LED & HID bulbs and the new MoT regs

BOBAD

Reaction score
I have just received the following eMail from my local MoT testing station and your comments would be welcome:

"Dear Customer,

You may be aware of some changes to the MOT regulations regarding HID Headlights which come into effect from the 1st February 2021.
The changes I have copied from the DVSA MOT tester's manual.

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Sentence changed from 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

Please be aware that VOSA will be very "Hot" on this and as an "ATC" (mot testing station) I will have no choice as to implement the regulation change."

The message is clear enough but what to do about it? Revert to an inferior light unit (i.e. standard equipment) or what?

Makes you consider how the insurance companies will manage claims despite the conversion being potentially better than the orognal factory fitment. You can just anticipate the MOT changes being a reaspn to refuse claims. I would love to see the research evidence which has informed these changes, suppose the lack of regulation for aftermarket fitment could be a major issue which does not exist in the case factory fitted units.

The way I read it is that swapping a light unit for an LED unit is still fine but putting LED bulbs into a stock headlight is a no no? On the subject of insurance companies though, I had a customer last year whos insurance company had found him at fault due to him having LED bulbs in his stock lights after the other driver claimed to have been dazzled by him. They paid out for the other driver and refused his claim leaving him fairly out of pocket.

The way I read it is that swapping a light unit for an LED unit is still fine but putting LED bulbs into a stock headlight is a no no? On the subject of insurance companies though, I had a customer last year whos insurance company had found him at fault due to him having LED bulbs in his stock lights after the other driver claimed to have been dazzled by him. They paid out for the other driver and refused his claim leaving him fairly out of pocket.
That's pretty much how I've interpreted it. I have replaced my entire headlamp unit with a purpose made led unit. Vastly superior to the OEM candle (God knows how the OEM was ever considered adequate!!). Anyway, 2 MOTs later, it's never been questioned. Nor do I see why it should be, but who am I!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Agree 100% on the potential for insurance problems. The stock headlight unit may not have a reflector that is optimised for the upgrade and thinking about ot I would choose to upgrade the whole headlight unit.

I have upgraded using HID 50 from Mr Wassel (think that's right). So we are saying my bike will fail the next MOT. If this is correct can someone post a link to the new units that you guys are fitting please.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

I have upgraded using HID 50 from Mr Wassel (think that's right). So we are saying my bike will fail the next MOT. If this is correct can someone post a link to the new units that you guys are fitting please.

Just put a standard bulb back in for the mot. That's what I do.

LED & HID bulbs and the new MoT regs

What happens if you have a crash on the other 364 days ?

What happens if your insurance refuses payout ??

I wouldn’t want to be running HID nowadays and in fact removed mine last year, on my GSA

My T700 has factory fit LED from new, so I guess they will be fine

The problem with changing the lights isn't the source of the light ie LED, HID or halogen but the reflector in the light housing. Each type of source has a different position infront of the reflector so the projected beam will have its shape altered. If you look at LED and HID replacement light generators they generally produce their light in a line from just in front of the reflector running directly forward, wheresas a halogen bulb has its filament running across the front of the reflector and at a different distance from that reflector. That means that the focal point has changed and therefore the reflected beam will change.

Complete light housings designed to use either LED or HID have reflectors designed for purpose.

Might be useful if a Moderator could move this thread to a more general section, please? It's not exclusive to Hexheads

I had some HIDs retrofitted to my 09 GSA following a dealer promotion, but knew the writing was on the wall for these, so when I got a lamp-f fault spent a morning removing them and putting back regular bulbs. Shame it didn't fix the lamp-f fault which took me the rest of the day trying to get the poxy side light out if the housing. :blast

I think they've been a problem for a while, it is just that MOT stations have been pragmatic, but that notice is a warning shot across the bows of the nicer MOT bod.

What happens if you have a crash on the other 364 days ?

What happens if your insurance refuses payout ??

I wouldn’t want to be running HID nowadays and in fact removed mine last year, on my GSA

My T700 has factory fit LED from new, so I guess they will be fine

Then I lose some money. I've been swapping the bulbs out for about 5 years now for MOT on all 3 of my bikes and my car. Not going to stop now.

Then I lose some money. I've been swapping the bulbs out for about 5 years now for MOT on all 3 of my bikes and my car. Not going to stop now.

Perhaps plod will pick up on it too-Stops for C&U regs

I am fed up with being blinded by oncoming vehicles, with incorrect HID bulbs

I've fitted one of these. Can't over state the improvement. Thrown in is a better look as well. They work and work well. I think this is year 3 starting with it fitted . Price is good right now as well! There is another version - same LED arrangement, but sat behind oval lenses, so it's more akin to the OEM unit.

Screenshot_20210114-193623_AliExpress.jpg

Perhaps plod will pick up on it too-Stops for C&U regs

I am fed up with being blinded by oncoming vehicles, with incorrect HID bulbs
I agree with you, even some of the newer cars now with standard fitment LEDs are way too bright.
I do have mine set up correctly, not dazzling with the beams too high like a lot of other vehicles on the road.
I have never been flashed by oncoming vehicles,
That headlight above looks good though, not too bad a price now it's reduced, I could be tempted.

I've fitted one of these. Can't over state the improvement. Thrown in is a better look as well. They work and work well. I think this is year 3 starting with it fitted . Price is good right now as well! There is another version - same LED arrangement, but sat behind oval lenses, so it's more akin to the OEM unit.

View attachment 482637

Can you post a link to the page you've put above. Tried to find it but can't. Thanks Mr slippery.

Thank you Waggy. That's the one
They're are number of other vendors on there selling them, tho for all we know they're all the same vendor!

But the units are good. One tip - the weird coming out the back are not amateurish, so if suggest some kind of lightweight Flexi trunking for them. Looks better and keeps them tidy once fitted.

Can you post a link to the page you've put above. Tried to find it but can't. Thanks Mr slippery.
Waggy got in there before me! His link is the same one

Ok,dumb question...is it that simple? It's been a few years since we fitted the Wassell HID set up and I thought we had to change the bulb holders or something like that,can't remember.If it's a case of wanging the original bulbs back in then I'm ok with that.

Kimbo

Back
Top Bottom