Ignorance rears it's ugly head once more

fox889

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning Gents & Gentesses, festive greetings & new year cobblers to everyone.

I've noticed on 2 separate threads on here when talking about checking one's engine oil level, that you should lay the bike down slightly, courtesy of the side stand, for a few minutes then onto the main stand......then check the oil level.
What is the significance of the 'lay down' part [hence ignorance rears it's ugly head once more:)].
My 1150GS on side stand leans at an alarming angle even with new bush & pin, so the oil must drain from somewhere? [going to 'puck' the foot on the side stand].

Appreciate your knowledgeable thoughts on the above, go easy, I'm only in my first year of GS ownership & knocking on a bit in age:):)

Correct me if I am wrong but nowhere in the manual does it state the lean-on-the-sidestand method to check the oil.
Leave the bike on fairly even ground for few mins then check the oil. That’s all there is to it.
Obviously there is a difference between cold and warm oil, but the principle stays...

Albatross: I wasn't inferring checking the oil level "on the side stand" merely asking why so many say "put the bike on the side stand first for a minute or so THEN plant her on the main stand".
Does leaning the bike allow excess oil from the head area to drip down?? I dunno!

Morning Gents & Gentesses, festive greetings & new year cobblers to everyone.

I've noticed on 2 separate threads on here when talking about checking one's engine oil level, that you should lay the bike down slightly, courtesy of the side stand, for a few minutes then onto the main stand......then check the oil level.
What is the significance of the 'lay down' part [hence ignorance rears it's ugly head once more:)].
My 1150GS on side stand leans at an alarming angle even with new bush & pin, so the oil must drain from somewhere? [going to 'puck' the foot on the side stand].

Appreciate your knowledgeable thoughts on the above, go easy, I'm only in my first year of GS ownership & knocking on a bit in age:):)

Side stand first allows the oil to drain back to the sump, from oil lines and oil cooler etc
Then onto the centre stand

Side stand first allows the oil to drain back to the sump, from oil lines and oil cooler etc
Then onto the centre stand

Leave on the side stand for 10 mins ish. Pop it onto the centre stand. Fill to the half way point in the sight glass. Done

which ever method you choose always use that one and then you will know if it needs topping up and never fill it to the top of the site glass

which ever method you choose always use that one and then you will know if it needs topping up and never fill it to the top of the site glass
Wot he says

Just stick to one method. Personally I never bother with the side stand business. Just straight into the main stand.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

And what happens if you didn't get a centre stand..... Well I have been confused some times. Used to have the centre stand on my1150. End of ride, put on centre stand, check oil when cold and fill accordingly. Great. Then removed centre stand. Sometimes I know there is oil in as in just a few thousand miles after a service, but leaving it now on the side stand and looking in I see ZERO oil. Ride it to work and back, do the same thing, next morning its got oil again! How the hell does that happen... I have now taken to resting it on side stand then balancing it upright with a wood puck!

What's the best grade of oil to use for the centre stand technique and which is best for straight onto the centre stand?

I know, I'll get my hat and coat.

The oil can get trapped in the cooler/radiator part of the circuit if the thermostat hasn't opened fully. So the best way to get a consistent check is to always ensure that the oil has become hot enough to use the full circuit, and then if you can leave it on the side stand for a few minutes it means the oil can drain more easily (not get trapped), before checking worth the bike upright.

What's the best grade of oil to use for the centre stand technique and which is best for straight onto the centre stand?

I use Lithium Grease on both so that I don`t get confused.

And what happens if you didn't get a centre stand..... Well I have been confused some times. Used to have the centre stand on my1150. End of ride, put on centre stand, check oil when cold and fill accordingly. Great. Then removed centre stand. Sometimes I know there is oil in as in just a few thousand miles after a service, but leaving it now on the side stand and looking in I see ZERO oil. Ride it to work and back, do the same thing, next morning its got oil again! How the hell does that happen... I have now taken to resting it on side stand then balancing it upright with a wood puck!
You do make it sound very complicated

If you haven't got a main stand, then (if it was me) leave it on the side stand for some time, then just straighten up the bike to vertical, give it 2-3 seconds, and you'll have your answer - there in the sight glass.

Even on the side stand, it'll all be in the sump, so straightening it up gives you the level. I suspect you'll have to wait a few seconds longer in sub zero temperatures

Yes. Get your coat (don't forget your hat)

I confess that initially I struggled getting the R1200GS onto the centre stand (until I bought a Nippy Norman lifting handle) so I got a makeup mirror on a tallish stand, and put it in such a position that I could see the sight glass whilst straddling the bike upright.

Worked for me at the time.

Back
Top Bottom