Do I bite the Apple

Previous generation machines up to around 2013 (approx.) can run Big sur. That I would class as forward compatible. Older machines (pre 2013) cannot, for example my 2011 MBP is limited to High Sierra.

Not strictly true. My late-2008 MBP (upgraded to 8Gb RAM) happily runs Catalina. Just use dosdude1's patched OS. He hasn’t ported Big Sur yet but given its problems I’m not surprised!

HTH

A

Not strictly true. My late-2008 MBP (upgraded to 8Gb RAM) happily runs Catalina. Just use dosdude1's patched OS. He hasn’t ported Big Sur yet but given its problems I’m not surprised!

HTH

A

Yes there are ways to cheat and get unsupported OS to run. But they are unsupported for a reason. I don't just mean "you need to buy the latest" I left this workaround out for clarity.

When Big sur gets refined then I will contemplate migrating over to it. As you said Andy there are still problems with it.

Merry Christmas to All

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and wouldn’t go back to windows. However I won’t be changing to Big Sur as being 64 bit it won’t run my MS office and Adobe 32bit software I have paid for outright I refuse to start paying monthly subscriptions although I understand there are some freeware alternatives out there.
Not impressed with John Lewis as when the screen packed up just out of their extended warranty they didn’t want to know. Took it into Apple who repaired it and charged me about £400 but the “colleague” who I dealt with said they would have done it FOC under consumer rights legislation if I had bought it from them

I've just bought the MacBook Air m1 ...taken a few days to get around its features but its amazing after using windows based laptops, super quick, keyboard is a delight to use, well impressed for the money, £919 from curry's nice in the gold as well

Back
Top Bottom