WiFi woes resolved

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
I've been struggling for a few months with my WiFi using a 'Virginmedia Hub 3', like a lot of us spending a significant amount of time working from home using Teams/Zoom. I just dont think the inbuilt wifi router on the Virginmedia hub is up to the job, and as I'm mostly in an upstairs bedroom re-purposed as an office distance may be affecting it as well as number of devices and maybe other things interfering. I also don't like that the config software on the Virginmedia hub is just dreadfully slow and clunky.

I finally had enough of having to tether to my phone mid-meeting as the wifi bombed, or keep rebooting the hub, so decided to try and solve it by introducing a new Wifi router and just putting the Virginmedia hub into modem mode.

I've gone for a package that is probably a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut for our house, its an Asus Wifi 6, tri-band Mesh based router with two nodes so I can have one node downstairs, and one upstairs in the office (the main node downstairs is wired via ethernet to the Virginmedia modem, the other one upstairs completely wireless (apart from power obviously).

Today has been a revalation in my first full day of use, I spent 3 hours on a zoom call and it stayed stable for the whole session. Its been like night and day in terms of stability and Im delighted with the result. No mid afternoon drop outs or wobbles, and I didnt even need to re-login to my work VPN this morning as it kept the connection stable overnight.

It even has a pretty cool app and the web based control panel is night and day above the one built into the Virginmedia hub with such things as Apple 'Time Capsule' support if you plug in a hard disk via USB.

50699047208_50b8b03e3a_z.jpg

This will make life working from home a LOT easier. 34" monitor on order next.

RBW.

I've been struggling for a few months with my WiFi using a 'Virginmedia Hub 3', like a lot of us spending a significant amount of time working from home using Teams/Zoom. I just dont think the inbuilt wifi router on the Virginmedia hub is up to the job, and as I'm mostly in an upstairs bedroom re-purposed as an office distance may be affecting it as well as number of devices and maybe other things interfering. I also don't like that the config software on the Virginmedia hub is just dreadfully slow and clunky.

I finally had enough of having to tether to my phone mid-meeting as the wifi bombed, or keep rebooting the hub, so decided to try and solve it by introducing a new Wifi router and just putting the Virginmedia hub into modem mode.

I've gone for a package that is probably a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut for our house, its an Asus Wifi 6, tri-band Mesh based router with two nodes so I can have one node downstairs, and one upstairs in the office (the main node downstairs is wired via ethernet to the Virginmedia modem, the other one upstairs completely wireless (apart from power obviously).

Today has been a revalation in my first full day of use, I spent 3 hours on a zoom call and it stayed stable for the whole session. Its been like night and day in terms of stability and Im delighted with the result. No mid afternoon drop outs or wobbles, and I didnt even need to re-login to my work VPN this morning as it kept the connection stable overnight.

It even has a pretty cool app and the web based control panel is night and day above the one built into the Virginmedia hub with such things as Apple 'Time Capsule' support if you plug in a hard disk via USB.

50699047208_50b8b03e3a_z.jpg

This will make life working from home a LOT easier. 34" monitor on order next.

RBW.

What speed do you get across the wifi ?

What speed do you get across the wifi ?

On the LAN (within the house), according to the blurb 'The Asus ZenWiFi AX 6600 (XT8) sports six antennas, tri-band routing, an available ethernet backhaul, and up to 4804 Mbps of potential speed.' so the main constraint is the Virginmedia modem and speed to the internet (WAN), which gives me just over 200mb. I've tested this upstairs and downstairs and manage to consistently get 200mb to the Internet. This is the same as I had before, but it seems a damn sight more stable and reliable now after just 1 day's experience.

RBW.

I've recently bunged in an Asus wifix 6 / vigin router in modem only combo.

Welcome to the party. Saves the double natting I had for the sons gaming too.

With the current package that is 480Mb ish with the right device, Got that configured on the 2.5Gb port but suspect I wont be anywhere near that any time soon. I do like the idea of two independent 1Gb connections for that extra robustness :)

Done much the same; Broadband suppliers modem/router in modem only mode with an ASUS RT-AX88U Wireless-AX6000 AiMesh router.

Absolute revelation.

I think I have stumbled through a portal and found myself in a parallel universe where everyone is speaking some strange foreign language. :type

Please someone show me the way out.:surrender

Back
Top Bottom