Tube vs tubeless

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I read on here somewhere that the 700 runs tubeless and 800 tubed. Is it possible to make the 800 tubeless?

You can but it means using a third party tubeless conversion on your rims , look at Central Wheels website for details of the ones they do.

Alternatively search on web for diy tubeless conversion, some people get good results but it is down to preparation as much as anything else.

Another alternative are Kineo or similar wheels.................. Mega Expensive

For what it's worth .... and I know where you're coming from, but I had ten years and 143,000 miles on an 8oo with tubes. I honestly never had a problem :thumby:

:beerjug:

For what it's worth .... and I know where you're coming from, but I had ten years and 143,000 miles on an 8oo with tubes. I honestly never had a problem :thumby:

Wow. Never a puncture or never a problem?

Wow. Never a puncture or never a problem?

Yes, I had maybe two or three punctures, but all sorted with the aerosol mend and inflate cans.
I think Motul do a good one. Never believed in the stuff you put in your tube to stop you getting a puncture .... you don't know if you've had one or not, and whatever caused the puncture is still in there. Not good :blast

It's not like the old days where it was a wheel out at the side of the road, and tyre levers out :rob

Plus, for whatever reason, punctures these days are few and far between :thumb

There might well be those along soon that decries running a motorcycle with a tyre repaired with an aerosol :rob

Not to say that on a long trip I would carry spare tubes :D

Yes, I had maybe two or three punctures, but all sorted with the aerosol mend and inflate cans.
I think Motul do a good one. Never believed in the stuff you put in your tube to stop you getting a puncture .... you don't know if you've had one or not, and whatever caused the puncture is still in there. Not good :blast

It's not like the old days where it was a wheel out at the side of the road, and tyre levers out :rob

Plus, for whatever reason, punctures these days are few and far between :thumb

There might well be those along soon that decries running a motorcycle with a tyre repaired with an aerosol :rob

Not to say that on a long trip I would carry spare tubes :D

Micky is right

In Scotland we had an 800 with a rear puncture (Long Tom’s bike, a good mate of Mick’s)

Small tack/screw

We took the valve out

Put the Motul gloop in

Spun the wheel on the centre stand, on tickover for 5 or 6 revolutions

Waited 5 mins

Valve back in

Used the compressor to inflate to 40 psi

Fine for the rest of trip and tyre was worn out at end at so a new tyre and tube fitted

Valve out and spinning wheel was crucial to a good repair

Impressed me

If you don't have a separate tyre inflater with you, don't take the valve out :eek:

The Motul will repair and re-inflate, but if you take the valve out you end up with all the Motul blowing in the breeze ... and a flat tyre. Donts ask me how I know :blast

Take the nail or whatever out, connect the aerosol to the valve and empty it in to the tyre. Disconnect and spin the wheel or tickover on the stand, in gear, to distribute the Motul.

It probably wont inflate to normal pressure but it'll get you to a garage to top up the pressure.

I carry several of the small pressure canister whatsits (as in the tubeless repair kits) but even these wont bring the pressure up to normal .... but will get you to a garage :thumb

Sue and myself rode 19,000 miles on a 'bike each (F650GS's) through Russia, Siberia, Mongolia and the Gobi Desert, and back again across The Stans, on tubed tyres .... no problem :thumb

I' ve had decent results with gloop type repairs on tubeless tyres as long and the damage was in the centre tread area, the four or five times I have tried them with tubed tyres were abject failures as the tubes had ripped .

The problem with using an aerosol to repair a tube is you just don’t know when it’s going to let go. JJH

I've never had one 'let me down' ...

You never know when any tyre is going to let you down ...

You need to be lucky :D

i-Dg2hGJ4-L.jpg

That was in bloody Ireland :D

If you don't have a separate tyre inflater with you, don't take the valve out :eek:

The Motul will repair and re-inflate, but if you take the valve out you end up with all the Motul blowing in the breeze ... and a flat tyre. Donts ask me how I know :blast

Take the nail or whatever out, connect the aerosol to the valve and empty it in to the tyre. Disconnect and spin the wheel or tickover on the stand, in gear, to distribute the Motul.

It probably wont inflate to normal pressure but it'll get you to a garage to top up the pressure.

I carry several of the small pressure canister whatsits (as in the tubeless repair kits) but even these wont bring the pressure up to normal .... but will get you to a garage :thumb

Sue and myself rode 19,000 miles on a 'bike each (F650GS's) through Russia, Siberia, Mongolia and the Gobi Desert, and back again across The Stans, on tubed tyres .... no problem :thumb

We did have a compressor and Mr Smooth suggested the valve removal

It did work a lot better as you could get a better volume in quicker and then put the valve back in and then spin the wheel to move the gloop around (valve back in ASAP, stops the gloop escaping as you found out)

Back
Top Bottom