New GS1250 Rallye ---- Auto Levelling Headlights

jimglasgow

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Have recently taken delivery of my GS1250 Rallye, which now has the auto levelling headlights. Now this question my just be what is, from a technical perspective reason I know what's going on here, so please take it in the contexts of the question and situation.

Does anyone have a noisy motor when headlights are constantly levelling, I guess I probably won't hear it when the bike is running, but with the weather the way it is, I noticed it when I was just setting up things on bike while stationary in my garage.

UPDATE----Whilst the noise from the motor is normal it appears there is a fault as the motor constantly moving no matter how much movement one the front suspension. benchmarked it against the one in the showroom so she is heading back in to be looked at.

I'm sure Mr Fings told me that if I bought a new GS the lights would say goodbye to me when I switched off the ignition: I'm not sure that mine move at all?

Clearly unhappy, as it was a prime motivator for upgrading.

Actually, until the OP had posted this I hadn't quite appreciated how noisy the light mechanism is.

Yorkshire lad - does yours still nonetheless sound like squeaking suspension if you sit on the bike and bounce the forks a bit?

Actually, until the OP had posted this I hadn't quite appreciated how noisy the light mechanism is.

Yorkshire lad - does yours still nonetheless sound like squeaking suspension if you sit on the bike and bounce the forks a bit?

It does indeed I thought it was the suspension, until I flicked the high beam on an off and when I switched the bike off, I then noticed the noise was very similar. So its definitely the headlight light assembly.

I only 'clocked' onto it on Sat after re-farkling the bike with my soundbomb - thought at first it was summit I'd done!

Hi! New GS user Here, when i press ignition ON, my headlight make strange loud noise when moving, when they stop moving - noise is gone. Its normal?

If its a 'whirring' motor sound then I believe so yes.
If its 'constant' as previously mentioned then probably no.

My GS doesn’t whirr and the headlight doesn’t auto level.
Should I be worried ?

No.
Your GS probably doesn't have auto-leveling headlight. Mine is 2021 and doesn't have it too. It was one of the options when ordered new bike, that I declined. I declined all of electronic gadgets as I'm bit too much old school (almost 40 years of riding) and I prefer to have less electronics to worry about.

No.
Your GS probably doesn't have auto-leveling headlight. Mine is 2021 and doesn't have it too. It was one of the options when ordered new bike, that I declined. I declined all of electronic gadgets as I'm bit too much old school (almost 40 years of riding) and I prefer to have less electronics to worry about.

Mine’s a 1989 R80GS

71c8b2020e55ffd28d78fbbd4352a025.jpg

I had a long run out over the weekend, whiring from the headlight unit all the time ...

got home and rechecked last night - silence

No.

I don’t blame you, mine is standard as well. The self levelling headlamp on my car was faulty and failed the MOT:blast. I wonder if there is a over ride feature if the system fails on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom