 was prone to this too. Usually came down to head race adjustment, wheels out of true or, in mine and many other cases, tyres.

Out of interest, do you have a top box fitted? On my 2021 SAR, I notice a pronounced head shake with the top box (Givi 52) fitted but none without.

I noticed also that my top box fitting is solid, i.e. the box is fixed. On Mrs Berlin’s Triumph Tiger GT thing, the mount is floating, so the top box actually moves on the bike. No headshake at all.

4f2ebf31b68012c728b5ab1e0def4bcb.jpg

Top box, panniers, bags, kitchen sink. You get the idea.

The 1190 was prone to this too. Usually came down to head race adjustment, wheels out of true or, in mine and many other cases, tyres.

Yes Cooks. Read about that. Tightened it all up yesterday morning as I was getting a knocking up front. Cured that but head shake just as bad.

Happens worse loaded but still does it without. Stock tyres.

I have one more for my very short list of don't likes.

3. There is a ton of flex at the forks. The yokes seem very thin and lighter too, no doubt. Suspect they are part of the cause of the flexing. You notice it when loaded more but it's pretty poor. Maybe someone's will make some billet ones at vast expense.

Radar cruise works again.

test rode one today. Compared to my Hilltopped 1290 with Arrow can, it was more agile, more planted, more stable, better boingers, as smooth down low (pulls 30mph in 5th, mine would never have done that pre remap) and lacking in mid range surge....... So if i get one (I'm tempted) Geoff will be getting some more of my wonga.... I tried the radar cruise as an afterthought, never thought i'd be able to work it, and actually quite liked it

3,000 miles in!

Have now clocked up 3,000 miles on the new SAS including a 2,000+ mile trip to the Vercors :)

The good:

Suspension is good and far more compliant than the old one.
Handling is good and the bike is nicely balanced
OE tyres are lasting well so far - should get over 5k out of the rear and work very well in the dry.
Engine really smooth whilst having same poke as the old one.
Got an average of 50MPG on the 2,000 mile trip to France.
Plastic KTM luggage worked well and remained waterproof.
Radar cruise worked really well on French motorways.
Standard screen is good for me - first bike I will not have changed the screen on for about 20 years :eek:

The not so good:
OE tyres have had a few moments in the wet.
The bike as standard is not built for tall people! Lower pegs and high seat have improved matters along with turning handle bar mounts round to the forward position.
High Ergo seat is far from perfect - trying a Cool cover on it next.
Needs a side stand enlarger - waiting for one from Perun.

Overall - very pleased with it so far:thumb2

Anyone got an idea of value of 2017 S, 23000 miles, good nick. Private and trade in. Ergo seats, panniers, arrow can could be included or sold separately . Thanks

My 1x90s have done this, 1290 on current tyres does not do it, but I am sure it has done in the past, 1190 IIRC did it all the time at very low speed regardless of tyres - 40mph with throttle shut and hands off, 1290 I can set cruise when fiddling with gloves which avoids the issue, but it won't do it even if I try.

Anyone got an idea of value of 2017 S, 23000 miles, good nick. Private and trade in. Ergo seats, panniers, arrow can could be included or sold separately . Thanks

Look at Ebay / Auto-Trader for private sellers, or knock about 15% off typical dealer price for private sale. / trade in - will give you a rough idea.

Mate just turned up at my door there with his fully loaded 71 plate S model, what a fucking machine.

Had a very brief shot on it and was blown away, really got me thinking about one despite telling myself my days of buying stupid expensive motorcycles is over. :blast

Mate just turned up at my door there with his fully loaded 71 plate S model, what a fucking machine.

Had a very brief shot on it and was blown away, really got me thinking about one despite telling myself my days of buying stupid expensive motorcycles is over. :blast

Time for a change

T700 is just history

Back
Top Bottom