Yet another insurance thread

yofi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With apologies for yet another one of these threads, does anybody have any recommedation for cover? Currently paying BenneTts £178 fully comp (3 years bike ncb). For my R1200GS - they want 660 for an R1250 TE TB!

Thanks

All i can tell you is this;
my wife retired 2 years ago and owned her own motorcycle insurance broker. She never let me use the same company 2 years running as insurance companies only have a premium reduction budget for new policy holders - renewals dont get any reduciton (usually).
shop around - bet you get it cheaper by moving :D

A year ago I went from a 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200 to the 2019 1250 GSA HP and my insurers at the time (I forget who it was) wanted to up it from about £350 to close to a grand. Started ringing around and couldn't get it much under £800. Granted the bike was newer etc but it seemed steep. Ended up getting told to give Bemoto a call and I was sceptical as they have no online quote system but I called them and the rest is history. £39 a month fully comp AND protected NCB which I didn't have previously plus a host of extras which sounded too good to be true but others I've spoken to have great things to say about them. Just had my renewal and for the first time in many years it's actually gone down but about £40 from last year, with all the same benefits and excess.

I'd recommend giving them a call. I will add I've never had to claim so I can't speak to that and as others will likely say "cheapest isn't always best" which I agree with, but I tend to judge it on their professionalism in how they handle me and Bemoto were great.

With apologies for yet another one of these threads, does anybody have any recommedation for cover? Currently paying BenneTts £178 fully comp (3 years bike ncb). For my R1200GS - they want 660 for an R1250 TE TB!

Thanks

Hi, I’m with Bennett’s, cost me £97 Fully Comp on my 2017 GSA TB (June renewal) upgraded on Saturday to my new 1250 GSA TB and it cost me an extra £68, £35 of which was the admin fee. I’m calculating that to make my annual policy to be about £160 on the new 1250. I think that’s very reasonable for a £20k bike. I’ve got full NCB and I’m an old duffa (57).

Last edited:
I have my details saved in to ‘go compare’. Each year I log in, amend details where needed (add 1 year ncb) and start the search. I never stay at the same insurer as renewals are daylight robbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was having snags myself. I have a 1-year-old BMW R 1250 GS HP ADVENTURE RALLYE TE that I have put down as £19k in value. My bike is kept in a locked garage 2 miles away on a military base (I normally get battered for this), I had a minor car accident 2 years ago ( my first for 30+ years but got battered for that last year too - thought I was insuring my bike - not my car!!) and, I can now ride any other bike (could only ride mine over the last year). No-one wanted to insure me last year despite 6 years no claims back, being an Advanced Motorcyclist and also a Member of IAM.
So, last years price through the Meerkat's was in excess of £750 with Novitas Insurance.
This year, I went through confused.com. I have managed all of the above including riding abroad, kit cover, breakdown cover, Legal Protection and Personal Accident Cover - all for .........................................................£278.74 - BOOYASHAKKA!!!
Next year should be better with 8 years NCB plus the car accident should be disregarded.
Hope this helps when looking for your insurer. I'm pleased to be with BIKESURE ELITE.

I renewed mine today. Hastings Direct wanted £780 for my 1250 exclusive TE, went on Gocompare and selected Devitts at £350, not the cheapest, but bits thrown in so went for it. Quick call to Hastings and they managed to get it down to £500 instantly but that was the lowest they would go.
There is no loyalty these days.

Thanks for the responses thus far, please keep the suggestions coming!

Since having posted I've been in touch with Hastings Direct and Devitts (via BMW Motorrad). Hastings say they can't insure as the bike is not listed - and won't/can't pass it onto their underwriters - whilst I'm still waiting to hear from Devitt/BMW Motorrad as to whether they will quote due the bike not being yet listed.

But from Go Compare returns, even on a straightforward r1250 GS TE I'm still getting figures in the region of 600 quid plus high excess. I'm an oldie, no history of car/bike claims, and live in an urban area that in reality (if possibly not on paper, dunno) is low crime. Only been back to motorcycling three and a bit years though, so only 3 years ncb.

