remember when .....

alphadog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
remember when we didnt know about adventure bikes and just took the bike we had,1982 Zimbabwe tour, from joburg south africa,hundreds of the worst dirt roads imaginable , racing fairing shook itself to a thousand bits, both forks lost all there oil, and i rode back from kariba dam to joburg with a knobbly front tyre on the bike, i purchased the tyre from a farmer in the middle of nowhere as zim had no tyres at the time,i think his old bike was an ag yamaha 175, tyres changed with two very large screwdrivers !
the wildlife went absolutely apeshit with the sound of those stucchi exhausts. i was with my older brother who had the lemans 11 at the time. we had two small backpacks, couple of swiss army knives, no tools. how stupid it all seems now.

Attachments

• Stephen-Guzzi3.jpg
    Stephen-Guzzi3.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 386
It wasn't 'stupid' at all. You were living/riding without a head full of modern day clutter, which leaves so much more head room for taking in the whole experience.

Nice one....:)

It wasn't 'stupid' at all. You were living/riding without a head full of modern day clutter, which leaves so much more head room for taking in the whole experience.

Nice one....:)

What a great way to put it, perfect :thumb2

Nice one alphadog:) and it reminds us once again we don’t need what the marketing bods deem essential for going beyond Starbucks.....

Andres

Great post and pic
:okay

Just how did you cope without an SOS button on the handlebars

:beerjug:

The one (any) bike did it all days. No “experts” telling us we need £20k worth of shite to make it to Tesco’s and back. :blast
Great post, :thumb2

Indeed, grab credit card, insert key, go ride .....

Come back . You forgot something :)

aee543f699ddf52f9d0fabbfbbb8ba22.jpg

Don’t be ridiculous, my Bel Vitas are always safely stashed away in my Touratech Tool Box.

With a bit of cramming it’s good for 11, which is nearly 4 days worth

We set off from the UK in April 91 and got back a year later, Zimbabwe was definitely the highlight of the trip - Kariba, Harare, Chimananimani, Bulawayo, Victoria Fals etc, etc. Really beautiful country and looking forward to going back although, no doubt, will be disappointed with what has happened over the past 30 years. We were travelling on a more or less standard 100gs although had a bit more luggage

Attachments

• AA86ECF0-6AEC-4D19-A76E-C657EF55C611.jpg
    AA86ECF0-6AEC-4D19-A76E-C657EF55C611.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 248
Is that a water cooler bay hanging from the handle bar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, traditionally made from goatskin but we found the canvas ones worked better although had to try a few before we found one that didn’t leak too much.

remember when we didnt know about adventure bikes and just took the bike we had,1982 Zimbabwe tour, from joburg south africa,hundreds of the worst dirt roads imaginable , racing fairing shook itself to a thousand bits, both forks lost all there oil, and i rode back from kariba dam to joburg with a knobbly front tyre on the bike, i purchased the tyre from a farmer in the middle of nowhere as zim had no tyres at the time,i think his old bike was an ag yamaha 175, tyres changed with two very large screwdrivers !
the wildlife went absolutely apeshit with the sound of those stucchi exhausts. i was with my older brother who had the lemans 11 at the time. we had two small backpacks, couple of swiss army knives, no tools. how stupid it all seems now.

Great story! And at least you had the good sense to ride with a crash helmet on.............................. the back of your seat!:beerjug: :D

Great story! And at least you had the good sense to ride with a crash helmet on.............................. the back of your seat!:beerjug: :D

yep, none of those fancy helmet rules in zim at that time,far to many other things going on.

this thread had me digging around for some more pix, to show the entire luggage system that we had for the 7 day 5 thousand kilo run, those silly little plastic saddle bags lasted two days before the stucchi pipes set them on fire.

Attachments

• guzzi zim (3).jpg
    guzzi zim (3).jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 158
  • guzzi zim (1).jpg
    guzzi zim (1).jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 145
  • guzzi zim (2).jpg
    guzzi zim (2).jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 143
  • guzzi zim (4).jpg
    guzzi zim (4).jpg