ADAC make GPX routes available

Wapping

Reaction score
ADAC, the providers of some excellent suggested motorcycle / driving route maps, have branched out into providing some suggested touring routes around the mist popular German destinations. Yes, it’s in foreign but you’ll manage if you want to.

https://www.adac.de/der-adac/regionalclubs/nrw/reise-freizeit/motorradland-nrw/navbiketour/

Scroll down:

bb76fb6f4a6165ae69fb5562f44aa26f.png

I clicked on Eifel and hit the GPX download.

It works, using nothing more than an iPad and Pocket Earth Pro

7c27066ed7f789692c39e3aa4b364e81.png

Instant and pretty reliable holidays.

It looks to me like they have done a whole lot more, too.

aa37a8e6299357058042a9aa3eea7b44.png

I can’t read German but can understand what the German for GPX download and map must be. It seems that they have converted their old (excellent) suggested touring maps into a digital format. An excellent service if they have, as I know how long it takes to do it yourself.

Google translate, tells me as much....

In this area you will find the appropriate tours / stages from our well-known "ADAC motorcycle and vintage tour maps".

The following "ADAC motorcycle and oldtimer tour maps" have so far been implemented in the electronic form of a GPS tour or NavBikeTour:

ADAC TK01 Austria - Alpine foothills (tour map linked)
ADAC TK02 Südtirol - Trentino (tour map linked)
ADAC TK03 Bavarian Forest - Upper Austria
ADAC TK04 Styria - Carinthia - Friuli - Slovenia (tour map linked)
ADAC TK05 Croatian Adrea Coast (NEW)
ADAC TK06 Switzerland (NEW tour map linked)
ADAC TK07 Rhone-Alps - Northern Italian Lakes (NEW tour map linked)
ADAC TK09 Alsace - Black Forest - Swabian Alb
ADAC TK12 Tuscany - Marche - Umbria
ADAC TK14 Pyrenees
Further tour maps as GPS-Tour or NavBikeTour will be available for the 2021 season.

An overview of the tours can be found here:
Overview of ADAC motorcycle tour maps, 33.2 MB

A further overview of the tours of the linked tour maps is available here:
Overview NBT tour maps TK01 / 02/04, 11.22 MB
Overview NBT tour maps TK06 / 07, 22.24 MB

Download of the tours including import description for the respective navigation device:

ADAC GPX tracks
Becker Mamba 4
Blaupunkt MotoPilot 43
Calimoto for Android and iPhone
CoPilot for Android
GPX in general
Garmin zumo
NavGear and interphone GPSBIKE
Navigon for iPhone
Scenic for iPhone
TomTom Rider 400

Tip icon
Any questions?
Do you have any questions, comments or criticism about the NavBikeTour? Then please contact us

Michael Hain
T 0221 47 27 335
nbt@nrh.adac.de

Great find Richard and good news, i have traced a couple of adac routes in the past and they were excellent. and this is what they look like in base camp. and mapsource.

Attachments

• adac.jpg
    adac.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 333
  • adac2.jpg
    adac2.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 345
Using my iPad I have managed to view the maps in Safari and convert them into a PDF file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k5f0urax57a6w1/bersicht ADAC Motorrad Tourenkartenpdf.pdf?dl=0

I think I am slowly learning how the new ADAC stuff works, which would probably be quicker if I spoke German.

It looks like what they are doing is taking sections of the existing excellent ADAC ‘motorcycling’ routes, say of the entire Pyrenees, and carving out A to B rides. I guess this as I can see the bright green smaller ride overlaid over the existing ADAC routes. The shorter route sections can then be joined to other sections in the series, as I have learned with some help from Google Translate:

a6f0aa59164c469ecd551b166872b108.png

The internet and an iPad are a wonderful thing. Instant holiday jaunts. I really need the office to re-open so I can make use of the big A3 colour printers.....

