ALTERNATIVE BATTERY TRICKLING POWER SOURCE QUERY

Sorry, mate, but it most definitely isn't. :augie

You, on the other hand, could do with a BEASTING for wearing that Please Don't Knock Me Down jacket/vest thing, and having a headlight PLUS auxiliary lights on during pure, brilliant, sunny daytime conditions. :augie

:jes :D

Wiring tip. Route the cable that comes from the outside to just below the unit and then back up. This small loop will protect the unit from any water running down the cable. Any water will drip off at the bottom of the loop and not run into the unit.

tom

Nice one, thanks. Didn't consider that.

In my case there is already a loop (on the wall) as the solar cable is longer than needed, but I didn't want to cut it (I'm not using Optimate's original panel on this particular charger).

Sorry, mate, but it most definitely isn't. :augie

You, on the other hand, could do with a BEASTING for wearing that Please Don't Knock Me Down jacket/vest thing, and having a headlight PLUS auxiliary lights on during pure, brilliant, sunny daytime conditions. :augie

Ah, kind thanks, Sir. After numerous attempts at taking me off the previous BEAST, I decided to protect my family by ensuring that I am seen. I'm fairly sure that it doesn't actually matter how sunny it is, drivers don't always see you so I generally run with all 3 lights on. I am comfortable with that configuration but your expert advice is duly noted lol.

Wiring tip. Route the cable that comes from the outside to just below the unit and then back up. This small loop will protect the unit from any water running down the cable. Any water will drip off at the bottom of the loop and not run into the unit.

tom

Thanks, Tom. I took mine up to the garage last night and it looks as though it is set up so that the cable comes out at the bottom of the gubbings on the back of the panel. However, if, when I put it up that is incorrect, I shall certainly take upon your tip.

Steve

+1 - I've also just ordered one of these as well, thanks for the advice above chaps.

Just got to work out how to get round the residents committee so they'll let me pop it on the roof of the garage :D

Glad to be of assistance. Might just have to ask politely lol

My 80watt solar panel is now all up and running without any hitches. It is ideally placed for sun throughout most of the day. There were some slight adjustments to the top of the garage door framework to accommodate the cable and prevent the door scraping and damaging it. It is cable tied to the ceiling-mounted non-functioning electrical piping and plugged straight into the BEASTS din socket. Jobs a gooden. Thanks again to those who guided me to this logical conclusion.

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_141258.jpg
    IMG_20210122_141258.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20210122_141309.jpg
    IMG_20210122_141309.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20210122_141338.jpg
    IMG_20210122_141338.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20210123_140248.jpg
    IMG_20210123_140248.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
+1 - I've also just ordered one of these as well, thanks for the advice above chaps.

Just got to work out how to get round the residents committee so they'll let me pop it on the roof of the garage :D

Did you manage to get this sorted?

Back
Top Bottom