10 years with an oil head. Considering the LC

We seem to have shot off at a tangent here folks.

Tech sections are meant to be for technical help and advice etc.... as interesting as your thoughts are, please keep further thoughts and views in the 'Virtual Pub'.

Boxerlust , you really need to stop taking those drugs. They’re making you sound like an eejit ( as they say in Scotland ). Your grammar is also very poor ( it’s even worse than mine .... if that’s possible )��

Hi if there's anyone still out there from this thread I started I already commented thanks for the thoughts and that I'd got a 1250GSA in the end. 20 plate, ex demo model.
FWIW here's my initial impressions, I would be interested in any observations on the noise I get! Bear in mind, my first LC, I came from a 2010 TC GSA.
1. Noise - At speeds up to say 40mph (before wind noise takes over) I notice a lot more mechanical noise (it's not the tyres/road surface) which seems to come up between the forks front of tank. Really quite noisy. Almost like I have a very noisy alternator belt whizzing round. NOT a nice noise to be fair. Not nice like a growly exhaust, just a bit annoying and definitely way more than my 2010 TC. The bike is pretty well run in, 1600 miles on it. I wonder if this is normal for a LC bike and was a feature of the LC 1200's since 2013??? I did ride an LC for two days at the BMW off road school in Wales in 2014 and that included a 10 minute road ride each day. I really don't recall this noise. Very weird!
2. Manhandling the bike around the garage - when I push the bike around in the garage I usually do it with the bike in first gear, engine off, clutch held in. Unlike any bike I have owned before (BMW GS 2010, Suzuki, Kawasaki the list goes on) the bike doesn't want to be pushed 'forwards' but will let itself be pushed backward. Bloody weird! It's like the clutch is dragging. Yet when being ridden, the clutch works fine. is this normal?
3. Riders seat. I have the TE Exclusive 1250 with the usual 2 part seat. The rearmost part of the riders seat, when you press it, clearly has zero padding under the vinyl, until you push it down about 1 inch. Like there's a bit of foam missing. I had a quick 'feel' of a 1200 LC GS parked outside the local bike shop and it's seat is the same. Again, very weird.
4. Onto positives. I like the bike. The engine is a stonker. Love it. Pulls like a train. So much more fun that the 2010 GSA TC I had. I love the exhaust note too. (Just wish it didn't sound like a whirring bag of bits at low speed). I've been riding in Road mode so far.
5. Front end is notably lighter than the TC GSA. No wonder it has a damper on it. However, I got used to the feel and I note that the bike is more flickable, handles well but I do have to pay attention because the slightest steering input (even unwittingly while I'm gazing at the lovely TFT screen) sends me where I shouldn't be riding!
6. TFT screen - wow, my ageing eyes can actually read everything!! I wear reading glasses so in the last few years have noticed on the old bike I was struggling, especially at night. The TFT is outstanding, so clear. I have heard some people diss the menu system etc but i find it intuitive.
7. Build quality - so far the build quality looks to be vg.
8. Screen. Very good, I like the adjustment mechanism. However, I am 6' 4" so I may need to get a screen fin/extender or a replacement screen to cut out the wind hitting the helmet noise. (I had to on my last GSA)
9. Keyless ignition - took an old 'late adopter' fart like me a few days to get the hang of it but it's great. No more getting the gloves on then realising you've buried your bike keys in a zipped pocket under your waterproofs!! (and no, I don't hang keys round my neck on a cord, I can think of easier ways of strangling myself in an 'off' :) )
10. If you want to find out anything about GS's, go to this forum!! (Provided you don't mind the way threads tend to 'digress' :) )
Thanks again all.
Jim

Yes to a lot of (tyre) noise, whole chunks of the forum devoted to it.
You now have a wet clutch, probably will cause some drag.

