Pinlock

dredgetall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have finally given up with the Pinlock system and just ordered an after market, I change my visor and Pinlock each year and I have found the last three to be rubbish after a few weeks they lift off at the bottom,you can re seat them as many times as you like and they still pop away from the visor. I now have to use clear tape to stick them down.
Any one else had the same problems

I have finally given up with the Pinlock system and just ordered an after market, I change my visor and Pinlock each year and I have found the last three to be rubbish after a few weeks they lift off at the bottom,you can re seat them as many times as you like and they still pop away from the visor. I now have to use clear tape to stick them down.
No.....

I've posted my opinions on pinlocks ad nauseam on here. I've never had any time for them. All the ones I've had have steamed up on the inside of the pinlock, which is worse than the visor steaming.

Surely the wrong part of the forum, not just the preserve of Oilheads.

I have only used genuine pinlocks, with Shoei, Arai, Schuberth and BMW system 7 helmets, never had a problem with the pinlocks, generally they last about 20,000 miles or two years.

I've posted my opinions on pinlocks ad nauseam on here. I've never had any time for them. All the ones I've had have steamed up on the inside of the pinlock, which is worse than the visor steaming.

I agree that if the steaming is between the visor and pinlock it must be worse, surely that can only happen if the seal is poor or the pinlocks fitted in damp conditions

Do you adjust the eccentric locating pins to set the Pinlock against the Visor?

I've had pinlocks for years in my Shoei helmets. The only times they have steamed up is when I haven't refitted them properly after cleaning them.

I purchased a neotech 2 last year at the nec and had the pinlock fitted by the shoei guys. It was a cold night and the ride home touched 0c. Annoyingly I had misting issues which appeared to be on the back of the pinlock itself. The seal was fine as no water was getting in between the visor and pinlock. I had to ride home with the visor cracked open a little which mitigated the issue.

I’ve since experimented a lot and found the issue was due to lack of airflow coming into the helmet. Throughout winter I normally use a vstream windshield which is brilliant at reducing buffeting and keeping most of the wind off me. The problem is it’s so good it’s stops most of the airflow through the helmet.

Switching to my much smaller summer screen I’ve never experienced the same issue including on the cold wet days. It seems for me having decent airflow through the helmet with the pinlock helped.

On all my sports bikes pinlock has been brilliant so I was miffed when having issues with a brand new helmet on the gs!

Glad it's not just me.

The thing i really dislike about pinlock is that they reduce your peripheral vision.

Bob Heath every ride and I'm happy.

I agree that if the steaming is between the visor and pinlock it must be worse, surely that can only happen if the seal is poor or the pinlocks fitted in damp conditions
Probably, but I imagined that these things were intended to be fitted when it was damp.

I took mine to an 'authorised pinlock dealer' and he couldn't make it seal either. (Shoei Neotec)

I purchased a neotech 2 last year at the nec and had the pinlock fitted by the shoei guys. It was a cold night and the ride home touched 0c. Annoyingly I had misting issues which appeared to be on the back of the pinlock itself. The seal was fine as no water was getting in between the visor and pinlock. I had to ride home with the visor cracked open a little which mitigated the issue.

I’ve since experimented a lot and found the issue was due to lack of airflow coming into the helmet. Throughout winter I normally use a vstream windshield which is brilliant at reducing buffeting and keeping most of the wind off me. The problem is it’s so good it’s stops most of the airflow through the helmet.

Switching to my much smaller summer screen I’ve never experienced the same issue including on the cold wet days. It seems for me having decent airflow through the helmet with the pinlock helped.

On all my sports bikes pinlock has been brilliant so I was miffed when having issues with a brand new helmet on the gs!
Sure, but that would surely help with or without a pinlock?

Sure, but that would surely help with or without a pinlock?

No chance in rain and single digit temp without a pinlock. I've tried all the sprays from my time diving and snowboarding and biking. Pinlock is by far the best for me but I've had issues with the Neotec but since using the smaller screen they've all disappeared. Maybe I just had a Dodgy pinlock!

No chance in rain and single digit temp without a pinlock. I've tried all the sprays from my time diving and snowboarding and biking. Pinlock is by far the best for me but I've had issues with the Neotec but since using the smaller screen they've all disappeared. Maybe I just had a Dodgy pinlock!
Maybe I had one too.:rolleyes:

I'm sure I'd read somewhere about Bell or MT making a double glazed visor, you'd think Shoei would be able to come up with a permanent solution over sticking a piece of clear plastic inside a visor.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I've only had pinlocks in two recent helmets in 30+ years riding... More annoying in my winter Fullface shoei I see that the 1st indent on visor is about 20mm rather than the old 5ish... Even with pinlock I sometimes like a bit of air... I wouldn't say pinlocks are overrated but they aren't the be all n end all and perhaps we can still ride without if necessary...

I've never had any problems with the pinlock fitted to my caberge tourmax, my mate bought the exact helmet & had loads of trouble to the point the pinlock would fil up with water.
It all comes down to taking care when fitting, I usually use a hair dryer on a low heat setting all around the pinlock seal, it makes it a little more plyable, works for me.

Ian.

Many helmets and several w PL. only had a problem one time until i realized that the pins are eccentric. Then no more issues. If

Seems to me Pinlocks work better in some helmets than others. Many of the failures appear to be with Neotecs.

Back
Top Bottom