Anyway, I'll give the suggested a try whilst I wait on BMW Motorrad.

It will be interesting in a couple of years time when some of these bikes breach the 20k limit. Many companies won’t even quote for the business.
I was initially quoted over a grand to insure a new Goldwing. When many companies quoted similar figures I asked why it is so expensive. That’s when I found out about the 20 k limit. Even my own insurer wouldn’t quote initially. I had several E mails going back and forth to them before they realised they did want my business as I’m such a nice chap :p.

It's the case that the new bike has list price of just over 19k. DevittBMW Motorrad have just come back with 620 but with only 200 excess, so might be able to get that down. Beats Bennetts anyway, and the reviews are far better. Will continue to ring round.

go compare is your friend while you have one bike ,the problem shows its head is when you have two or three bikes,so far i have found (be moto )to be brilliant for multi bike ,but time will tell on that one.
i have yet to find a website where you can get a quote for multibike,its normally getting on the phone

Hi, I’m with Bennett’s, cost me £97 Fully Comp on my 2017 GSA TB (June renewal) upgraded on Saturday to my new 1250 GSA TB and it cost me an extra £68, £35 of which was the admin fee. I’m calculating that to make my annual policy to be about £160 on the new 1250. I think that’s very reasonable for a £20k bike. I’ve got full NCB and I’m an old duffa (57).

That’s what happened to me when I went from a 1200 GSA TO A 1250 GS Rallye. However when the renewal came in a few months later it was over £1k.. I’m a 49 year old rider with full licence for over 15 years and a RoSPA gold award... Even after shopping around I couldn’t get it for less that £650....

12 months later and I’ve gone back to a 1200 GSA and my insurance is back down to a very reasonable £150 a year... (I didn’t go back o a 1200. Cause of the insurance)...

MCE insurance - £270.00 down £50.00 from last year, 2 years NCB - for 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA HP TE, with riding abroad and breakdown cover although the policy has a high excess.

So the 1250 cost a lot more to insure.
TFT screens are easy to steal
Brake calipers known to leak
Batterys known to fail

Think i will keep my Sept 2016 1200 bike

My 2006 hexhead was around £130 fully comp

my 16 wethead fully loaded was £160 fully comp

£30 extra for a 4 year old bike :)

But from Go Compare returns, even on a straightforward r1250 GS TE I'm still getting figures in the region of 600 quid plus high excess. I'm an oldie, no history of car/bike claims, and live in an urban area that in reality (if possibly not on paper, dunno) is low crime. Only been back to motorcycling three and a bit years though, so only 3 years ncb.

Be aware that the model can make a significant difference to what is essentially the same bike. Because of a theft, no garage and living in London a standard GS TE was £1,600 to insure and a Rallye of the same age was £7,500k and only one insurer would quote - I didn't buy the Rallye...

What pisses me off is that it doesn’t seem to apply to cars. We have 2 cars, one with LV other with Churchill. Each renewal the price usually rises by £10 or less. This year both went down.

As I said on another post, good luck getting the New Ducati V4S Multistrada insured in an inner city!

Thanks

You may get an even better response in the Insurance Section :thumb2

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/437-Insurance

For what it's worth I went through The Bike Insurer who is a broker that advertised on the forum. They came up with a premium for a fully comp policy for me via Hastings Direct (2016 GS Triple Black) of £130

I've since sold the TB and bought an R1200R Sport and the premium went down £20 :D

Old Bastard riding for 43 years living in rural Berkshire :thumb

Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Here are the results:

Hastings - wouldn't/couldn't quote an 'unlisted' vehicle
Bennetts (u/w Highway)- 660 with 650 excess
Devitts/BMW (u/w Highway) - 616 with 600 excess
MCE - 431 with 650 excess
Bemoto (u/w Highway) - 480 with 100 excess in the event of a successful claim, 600 for at fault claim (44 teeth offer - SPL special thanks!).

Whilst MCE provided a competitive quote (relatively speaking), from reading the available reviews I felt that I might be better going with Bemoto so that's what I've done.

Again, cheers for all suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom