Timing mark bung fell into clutch housing!

Mad Hatter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I managed to push the rubber bung through into the clutch bell housing after doing the valve clearances. Does anyone know if I can fish it out by removing the starter motor?

I know someone will tell me to just forget about it, but that wasn’t my question 😀

Been years since i had an 1150 but can you not get at it by removing the starter motor

Buy another, loop a zip tie through it. I think I lost three in my 1100GS, the world didn’t end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buy another, loop a zip tie through it. I think I lost three in my 1100GS, the world didn’t end.

Well that’s a relief, but does anyone know if removing the starter will give me access to recover the bung?

It’s never going to be a problem, not retrieving it though. It’ll disintegrate and fall out over time as it’s by far the softest thing in there.

Like NIN said, buy another, pierce 2 slits with the tip of a small screwdriver and stick a zip tie loop through it. I’ve also seen at least one go in there, never to be seen again...:thumb2

Like this.

View attachment 481769

I’ve been looking at photo’s of the clutch housing and I can see that there are loads of nooks and crannies where the bung can disappear so I’m going to forget about it and fit a new one with a tie wrap as you suggest. Thanks folks

I had to take the gearbox off one of my old 1100GS, and found a couple of bungs in the bottom.

Thanks guys, I’m going to ignore it and pretend it never happened��

Just put a new one in and leave it there. Find TDC by putting a long wooden dowel down the plug hole when the spark plugs are out and turn the engine over until the stick does not come out any further and all four valve rockers have movement. I use a chopstick:)

I never even take mine off.
If I'm looking for TDC I've got the plugs out anyway so just use the screwdriver down the plug hole trick.

Back
Top Bottom