I asked a polite question and then .........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has it to do with me ? Seriously ? Everyone including you have been asked to only travel if it’s “absolutely essential “. The virus doesn’t travel, we spread it. Unlike the UK the Irish have driven down the R number again by limiting contact and while we are all feeling tired and fed up of new restrictions most here are not being selfish and are trying to stop the spread so that more families are spared the worry of having a loved one in ICU.
This is probably why you got the reply that was given

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Given Overlanders are a professional company encouraging & promoting biker travel, and DerekR is an ambassador for that company, am surprised he doesn't mention covid restrictions and provide tips on how to stay safe when travelling around countries on a motorbike in these unusual times. Have any of the Bike, Ride mags etc provided articles with such info? Whilst Luke's enquiry was a tad blunt, as a professional representing a 'Brand' the reply attitude by DerekR seems strangely amature. :nenau

Luke, you're right.....and you're wrong. The initial remark may have got his back up, but also he could have been simply been having a bad day.
I think that provided you travel sensibly and take care you can be safe. This year we did 2 weeks around Scotland, A week around France and 5 days in Germany ( cut short as we had to change plans as the R rate went up, yes, we bottled it :blast. All OK.
After all that I got the No-No virus at home, I think I got it on site at work, even whilst trying to maintain social distance. Just shows.

Unlike the UK the Irish have driven down the R number again by limiting contact and while we are all feeling tired and fed up of new restrictions most here are not being selfish and are trying to stop the spread so that more families are spared the worry of having a loved one in ICU.

Luke, this is nonsense.......in as much as the UK in its various parts, Wales, Scotland and England and NI have also driven down the r number, have also had/have restrictions in place and the same as Ireland, most here are not being selfish.

I probably racked up about 3000 miles during lockdown around Scotland although never that far on a daily basis.

I rode alone, stopped on my own, spoke to no one, I'd be interested to know how I'd manage to spread the virus during that time.

Posts on social media are all part of the business he promotes.

Nothing wrong with expecting anyone with half a brain to mention the most talked about element of 2020 and in fact it adds to content, keeping the reports current.

He got pulled and turned into a crier - fuck buying his stock, there's plenty of others.

You pinned him down publicly - I think his response could have been predicted.

You pinned him down publicly - I think his response could have been predicted.

No. I sent him a private message. I actually expected a “I do my best to distance and I isolate” type reply. My query would have gone away and I might have spent some money in their shop. I didn’t call him out publicly.

No. I sent him a private message. I actually expected a “I do my best to distance and I isolate” type reply. My query would have gone away and I might have spent some money in their shop. I didn’t call him out publicly.

Ah! sorry, read the original post a few hours and just went back to what I "thought" it was.

My response would have been similar to Derek's :thumb

And that’s fine. But you’re business does not depend on the COVID-19 infection rate dropping. His business needs bikers to ship their bikes. If Italy and Spain are bad again in 2021 then the majority of folk won’t travel.

Three pages. I’m surprised. :aidan

And that’s fine. But you’re business does not depend on the COVID-19 infection rate dropping. His business needs bikers to ship their bikes. If Italy and Spain are bad again in 2021 then the majority of folk won’t travel.....
I was speaking as if I was in his situation :thumb2

There is only one way out of this whole Convid malarkey, I suspect Derek knows that too :)

If I were Derek I wouldn’t be replying to any further private messages from you once I knew they might be re-posted on a public forum.

I thought the question very reasonable and relevant. It would have been interesting to hear all hoops (if any) he had to go trough to comply with all the different regulations in the different countries he visited. Was there a cost involved? How long delayed? What was it like in isolation if any had to be undertaken? Or did he just wing it without any consideration for any laws? Would form a good interesting chapter of any travel story. JJH

I think Derek’s tone is wrong- no matter the sentiment. Maybe just a reaction to a bad day.

I think Derek’s tone is wrong- no matter the sentiment. Maybe just a reaction to a bad day.
Not just a bad day.... a bad 8 months.

More and more business owners have had enough of all the bullshite.

I can only thank God that 80-90% of the population in general complied with the Regulations, advice & guidelines because it is a matter of fact what happens when the regulations were relaxed. Covid takes off again and the hospitals fill beyond capacity to the point that they are unable to deal with, not only Covid but all the other diseases that take our loved ones. We are nearing the end of this pandemic so play your part, it could be one of my family or someone else’s who can’t get their Cancer treatment because of another’s selfishness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom