I asked a polite question and then .........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke scott

Reaction score
Over on Facebook Derek Rynhart from Overlanders has been travelling through Europe for several weeks on his bike and posting about his exploits. Every time he posted I noticed he made no reference to restrictions or Covid-19. I decided to message him and put a few questions to him. I sent what I felt was a balanced and polite message. :augie

I'd say it was a fairly diplomatic reply to what on the face of it seems a nosey busy body asking questions of someone out there doing their own thing.

He has blocked me so I can’t reply. I have used Overlanders in the past and they are professional and honest but I find Dereks attitude surprising to a past and potentially future customer. I had even planned on calling them next week to see if they had done a servoectomy (see my thread on a failing servo) after they were recommended by another member here. His son has a profile on ukgser so I hope he passes my comments on to Derek.

He sounds a little pissed off with you questioning him, quite possibly you're not the first to do so and he's got sick of it.

I would say Derek is a selfish self-opinionated super spreader ... but hey ... what do i know.

Probably change his views and actions when he contracts Covid or a close family member or friend is seriously ill or dies due to exposure to the virus.

Ive seen a change of view happen overnight when a sheltering family member became desperately ill from covid and the family ‘non believer’ was the only person within the household to go outside visiting pubs and playing Sunday football etc.

Best leave parcels from Overlanders a few days before you open them.

You sound like a bed wetter with too much time on his hands. His reply is entirely justified. If everyone thought like you this would carry on for years and years and we would never get any semblance of normal back. Life goes on, stop living in fear.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Luke, I can see why you may have asked the question and he got a bit shirty with his reply, but he does have a point.
Last summer very few people went anywhere, yet you could if you wanted to.I went to France numerous times, plus Spain and Greece in the last few months.
I’ve also travelled worldwide throughout 2020.Had numerous covid tests and all negative.
What I’m trying to say is you can still catch it without leaving your village but if you do venture out , then it is still possible to be safe as long as you are sensible.
And you post may well have come across a bit ‘wtf are you doing travelling when we’re stuck at home’ !

I think if you are traveling by bike and camping your contact with people is fairly small , but I think your question was reasonable and as said if he contracts covid and falls seriously ill with it I hope his insurance covers him or his hospital bills will crlpple him .

Over on Facebook Derek Rynhart from Overlanders has been travelling through Europe for several weeks on his bike and posting about his exploits. Every time he posted I noticed he made no reference to restrictions or Covid-19. I decided to message him and put a few questions to him. I sent what I felt was a balanced and polite message. :augie
What has it got to do with you? Causing an effect? Sad.

Why even ask, it seems fairly transparent why you decided to go out of your way and then report it here like a little prefect. Maybe, just possibly life goes on for some people without being a nodding dog, I'd say its a fairly polite reply to a busy body snooper.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I think he reacted to you badly because it didn’t seem like a question, it read much more like you giving him your opinion . I think opening with your “elephant in the room” remark probably got his heckles up right from the start :nenau

From your initial post Luke I thought perhaps you were genuinely interested in how easy / difficult he was finding it to travel ?

An excellent demonstration of the ‘Cummings Effect’, everyone though he was a cunt so why not this bloke ?

You sound like a bed wetter with too much time on his hands. His reply is entirely justified. If everyone thought like you this would carry on for years and years and we would never get any semblance of normal back. Life goes on, stop living in fear.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

What a balanced and insightful comment on how “you” view COVID. :rolleyes:

Luke, I can see why you may have asked the question and he got a bit shirty with his reply, but he does have a point.
Last summer very few people went anywhere, yet you could if you wanted to.I went to France numerous times, plus Spain and Greece in the last few months.
I’ve also travelled worldwide throughout 2020.Had numerous covid tests and all negative.
What I’m trying to say is you can still catch it without leaving your village but if you do venture out , then it is still possible to be safe as long as you are sensible.
And you post may well have come across a bit ‘wtf are you doing travelling when we’re stuck at home’ !

Good reply Arsey. I suppose what I noticed most in his posts was a total absence of comment on COVID and the way it impacted on the economy and people in the places he was travelling through. Selfish is the word I’d use to describe his attitude.

I think if you are traveling by bike and camping your contact with people is fairly small , but I think your question was reasonable and as said if he contracts covid and falls seriously ill with it I hope his insurance covers him or his hospital bills will crlpple him .

Good point on travel insurance. Then there’s also the possibility of Long Covid and the issues that’s bringing to its victims. When I messaged him I chose my words carefully and didn’t post on his FB page like some of the keyboard warriors here on ukgser. His reply to a past and potentially future customer and his immediate blocking of me sadly speaks volumes of his mindset. Thanks for your comments.

I did a 28 day trip in June this year through Europe.

I didn’t write it up at the time as I knew I’d get a load of Covid grief from the usual protagonist legends on here, even though I complied with all regulations in each country I visited.

I’ll write it up soon.

If he’s done that, then I see no issue.

Maybe he doesn’t reference it because his blog is a welcome bit of “Covid free” time for people to enjoy ?

I’ve not read it but, if he’s been legal and safe then good luck to him.

You are perfectly entitled to question it as I guess it’s an open forum, and thus invites robust debate.

What has it got to do with you? Causing an effect? Sad.

Why even ask, it seems fairly transparent why you decided to go out of your way and then report it here like a little prefect. Maybe, just possibly life goes on for some people without being a nodding dog, I'd say its a fairly polite reply to a busy body snooper.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

What has it to do with me ? Seriously ? Everyone including you have been asked to only travel if it’s “absolutely essential “. The virus doesn’t travel, we spread it. Unlike the UK the Irish have driven down the R number again by limiting contact and while we are all feeling tired and fed up of new restrictions most here are not being selfish and are trying to stop the spread so that more families are spared the worry of having a loved one in ICU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom