A question about G/S brake upgrade options

SteveHop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wanted to ask a question about the Siebenrock 320mm disc upgrade , from somebody who has allready done it.

Question-

With the big increase in braking force , and there still being only one disc mounted on one side of the front wheel. Is there a tendancy for the forks to "twist" with hard application ? In other words is this new setup almost "to good" for the bike ?

There is also a standard size option available ,with a riveted chrome alloy steel disc, this is supposed to have better frictional properties then the original OEM disc. I wondering if this combined with the right pads would be good enough for relaxed riding ?

I dont fancy the 2 disc option

Thanks

I had one on my last paralever and no it isn't that powerful. There was a blog on here where I think someone like adelaide gave chapter and verse on braking surface sizes and changing calliper rather than disc might be the answer.

Your going to get lots of views on this.

My 2p worth, R100gs Para, Changed to 320mm disc and original caliper OK but not a cosmic difference, tried the usual pad changes , std, carbon and sinthered an improvement. Got a 4 pot brembo from an RT1100 straight replacement but will need mounting lugs reducing to 11mm thick, better an improvement better feel then back to pad changes as above some further improvement. Next changed fork oil , new fork springs and stronger fork brace, only had 1 ride so far due to weather but do thing its as good as I am going to get it. I've also got an S1000XR and, its no where near that good.

You could save a small fortune by making sure the std setup is good and lower your expectations and leave bigger braking distances.

Incidentally if you are changing the master-cylinder get a smaller 1 than the standard it increases brake pressure at the caliper.

Good luck there will be another opinion along shortly.

Your going to get lots of views on this.

My 2p worth, R100gs Para, Changed to 320mm disc and original caliper OK but not a cosmic difference, tried the usual pad changes , std, carbon and sinthered an improvement. Got a 4 pot brembo from an RT1100 straight replacement but will need mounting lugs reducing to 11mm thick, better an improvement better feel then back to pad changes as above some further improvement. Next changed fork oil , new fork springs and stronger fork brace, only had 1 ride so far due to weather but do thing its as good as I am going to get it. I've also got an S1000XR and, its no where near that good.

You could save a small fortune by making sure the std setup is good and lower your expectations and leave bigger braking distances.

Incidentally if you are changing the master-cylinder get a smaller 1 than the standard it increases brake pressure at the caliper.

Good luck there will be another opinion along shortly.

Thx . Lower expectations are ok with me. I will probibly only use this bike for country lane bimbles and i have experience riding one of my other bikes which has drum brakes. Thx

I adapted a Kawasaki 320mm disc to fit my G/s, then made an adapter bracket to fit a 4 piston calliper,

It twists the forks nicely, and the m/c ratio is much better, it’s two fingers to twist the forks :D

Steve, do a search in the airheads section. You'll get enough advice and opinion to make your head spin.

I have the HE version which I believe to be the same, using Lucas sintered pads. Now have more or less, two finger braking, unless I have to pull up really quick.

Fork twisting not an issue.

You can’t decide on your braking options until you’ve decided on your tyres. You might fit enduro knobblies, the excellent Continental TKC80s or road tyres. If road tyres, go all out on the brakes - four pot; 320mm; twin set-up. With TKC80s I’ve had a G/S with twin standard discs and it was great, as is the 320mm disc with standard calliper I had on a GS. Riding with TKC80s I would not want a stronger brake because it’ll be stronger than the tyre. Years ago, before all these options were available, I put a cast iron disc, braided hose and top quality pads on a standard G/S and the improvement was noticeable. I was running knobblies so didn’t need anything g better. So what tyres are you putting on and what kind of riding are you going to be doing?

You can’t decide on your braking options until you’ve decided on your tyres. You might fit enduro knobblies, the excellent Continental TKC80s or road tyres. If road tyres, go all out on the brakes - four pot; 320mm; twin set-up. With TKC80s I’ve had a G/S with twin standard discs and it was great, as is the 320mm disc with standard calliper I had on a GS. Riding with TKC80s I would not want a stronger brake because it’ll be stronger than the tyre. Years ago, before all these options were available, I put a cast iron disc, braided hose and top quality pads on a standard G/S and the improvement was noticeable. I was running knobblies so didn’t need anything g better. So what tyres are you putting on and what kind of riding are you going to be doing?

All brakes should be stronger than the tyre, you generally use your fingers to moderate the pressure.

All brakes should be stronger than the tyre, you generally use your fingers to moderate the pressure.

Obviously, and mine have been. I should have added that with all of my previous modified brake systems all have needed no more than two fingers to lock the front wheel. This gives good latitude for off road braking where one finger is normally enough. However if I was running Michelin AC10 knobblies I wouldn’t go for a twin 320mm disc, four pot calliper set up. That was my point.

Obviously, and mine have been. I should have added that with all of my previous modified brake systems all have needed no more than two fingers to lock the front wheel. This gives good latitude for off road braking where one finger is normally enough. However if I was running Michelin AC10 knobblies I wouldn’t go for a twin 320mm disc, four pot calliper set up. That was my point.

My brakes are currently not only stronger than the tyre, but stronger than the forks :D

Ive only reciently got this bike. Ive bought it to just do country lane "bimbles" and pottering around on . I have a couple of other bikes with twin disc setups (R100R & R90S )which i usually use for going further a field. Ive also got a R60/2 with the original drum brakes . The G/S came with Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres which are brand new . So im coming round to thinking the new single standard size Magura disc from Siebenrock with the Lucas pads and nice new ss lines would be ok.

You'll be fine by the sound of. Most important thing, you get out and ride it!!!!

I rode my g/s down to Spain and did the Vince in 2017. No problems at all except two duff light bulbs. Headlight and indicator.

Adequate brakes leave you a margin, therefore give you more feel.

When you have to squeeze the lever with all the force you can muster just to slow down you have no feedback.

That said, my 100GS with EBC standard size disc and Lucas pads (and standard brake hose) easily locks the front Tourance - not two fingers though.

You'll be fine by the sound of. Most important thing, you get out and ride it!!!!

I rode my g/s down to Spain and did the Vince in 2017. No problems at all except two duff light bulbs. Headlight and indicator.

Yes , i hope to get to Spain again, last time i ended up flying down and using somebody elses bike up the Siearra Nevada mountains . Im hoping to go down in September and then hop across to Morroco. I reckon that ill endup with the Siebenrock std size disc and the lucas pads that they sell,i trust Siebenrock all the things that ive had from them have been spot on.

Arkwright (RIP) had put the HE disc conversion on this G/S I bought from him.

He also added the heavy duty fork brace but I am not sure where it came from.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 22.26.00.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 22.26.00.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 240

Back
Top Bottom