Windows 7 pc to Linux

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive got a win7 pc which is ok, but the support for it is now long gone, so i thought of converting it to Linux for a grin rather than chuck it out.I want to run autodata on it, ive yet to see if it will work with linux, maybe thru wine im not sure. anybody dabbled with Linux mint? any good ?tia Pauly

Stick with a more generic distribution if you want to get something working that's not native, Ubuntu will probably be more friendly.

Linux has brought several older machines I have a new lease of life. I have stuck mint on, no experience of Autodata either, so sorry can't help you. It has certainly been an interesting thing to do and I find squeezing the most out of tech stuff quite satisfying, if only because it seems a shame to bin tech.
Not so long ago I put Windows 10 update on a 10 year old Sony Vaio and it is buzzing along really nicely.

Stick with a more generic distribution if you want to get something working that's not native, Ubuntu will probably be more friendly.

Linux Mint ? BUT check if you need a 32 bit or 64bit version

I made the mistake of downloading it all burning the ISO and when I put it in the machine it wouldn't load 32 bit version required :blast

I run mint v 20. But I run two os on two separate hard drives with w10 on the other. Running non native programmes in any os is more trouble than it's worth and I keep w10 for video editing photo editing and basecamp. Either dual boot Linux with w7 or better still run w7 in a virtual machine under Linux so that you can easily isolate it from the internet if you want too since it's not being patched.

Back
Top Bottom