With some more tapping about in the ADAC website on my iPad, I have found where they join the segments up. I converted these into PDF’s, too. For some unknown reason the conversions stalled in the PDF Converter app but worked pretty quickly in the PDF Pro app. I then saved the PDF’s to iBooks.

The joined up routes look pretty good. Here is the Swiss one, joining two map sets: TK06 and TK07

e0581485f19cbccb6351f338f73bfa5d.png

Here’s the combination of several different ADAC routes, embracing three different map sets: TK01, TK02 and TK04

1318f514e8570a4246fbf90e8181ce5b.png

Why do I save them as a PDF in iBooks? Because, like many websites, they only stay live for as long as the website’s owner keeps them up to date. ADAC is pretty good but their websites do inevitably change, their original very good ‘motorcycle tour’ maps having moved home several times over the past 10 or so years. Put another way, links and websites die.

It’s in jobs like these where Google Translate comes in really handy. Highlight the text in the original German website, copy it and then paste it into the translation app. The translations may not be perfect but they are certainly good enough to work out what is going on.

e2d70e7c72ef1b1fd7852b3947a77bca.png

I am a big believer in just tapping around, all within my iPad. I have bought a few of the better app’s (like the PDF converters) believing that a couple of pounds spent on an advert free app is less than half a pint of London Pride. If you make a mistake, just go back and delete it; you can’t break anything. Bods moan about the internet and the all embracing power of Google and Apple. I don’t see it that way at all. Between them they have provided a safe and reasonably reliable way for, in this example, ADAC to share - for free - lots of really good ideas. I have then shared them with you, using Google and Apple again. Twenty years ago, that would not have been easy or maybe even possible. I know nothing about computers beyond turning them on and off; my iPad does it all for me. All I have to do is apply a little imagination and it ‘just happens’. You can do the same, trust me. Give it a go, you can’t break it.

707876ef0c0925c31cbf755b6624a174.jpg

This might help, Google Chrome translation even works on an iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Berin :beerjug:

I have got so used to highlighting bits and translating them, I guess I hadn’t bothered to look at anything else. I quite enjoy doing do it, alongside guessing what the mumbo-jumbo says.

Thanks Richard. Wee bookmark for future use happier days! :thumb2

Thank you.

The old style ADAC ‘motorcycling tour’ country / regional maps are still around but they hide them away on their website. Fortunately, I have a full copy, saved to iBook :augie I also have the original paper versions, collected for free from ADAC shops on assorted jaunts. Gold, they are, pure gold.

Bods can find them here but they have dropped some, for instance the Pyrenees: https://www.adac.de/reise-freizeit/reisen-motorrad-oldtimer/motorradtouren/

But I think they might have added some. For example, I can’t remember Rugen island being on them: https://www.adac.de/reise-freizeit/...mer/motorradtouren/deutschland/ostsee-ruegen/

Tap around. You can’t bust it. Here’s Liguria, with a shorter jaunt:

https://www.adac.de/reise-freizeit/reisen-motorrad-oldtimer/motorradtouren/italien/ligurien/

And, following the link, the larger ‘whole area’:

https://www.adac.de/-/media/pdf/ruf/motorrad/tk_11_emilia-romagna_2018-09_210808.pdf

Thank you, Berin :beerjug:

I have got so used to highlighting bits and translating them, I guess I hadn’t bothered to look at anything else. I quite enjoy doing do it, alongside guessing what the mumbo-jumbo says.

The online translations are getting much better, Safari is supposed to do it too but I can’t see how

Duly downloaded and saved for future use.

Thanks for the heads up :cool::thumb2

The online translations are getting much better, Safari is supposed to do it too but I can’t see how

I have found it...

Tap on the end of the website’s address, where the font size button is

Up pops the drop down

Select the translation bit

Job done

a98a6aefb59a37f759bf20013145198f.png

fdb1875fb3ca9daed91efccc7ca17b98.png

aef8b99f157ab7dd92c1203652249e62.png

Back
Top Bottom