Changing wheels...

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have got the rear wheel out.... bike up on wooden blocks, will worry about getting it off again when I have the wheels changed. I am pooped. I have been struggling with the rear wheel since 7 this morning. I cannot get it back in, either of them. Too heavy to hold in place with one hand while I try to slide the axle back in.

Anyone got any hints and tips on how to line everything up in the tight space and get the axle through everything without the wheel dropping. I can hold it in place with both hands, but as soon as I go to pick up the axle, it moves, even with the toe of my boot under the tyre. I am going to have to leave it an hour while I get my breath back and my arms stop aching. I have come to the conclusion it is too heavy for me to do on my own. It is probably 20 years since I changed a wheel, so I am struggling.... I need some advice on cheating tricks and tips please. :thumby:

I have got the rear wheel out.... bike up on wooden blocks, will worry about getting it off again when I have the wheels changed. I am pooped. I have been struggling with the rear wheel since 7 this morning. I cannot get it back in, either of them. Too heavy to hold in place with one hand while I try to slide the axle back in.

Anyone got any hints and tips on how to line everything up in the tight space and get the axle through everything without the wheel dropping. I can hold it in place with both hands, but as soon as I go to pick up the axle, it moves, even with the toe of my boot under the tyre. I am going to have to leave it an hour while I get my breath back and my arms stop aching. I have come to the conclusion it is too heavy for me to do on my own. It is probably 20 years since I changed a wheel, so I am struggling.... I need some advice on cheating tricks and tips please. :thumby:

Wood is your friend

Get the rear wheel lined up and place some wood under the rear tyre, to support it whilst you get the spindle back in

Get it roughly lined up with different or 1 bit of wood, loop the chain over the bottom of the sprocket (IIRC) and stick the spacers in place

5 minute job to get it out and back in, what are you pissing about at:D

If you haven't got a workbench, sit on floor, with a leg either side of the swingarm and have everything at hand

Wood is your friend

Get the rear wheel lined up and place some wood under the rear tyre, to support it whilst you get the spindle back in

Get it roughly lined up with different or 1 bit of wood, loop the chain over the bottom of the sprocket (IIRC) and stick the spacers in place

5 minute job to get it out and back in, what are you pissing about at:D

If you haven't got a workbench, sit on floor, with a leg either side of the swingarm and have everything at hand

This!

Combination of the two

I use either a wooden wedge, or a breaker bar,

put the breaker bar roughly under the spindle hole, roll the wheel onto it, and lift the breakerbar, holding the wheel

or a wedge, and roll the wheel up the wedge

the other option is to push the back of the bike down onto the wheel

Not having a breaker bar and with snow on the ground I didn't fancy sitting in it.... I have used a ratchet strap over the seat to suspend the wheel, it was a fight to lift it and ratchet it even. I didn't realise how heavy the wheel and tyre was. Anyway, I shall try and make some wooden wedges for the spring when I change back to road tyres!

Thanks for the suggestinions, they did give me some ideas to work with. The front wheel was much easier!

All up and running, things greased, chain oiled and Scotty reservoir topped up. Ready to go and wear some porcupine quills off now. Pirelli MT21s, so going to be a bobbly ride on the road but in the snow and mud should give me a bit of a chance to stay upright, more so than mud filled grooves on road tyres anyway!

I have been told that these were Simon Pavey's wheels, built for when he raced under the Clarkes banner on Tagasaki rims with extra strong spokes - I don't think I shall be putting any strain on them with my riding. :D

Picture later!

Not as bad a rumble as I thought. I need to pluck up the courage to tip into conrners now, especially roundabouts, I am fearful of sliding and dropping her.

I have learned that these blue wheels used to be Simon Pavey's.

Attachments

• DSCN5584.jpg
    DSCN5584.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN5581.jpg
    DSCN5581.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 83

Back
Top Bottom