@Jimupahill - Just got back from 3 weeks in Mexico...Great trip - love the GS ! To answer some of your observations...The noise you mentioned coming from between the tank and the TFT I suspect is tire noise as my GS-ADV 1250 and now GS 1250 did the same.As for sound at lower speeds the stocker is missing I recommend the Akra EU-3 pipe where the DB-Killers can be easily removed...It takes care of that problem:thumb
Enjoy !

Hi if there's anyone still out there from this thread I started I already commented thanks for the thoughts and that I'd got a 1250GSA in the end. 20 plate, ex demo model.
FWIW here's my initial impressions, I would be interested in any observations on the noise I get! Bear in mind, my first LC, I came from a 2010 TC GSA.
1. Noise - At speeds up to say 40mph (before wind noise takes over) I notice a lot more mechanical noise (it's not the tyres/road surface) which seems to come up between the forks front of tank. Really quite noisy. Almost like I have a very noisy alternator belt whizzing round. NOT a nice noise to be fair. Not nice like a growly exhaust, just a bit annoying and definitely way more than my 2010 TC. The bike is pretty well run in, 1600 miles on it. I wonder if this is normal for a LC bike and was a feature of the LC 1200's since 2013??? I did ride an LC for two days at the BMW off road school in Wales in 2014 and that included a 10 minute road ride each day. I really don't recall this noise. Very weird!
2. Manhandling the bike around the garage - when I push the bike around in the garage I usually do it with the bike in first gear, engine off, clutch held in. Unlike any bike I have owned before (BMW GS 2010, Suzuki, Kawasaki the list goes on) the bike doesn't want to be pushed 'forwards' but will let itself be pushed backward. Bloody weird! It's like the clutch is dragging. Yet when being ridden, the clutch works fine. is this normal?
3. Riders seat. I have the TE Exclusive 1250 with the usual 2 part seat. The rearmost part of the riders seat, when you press it, clearly has zero padding under the vinyl, until you push it down about 1 inch. Like there's a bit of foam missing. I had a quick 'feel' of a 1200 LC GS parked outside the local bike shop and it's seat is the same. Again, very weird.
4. Onto positives. I like the bike. The engine is a stonker. Love it. Pulls like a train. So much more fun that the 2010 GSA TC I had. I love the exhaust note too. (Just wish it didn't sound like a whirring bag of bits at low speed). I've been riding in Road mode so far.
5. Front end is notably lighter than the TC GSA. No wonder it has a damper on it. However, I got used to the feel and I note that the bike is more flickable, handles well but I do have to pay attention because the slightest steering input (even unwittingly while I'm gazing at the lovely TFT screen) sends me where I shouldn't be riding!
6. TFT screen - wow, my ageing eyes can actually read everything!! I wear reading glasses so in the last few years have noticed on the old bike I was struggling, especially at night. The TFT is outstanding, so clear. I have heard some people diss the menu system etc but i find it intuitive.
7. Build quality - so far the build quality looks to be vg.
8. Screen. Very good, I like the adjustment mechanism. However, I am 6' 4" so I may need to get a screen fin/extender or a replacement screen to cut out the wind hitting the helmet noise. (I had to on my last GSA)
9. Keyless ignition - took an old 'late adopter' fart like me a few days to get the hang of it but it's great. No more getting the gloves on then realising you've buried your bike keys in a zipped pocket under your waterproofs!! (and no, I don't hang keys round my neck on a cord, I can think of easier ways of strangling myself in an 'off' :) )
10. If you want to find out anything about GS's, go to this forum!! (Provided you don't mind the way threads tend to 'digress' :) )
Thanks again all.
Jim

Thanks for the update Jim ,I'm looking very soon to move on from my 2008 hexhead to a 1250gs ,let's hope I'm not disappointed ��

Going from a 2008 hexhead to a new 1250 is a big upgrade...More power,better handling,better lights,better clutch and no more need to sync the throttle bodies ! And you even have ECO mode if you want to go as slow as the old bike was ever fast ;)

Back
Top Bottom