System 7 helmet question...

Decompressing

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought one. When I opened the box, the internal sun visor wasn’t attached and had fallen into the inside of the helmet. When I clipped it back into the mounts, I noticed this hard rough lump of black plastic on the inside of the shell which had clearly marked the sun visor (although those marks appear to have polished off). Is this just how they are? Could anyone else with one mind looking to see if theirs has this black plastic lump? To my mind, rather than that, there should be a piece of felt there to protect the surface of the sun visor as it slides in and out from behind the outer shell.

This is what I'm talking about...

I've circled the lump of what looks like melted plastic

Attachments

• IMG_7270.jpg
    IMG_7270.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7267.jpg
    IMG_7267.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 162
We bought two of these just after lockdown 1 and both sun visors were attached and working ok. No lump as circled was present, I'd say something's busted in the mechanism. Take/send it back mate.

We bought two of these just after lockdown 1 and both sun visors were attached and working ok. No lump as circled was present, I'd say something's busted in the mechanism. Take/send it back mate.

cheers for coming back to us. Despite that black lump, is the indie of yours the same? I mean, I'm not missing any liner or whatever? The sun-visor works ok now I've clicked it back on but If you're going to tell me that's the only thing different, I'm inclined to just cut it off with a stanly knife.

Ordinarily, I would just send it straight back but it was one of the bargain cheap ones that Sadjim was selling on here earlier this week, so I'd be prepared to cut some slack!

Cheers,

Marc

Not sure what u mean ref indie and can't tell about the liner from the pics, sorry.

Sorry, damn autocorrect. “Indie” should be “inside”!

Sorted now anyway, I cut the offending lump out and it’s all good. Thanks anyway.

To my mind, rather than that, there should be a piece of felt there to protect the surface of the sun visor as it slides in and out from behind the outer shell.

Ohh no, you really wouldn't a strip of felt rubbing the sun visor everytime it slides in and out...

Porsche made the same mistake when they made a crash helmet back in the 1980's.

The visor retracted up inside the crash helmet, seemed a marvelous idea on paper.

But in the real world with insects, bugs and the general dirt that we all know sticks to a visor, not so good.

Flip up the visor and all the muck got scrapped off in the aperture between the outside and the inside.
Result being that all the muck got stuck to the felt inside, so everytime you lowered the visor it came down with a layer of freshy applied muck from the accumulated dirt stuck up in the visor aperture. When it rained you couldn't see through the mud smeared visor :D

Sorry to go off on tangent..

Attachments

• Porsche helmet.jpg
    Porsche helmet.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 88
bargain cheap ones that Sadjim was selling on here earlier this week, so I'd be prepared to cut some slack!

Cheers,

Marc

Still covered by warranty, send it back to Sadjim . Good dude to deal with. Quality check didn't pick that up? Looks like some sort of bonding crap that leaked? Mine was perfect.

Back
Top Bottom