High mileage oilheads.

1bodger

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy two r1100gs. Both have ~95,000 miles on the clock. Each has been kept inside when not risen and appear in good nick. Please respond with thoughts on the mileage whether you have second thoughts purchasing. Cheers.

The real question on an 1100 is what year what gearbox, pre 96 gearboxes are suspect.

I have 122k on mine and it’s as sweet as a nut

High miles is not an issue if they've been well cared for. Set aside some cash for new shocks however. That will make a huge difference. Or buy one set to swap between the two bikes! :hrh

Mines on 89k and outside of the virus used everyday as a commuter without any problems wouldn’t be concerned about the mileage!

I’m not sure about the care they have had but both look tidy. The owner is seven hundred miles away so I’m trying to make a decision and then go and check them out and haul them back in my truck f all is good. Thanks for the info.

I bought mine a few months ago; it had 81k on the clock (a bit more now). The mileage didn't put me off in the slightest.
It's not like buying a 1200

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I bought mine a few months ago; it had 81k on the clock (a bit more now). The mileage didn't put me off in the slightest.
It's not like buying a 1200

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

What he said, mine has seen 100,000 of gravel road abuse and still going strong, a touch of Triggers Broom but Motor and gearbox (new bearings and SH shift drum) are original. Front wheel had hit too many rocks so got a SH one and relaced the old hub to a SH HP2 rim, SH GSA shocks and stands, you get the picture. :beer:

Along with St1100s, older K's, Oilheads are one of the few bikes you would trust well north of 100k... It's all to do with what's been done mechanically... Virtually all pre96 gearboxes will have been rebuilt by 95k... Main thing is how they feel to ride which is hard to tell 600 miles away... I have bought quite a few bikes at a distance and you are checking the owner as much as the bike on the phone before you go...

Back
Top Bottom