rear tyre puncture repair

malcopopolo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My rear tyre has a very slow puncture in the centre of a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.

I am having a new tyre fitted.

The old tyre has done less than 600 miles which is being returned to me. The speed rating is V

What are the collective thoughts on having it patched internally by a tyre shop? Vulcanising type repair?

No issue with that
I’d patch and use then get a new tyre

No bitchy remarks from me.

My rear tyre has a very slow puncture in the centre of a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.

I am having a new tyre fitted.

The old tyre has done less than 600 miles which is being returned to me. The speed rating is V

What are the collective thoughts on having it patched internally by a tyre shop? Vulcanising type repair?

Had a puncture in Millau and had it repaired by the local bike shop with a mushroom patch , carried on for another 1500 miles two up touring , never bothered me at all.

I seem to get punctures every other tyre, regardless of brand. I repair them if safe to do so and run them till they wear out.

In 30 years of riding I've had many punctures. Always patched the tyre but properly in specialized shop. The puncture has never been decisive for me to replace the tyre. The repair job has to be done by a proper shop and then wheel balanced as the patch adds a bit of a weight (nothing singnificant).

Same here, I had a puncture just outside of Lugo on my way to the Picos, had it repaired at a tyre place in Lugo and used the tyre until it was due to be changed the following Spring.

I always get my tyres repaired properly unless the guys advise not to. I've never had a problem in God knows how many decades of riding. I recently got a double puncture, both of which were very large and although my local repairer were happy to do both, I took the 'peace of mind' route and replaced it. I would never criticise anyone for getting a new tyre for this reason.

I've repaired tyres (car and bike) with a Stop n Go kit (effectively a mushroom you put in yourself from the outside. Ridden until the tyre needed replacing.

On one occasion (recently) the repair on the F700GS started losing pressure VERY slowly from the repair. I took it to local bike shop - concerned that my repair might make them reluctant to do a "proper" repair - but they were happy to replace it on a removed tyre.

Thinking about it, all the bike punctures have been in the rear, and fairly "clean". I might be less brave if it was a front tyre, particularly on the K1600.

I'd fix it and use it assuming the puncture isn't too severe for a repair.

Back
Top Bottom