Fort William secure parking

ZED 1000

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have recently booked to stay up in FW for a week in July, we intend to arrive 3 or 4 days ahead of our booking in order to head off round the NC500. We’re travelling as normal with the bike in our trailer, I am hoping to find secure storage for the van and trailer in or close to FW whilst we are off round the NC, not looking for a free parking slot would rather pay for good secure storage. Would appreciate pointers from guys with local knowledge if anyone has ideas where I can find storage options.

Yes many have said it before, but I ride my bikes for pleasure and find no pleasure I endless motorway miles on a bike, plus I know I can do Norfolk to FW in 10 hours in the van with the trailer on, 10 hours on the bike sitting on a motorway no thanks, also we don’t travel light these days, there’s no way we could pack for 2 weeks away in 2 panniers and a roll bag, long weekends yes 2 weeks definitely not. 40 years ago ld do 2 weeks 2 up with a tent on a Z900 but not now.

Anyway, why not just leave your van/trailer at your digs, it's Fort William we're talking about here not Bethnal Green.

Van, trailer :nenau am I missing something here :nenau

You and me too ...

Zed1000 just go and enjoy, you'll be safe :thumby:

Sort it out when you get there ... the problems you envisage will not be the problems you will encounter :D

:beerjug:

PM me, I`ll give you some options :thumb

Ooh July, :blastjust think of all those motorhomes and caravans clogging up all the roads, enjoy!

Al.

P.S I know a very good place in Oban, but that means an extra hour riding your bike!!

Anyway, why not just leave your van/trailer at your digs, it's Fort William we're talking about here not Bethnal Green.
We don’t actually take the rental house till the day we arrive back from the NC loop, so can’t park there.

We don’t actually take the rental house till the day we arrive back from the NC loop, so can’t park there.

In that case, just dump it in the west end car park, it'll be fine, honest guv'nor.

*Edit, scratch that, seems that's not long term. Back of Morrisons Car Park, sorted.

the problems you envisage will not be the problems you will encounter :D

I like that quote Micky :thumb
Very nice touch with the watch sir :bow

Micky has been where I'm telling you about, Its secure.

Here you go

https://vfw-web.s3.eu-west-2.amazon...-car-parking-charges/2019_Parking_Charges.pdf

How secure are those places? I’ve no idea but I’m sure you’re fully insured :D

Thanks for the input but they are all max 24hr stay which wont work for us, I have had a generous offer from G.C. which I am grateful for, but still exploring other options including a local warehousing company who may be able to offer secure inside storage. Am I being over cautious? I know its FW an not Naples. my real concern is the trailer they are difficult to secure and very nickable, the inconvenience of loosing the means to transport the bike home being the main reasons for my need to keep it safe and secure.

How big is the trailer and can you partially dismantle it so it fits in the van?

I know I’m going off at a tangent but sometimes you need to look a bit deeper than the immediately obvious solutions. A van is easy to park and at a push you can park it somewhere a bit further away where it’s tucked out of the way. Try asking in a pub when you get there, bung the landlord a bit of pocket money and the jobs done.

Trailer is a large-ish covered job no chance of dismantling it or if it fitting in ourT5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that quote Micky :thumb
Very nice touch with the watch sir :bow

Micky has been where I'm telling you about, Its secure.

Thank you Gordon :thumb2

When Sue and myself went on the overland Mongolia trip Kevin and Julia Sanders (Globetrotters) told us that ...

"Plans by all means, but don't plan too much, it will restrict your itinerary. The problems you envisage will not be the problems you encounter, the problems you encounter will be low ballers, totally unexpected, what you never expected. That's the adventure bit"

How right they were :thumby:

T5 and covered trailer

for 2-wheelers who do not want to spend long days on motorways or people of a certain age or state of health your set up sounds spot on. Enjoy

Lyon 2018 on the way to Braincon

We’ve been doing our long distance biking holidays this way for 10 years now, suites our needs and means we have no restrictions on luggage, we pack walking gear warm and cold weather bike gear take our own bbq and probably more than we really need.

Attachments

• 38EE5399-56B9-482E-B760-9FE16B32175A.jpg
    38EE5399-56B9-482E-B760-9FE16B32175A.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 145
We’ve been doing our long distance biking holidays this way for 10 years now, suites our needs and means we have no restrictions on luggage, we pack walking gear warm and cold weather bike gear take our own bbq and probably more than we really need.

In Ireland a company called Overlanders (www.overlanders.ie) will transport your motorcycle to various countries, you can get your inexpensive Ryanair flight and collect bike on arrival. It is a popular option.
Overlanders also do organised tours as far away as South America, bike rental in this case.

Back
Top Bottom