Rear wheel removal

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Piss taking I know so here goes.

I have looked all over for tips but was wondering if there are any secret tips for removing the rear wheel on a Road king as I need a new tyre?

Thanks in advance

Jack it up high enough to get clearance between wheel and mudguard. Need a bike lift of some description. Undo wheel, jack bike up, lift out.

Cheers again and again for the tips. Will have a go at this soon would it make life easier if I take off the mufflers. Also was toying with the idea of changing to cast wheels. It looks like from the parts diagrams that all the parts axles, discs spacers etc are interchangable am I correct in this thinking?

Cheers again and again for the tips. Will have a go at this soon would it make life easier if I take off the mufflers. Also was toying with the idea of changing to cast wheels. It looks like from the parts diagrams that all the parts axles, discs spacers etc are interchangable am I correct in this thinking?

Mine was easier to take off the silencers as I recall as they fouled the spindle and spindle nut. No idea about interchangability.

Jack it up high as possible

Remove bags and silencers....

Sit behind the wheel with your legs either side... knock through the spindle and lower and roll the wheel forward in one movement....

It will come away clean... watch your spacers.... they may differ on the brake disc side... mine do

Get one of these lifts ..they fold flat to slide under the bike ..used one on my evo dyna..lifted no bother and was secure while I removed the rear wheel also used it near the front when I removed the front wheel for new tyres..

Attachments

• 3979-500kg-motorcycle-motorbike-stand-scissor-lift-jack-workshop.jpg
    3979-500kg-motorcycle-motorbike-stand-scissor-lift-jack-workshop.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 258
Get one of these lifts ..they fold flat to slide under the bike ..used one on my evo dyna..lifted no bother and was secure while I removed the rear wheel also used it near the front when I removed the front wheel for new tyres..

Curious how, being only two points, you lift the bike high enough off the ground to drop the rear wheel?

Found this photo on the net of the lift I use...

Attachments

• 19699A90-09E8-4821-9B8A-4350AF1F132C.jpeg
    19699A90-09E8-4821-9B8A-4350AF1F132C.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 7032BF60-1186-4441-8C95-40065DF1FAC4.jpeg
    7032BF60-1186-4441-8C95-40065DF1FAC4.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 248
My Buddy and I always use something like this for rear wheel removal. Very secure, fast, easy. Just levers the bike right up. Something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptm-pp2906

The reviews on that one in the link aren’t good. My buddy may have made his - not sure where it came from.

Here’s a diy version. Pretty simple device really.
https://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-motorcycle-lever-lift

And that gives you enough height to remove the rear wheel of a Roadking without removing bags, fender* etc?

* sorry Wood Boy

And that gives you enough height to remove the rear wheel of a Roadking without removing bags, fender* etc?

* sorry Wood Boy

Height on the one my buddy made was fine - maybe 12”(?). Didn’t have to remove the fender at all - ‘04 FLHRS.
I had a Bassani RoadRage 2:1 (which was an awesome system, btw) and my bike was an inch lower from the factory than the regular FLHR. I did have to remove the left bag (quick release fasteners - easy), and undo the left support rail for the bag in order to get the axle out. I don’t recall if I had to do same on right side or not. Definitely didn’t have to remove the muffler.

A non-welding way to make one would be a 2-3 foot long chunk of 4x12 (I know - where do you get one of those from??), with a hole in one side big enough for a 5’ long length of rebar, with a bend in it about a foot from one end. You slide the wood under the bike, put the rebar in the hole, then lever it up under the frame.

Cheers for all the tips, Have read on here and other places abot the Avon Cobra tyres are these my best bet?

Cheers for all the tips, Have read on here and other places abot the Avon Cobra tyres are these my best bet?

Most of us prefer them over standard Dunlop’s ... but you need to run 4-5 psi up on recommended settings..

I’m a fan..

Piss taking I know so here goes.

I have looked all over for tips but was wondering if there are any secret tips for removing the rear wheel on a Road king as I need a new tyre?

Thanks in advance

Ride bike to tyre place, leave bike, collect when done .

Andres xx.

All true, however I maybe helping them with more serious matters while they have their boy doing my tyres.

Andres xx.

Back
Top Bottom