Ball joint

waggy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I am doing some winter maintenance and noticed that the ball joint rubber has split. I have a replacement and have removed the old ball joint but I an concerned that it came out of the front wishbone without needing a ball joint splitter. I have offered the new one up and it goes in fine but with a little play. Is this correct?

R1200GS 2005 with 55k on the clock

Cheers

David

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

What do you mean a little play. If it is the ball joint you neef a new one

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Sorry no. Ball joint is fine (I have bought a new one) I am on about the play between the ball joint and the telelever wishbone arm, should that be tight?

Have you torqued the nut on top yet? If I remember, there's a slight taper on the shaft. I vaguely remember it being fairly high, about 130Nm? If you've torqued it and it's hot play, then yea, something isn't quite right.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Have you torqued the nut on top yet? If I remember, there's a slight taper on the shaft. I vaguely remember it being fairly high, about 130Nm? If you've torqued it and it's hot play, then yea, something isn't quite right.

I have only offered it up not yet fitted. You are right there is a taper on the shaft. I was hoping that this was the case but concerned that the old one came out without the need for a splitter and the hole in the wishbone had become worn.

My thoughts too.

Ball joint to slider tube bridge - 230Nm with threadlock

Ball joint taper to leading link - 130Nm

Are you sure everything is tightened up?

I have not torqued it up yet only offered it up, was just concerned if the ball joint should be a tight fit in the hole before I fit the bolt but from what you are all saying it sounds as though I am ok...fit and tighten and then check.

I will update once it is torqued up

Cheers chaps I knew I could rely on you!

Generally you don't need to change the ball joint just the rubber boot, clean off all the old grease and inspect the old ball joint if there is no play re grease and fit new boot.

Thats what i did with mine a few years ago and it is still OK.

The rubber boot perishes but does not mean the Ball joint is goosed.

Will save you some work.

Generally you don't need to change the ball joint just the rubber boot, clean off all the old grease and inspect the old ball joint if there is no play re grease and fit new boot.

Thats what i did with mine a few years ago and it is still OK.

The rubber boot perishes but does not mean the Ball joint is goosed.

Will save you some work.
I have read about just replacing the boot but having used a number of after market parts from that well known supplier that have failed within 12 months I have now decided to just use BMW parts. I know it may cost more but I may only need to do the job once.
But thank you for suggesting that option.

Back
Top Bottom