Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two silly questions

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Update on the NI aspect, The vat charge on used cars from GB to NI has been dropped this afternoon.

has anyone noticed VRT rates have risen. friend of mine was looking at a car up north and when he did VRT yesterday it had gone up from when he checked same car over Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by john_aero View Post
    has anyone noticed VRT rates have risen. friend of mine was looking at a car up north and when he did VRT yesterday it had gone up from when he checked same car over Christmas.
    There is also nox charges now...very expensive

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I know that BMW Ireland source all their spares from BMW U.K. I know this because they change the parts from euro to sterling and back to euro incurring the associated charges and kindly passing these on to the customer. I don’t know what they’re going to do now. It’s a big mess. JJH
    I think that BMW Ireland is actually a subsidiary of BMW UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pansmiker View Post
    I think that BMW Ireland is actually a subsidiary of BMW UK.
    I think your correct. Some kind of affiliate anyway. I think it goes against the ideal of free trade for the parts to go on a merry go round when it obviously makes the prices higher. JJH

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrama View Post
    There is also nox charges now...very expensive

Ah ok so nox is now part of the VRT calculation. that explains it so

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I know that BMW Ireland source all their spares from BMW U.K. I know this because they change the parts from euro to sterling and back to euro incurring the associated charges and kindly passing these on to the customer. I don’t know what they’re going to do now. It’s a big mess. JJH
    With all the fees, charges and double VAT it seems is levied it's incredible anyone buys anything.

I thought there were laws to prevent tax on tax (double taxation) but it seems from reading this that if you buy a second hand bike/car from the UK you are required to pay VAT of 21% on the purchase price.

When the bike/car was bought new in the UK, VAT would have been paid at that time so being charged again is double taxation?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC10 View Post
    With all the fees, charges and double VAT it seems is levied it's incredible anyone buys anything.

I thought there were laws to prevent tax on tax (double taxation) but it seems from reading this that if you buy a second hand bike/car from the UK you are required to pay VAT of 21% on the purchase price.

When the bike/car was bought new in the UK, VAT would have been paid at that time so being charged again is double taxation?
    You’re correct Steve - there are rules in relation to double taxation, but they are EU rules. When a member state leaves the EU those rules no longer apply. It’s another wonderful outcome of Brexit.

As of last week there is also now a 10% tariff applied on top of the purchase price unless the vehicle / bike was originally manufactured in the uk (Triumph for example).

The days of a cheap flight to GB to buy a bike and a road trip home are gone..

Quote Originally Posted by macker1974 View Post
    ......The days of a cheap flight to GB to buy a bike and a road trip home are gone..
    True - I have 3 yokes in the shed that I imported over the last few years but had no plans on extending the collection.
    My long standing relationship with motor works & moto bins is likely in the past - I'd be happy to deal with the UK on a zero vat export basis & then pay EU (Irish) vat but not both.
    Who on the continent is recommended for BMW spares /consumables?
    Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see - Arthur Schopenhauer

Gerry C

Thanks for the info re the changes.

Ordered 3 body panels from Lithuania through fleabay on the 23rd december - they arrived on the 31st. Perfect, colour matching parts, expertly packed - half the price of any of the other vendors I could find. €20 for shipping a 2 meter long package from Lithuania DURING cashmas in a matter of days ! Dunno if I can post a link to their fleabay shop here ? Can I ?
    Unfortunately I think we may all be looking for alternatives to those across the water that we have enjoyed associations with for many years.

All the best for '21
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

You’re correct Steve - there are rules in relation to double taxation, but they are EU rules. When a member state leaves the EU those rules no longer apply. It’s another wonderful outcome of Brexit.

As of last week there is also now a 10% tariff applied on top of the purchase price unless the vehicle / bike was originally manufactured in the uk (Triumph for example).

All this is bound to affect the 2nd hand market in the UK as a lot of the prices where artificially inflated due to demand from other EU countries such as Denmark and RoI. Maybe the sellers asking price will have to soften to accommodate the extra taxes / costs.

Or if you want parts from Gb to ROI I’ll get them for you and run them down the road on my weekly trip to Leixslip

Barry
    Bazza

The days of a cheap flight to GB to buy a bike and a road trip home are gone..[/QUOTE]

Mobile.de...a longer flight but a better road trip

I thought Triumphs were made in Taiwan....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-on-g...-uk-notice-703

You should not pay double VAT when buying stuff from mainland UK.

UK VAT is only paid on stuff consumed in the UK. If you are in Ireland and buy something as an export from mainland UK then the item will be zero rated and you pay whatever VAT and duty is levied by your own government at the point of entry.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by costellon View Post
    Dunno if I can post a link to their fleabay shop here ? Can I ?
    Fire away.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast