Strange occurances with my GS 1200 08

jayr111

Reaction score
Do as I am moving suddenly the gear display goes blank when riding and comes on intermittently, and when this happens when switched off and stationary.. the bikes starter motor does not turn. Anyone know what the error is or faced similar problems? Also it goes dead suddenly ever so often maybe once a week when riding.. but restarts immediately. Thanks for your help! Cheers j

The gear position sensor is mounted on the rear of the gearbox.
It is actually a potentiometer but the wipers in it are unusually sharp so a carbon build up inside causes problems.
If careful it can be removed, dismantled and the track cleaned.
The bike will not start if the sensor is not showing neutral, unless the clutch switch is operated.

Ok understood, so is it the same reason it goes completely dead while riding ? It can be quite dangerous as it happened to me on the M25 🙄

The stopping issue and the Gear position indicator are not linked

The fuel pump controller sits in a well (What fucking Clever Teutonic Twat thought that one through on a motorcyle!!)

Anyway the seal can shrink or not be fitted right and if water crosses the two pump wires the controller "blows" its virtual fuse which resets next ignition cycle

You can try removing and checking for water ingress If the controller is "alloy" and white powdery fit a new controller and the updated seal

You could try calling whatever BMW service is nearest and give them your frame number and see if your bike is due any
outstanding safety campaigns

Gear position indicator could be either water in the plug which screws things up or there is a problem with the main ECU I had this on a mates bike a few years back

he didn;t want to pay for a new ECU and I fitted him a hidden Starter button wired directly to the starter solenoid to use when the issue arose

Could it be the kickstand switch? I remember having something similar and Williams Manchester replaced said switch.

Ignition or headstock wiring. I had both issues and I can't remember which it was that caused cutout on motorway - that happened to me too. If you search my posts from 2018 there will be something on there. I would replace ignition (cheap part and fairly easy replacement). Headstock wiring you can tell if problem arises when you move bars to full lock. Again I posted on here about it

Back
Top Bottom