Office?

Skippy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Probably asked before or embedded in another answer ....

I am leaving work this week and have been allowed to take my MacBook Air (late 2015) with me. I use Office on it at the moment and would like to keep it that way, particularly Outlook and Word. Kicking myself for not upgrading to a Pro when offered!! :blast

I also have my own MabBook Air (late 2013) and would like to, but not essential, add Office to it too.

Is my option to go for either Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family (I can always use the other 4 licences on other members of the wider family machines, assuming they are upgradeable to take it?

I assume the company machine will lose it's MS Office/365 as the licence will be a company issue (I assume). Or, doesn't it work like that? :nenau

Any company with a decent IT policy would want to wipe the device so that any data relating to the business is removed, just leaving you with the operating system and any other software registered to the device when it was new. You really need to talk to the IT manager about what will remain on the device afterwards. Personally, I would not want any data related to my ex employer left on the device.

Any company with a decent IT policy would want to wipe the device so that any data relating to the business is removed, just leaving you with the operating system and any other software registered to the device when it was new. You really need to talk to the IT manager about what will remain on the device afterwards. Personally, I would not want any data related to my ex employer left on the device.

Exactly! I work for a company that's involved in that, including mobiles. They will wipe it and hence the question about me personally buying into a MS licence for it and the other MacBook. I only want to retain all the docs etc that are personal, saved to iCloud and on to a desktop folder.

I would also want my Personal emails to be accessible, if possible.

MS Office365 is connected to your organisation account (i.e. skippy@company.com). Wiping the device will remove the executables but there is nothing stopping you downloading/activating the Office product using your work credentials... until, of course, those creds no longer work as they have been disabled/deleted by your company and no longer synched/federated to the "cloud".

In simple terms, go to HotUKdeals or similar and find a deal on Office365 sub, like this one and get your own copy. It comes with cloud storage(OneDrive), etc. Things do get a bit trickier when you use the same address for your personal and company account (like skippy@outlook.com or skippy@gmail.com, for example). Also if your employer is, say a University, you sometimes get to keep your mail as an alumni...

Hope that helps...

Exactly! I work for a company that's involved in that, including mobiles. They will wipe it and hence the question about me personally buying into a MS licence for it and the other MacBook. I only want to retain all the docs etc that are personal, saved to iCloud and on to a desktop folder.

I'm not allowed, and wouldn't anyway, use my work laptop for personal documents and email. We can't access any cloud based storage or internet email like Gmail. There again, I work for a public body that is highly regulated and has to keep records for 100 years. I can sneak in a document by email from my personal laptop to print but it is deleted as soon as the deed is done.

make sure data is saved to "your i cloud", not the companies store...did you use MS teams? As their one drive will mean you lose access to that store, if you used that access?

Back
Top Bottom