Kriega Trail 18

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I admit I'm a sucker for Kriega stuff.
I've been using an R25 for the last decade, but considering also getting a Trail 18 (waterproof, separate pockets, etc).

Long shot but:

Is anyone using one? Is it very bulky?
The R25 is pretty flat when empty. From the pictures of the T18 it's hard to understand.

The strap system differs a bit from the R25, the bottom straps are "smaller/simpler". Would be nice to know if they work the same as the ones on the R25. I've used the 25 a few times with a lot of stuff in it and you can barely feel it.

I'm interested in any comments too as I've got half an eye on getting one, they look pretty good on paper don't they :thumb2

Andres

Crikey!!

That's a lot of cash for an 18 litre daysack!!!

Have you looked at some of the Miltary (Molle) ones, just as tough & with drybags inside, just as effective....

D

Yes, it costs a shitload of money.
But I want it now.

I've had all sorts of backpacks since I was a kid (on bikes). Kriega with its harness/straps system is the only one I really never ever feel on my back (even if super loaded).

Another question I is this: in the R25 I have the back protector (fits in the pocket).
Kriega doesn't specify if the back protector could (unofficially) fit in the T18 too. If there is anything to keep it in place.

they look pretty good on paper don't they

They do.
I also have a soft spot for backpacks. :D
Love my R25. But mine is an older model and doesn't have the passages for the camelback.
I do route the pipe anyway from the zip, but it is a bit unpractical.

I was thinking of getting the 18 for trails and longer international travel on the GS and keep the R25 for the few times I use the HP2 on the road (seems flatter on the back).
Or at least this is the excuse I'm giving myself to waste some more money. :D

I also just got this, always from Kriega, for the DR. Lockdown spending... now I have to find a better place for the handle...
dr-kriega.jpg

I was thinking of getting the 18 for trails and longer international travel on the GS and keep the R25 for the few times I use the HP2 on the road (seems flatter on the back).
Or at least this is the excuse I'm giving myself to waste some more money. :D

I also just got this, always from Kriega, for the DR. Lockdown spending... now I have to find a better place for the handle............

Ha, I had a 25 and still have a 20 and 15 :rolleyes: I sold the 25 as, TBH, I found it too big for my needs but the 20 and 15 get used constantly........I've always managed to buy second hand though, not sure I'll be that lucky with the 18 :nenau

I also use their soft 'Adv' panniers on my dirt bikes, and have various other stuff by them.....always great quality and well thought out :thumb2

That handle thing BTW, I can't quite tell from the photo but if it's what I think it is they normally mount at the front of the bike (around the forks) so you can pull the bike out of a situation.....

Andres

You can put the handles both front/back. They are slightly different I think.

I prefer the one at the back as I constantly lift the back of the bike to move it around my tiny garage space. :)
It should be closer to the seat, but I find it complicated to get it around the frame in that position because it gets very bulky (the frame).
I might try again to move it this weekend... as there is nothing much more to do.

I also have the KS40 bags, the internal ones for the Alu panniers and, again expensive, but top quality.
I also generally use those as standalone bags when, say, I pack a Transit van for a trackday weekend. Put civilian clothing + gizmos in one of those and chuck one bag in the back with motorbike and tools.

So you have multiple kriega bags too?
You are really NOT helping me save money here :)

You can put the handles both front/back. They are slightly different I think.

I prefer the one at the back as I constantly lift the back of the bike to move it around my tiny garage space. :)..................

So you have multiple kriega bags too?
You are really NOT helping me save money here :)

Ah, apologies, understood and very glad to be of service re helping you spend money :thumb

Andres

Crikey!!

That's a lot of cash for an 18 litre daysack!!!

Have you looked at some of the Miltary (Molle) ones, just as tough & with drybags inside, just as effective....

D

That's the route I've gone - massively flexible because with the molle system you can really easily add a bottle holder, first aid kit, various other pouches - whatever you need. I don't think it would appeal to kriega aficionados - but it's certainly an alternative approach.

Ordered - arrived in a couple of days.
Spoke with Kriega: the 3L hydrapack is compatible, they just advise not to fill it to the brim as it will rub against the 1L waterproof pocket on the top of the compartment.

Obviously I will not have many ways to use it, bar a couple of close-by London trips to drop a couple of documents.

Compared to the R25, it doesn't have the two "flaps" at the bottom, so it rests on your shoulders a bit more like a standard backpack when off the bike.
It also has a lot of flappy strings here and there that the 25 doesn't have (25 will be better on the street bike).

We will see. :)
My monthly compulsive shopping is done.

Ordered - arrived in a couple of days.
Spoke with Kriega: the 3L hydrapack is compatible, they just advise not to fill it to the brim as it will rub against the 1L waterproof pocket on the top of the compartment.

Obviously I will not have many ways to use it, bar a couple of close-by London trips to drop a couple of documents.

Compared to the R25, it doesn't have the two "flaps" at the bottom, so it rests on your shoulders a bit more like a standard backpack when off the bike.
It also has a lot of flappy strings here and there that the 25 doesn't have (25 will be better on the street bike).

We will see. :)
My monthly compulsive shopping is done.

Any more views on this since you’ve had it. :nenau I’m quite interested in one too. :thumb2

Yes, I’ve used it for a while now. Really like it.
I’m back from a quick ride on the HP right now and just changing tyres before coming back home.

Will post my impressions (and a couple of pics) later today.

so, a very boring bike ride around Essex and a pair of new Supercorsas later...

Bought the T18 while still in full lockdown. Used it a bit since we've been able to get around again: a few rides through greenlanes and the longer trip to Wales (under torrential rain) this week.
As said, I come from a decade of use of an R25, that I'll keep using when on the road bike (HP) as the 18 would be a bit unpractical there (too bulky on a sportsbike).

Compared to the R25, the fabric is a bit sturdier everywhere. Also the backpack's actual back plastic plate is way sturdier than the one on the R25.
Zip for the back compartment is nice and large and you have loops to grab it easily.

This week I've had three days of pretty wet riding in Wales and can confirm: the two main pockets are waterproof :)
Keep in mind that the back compartment of the bag (the one with the zip) will get a bit humid under heavy rain.

Regarding the back compartment: I found that you can fit the Kriega back protector in it.
There is no pocket for it, but that back compartment is generally pretty snug and the back protector fits just perfect and stays in place. It occupies a bit of the space meant for the water bladder though.

When I go greenlaning I do have protections on myself, so I don't need it inside the Kriega. All good.
If I'm going around the city, short trips, I'll keep the back protector in the Kriega, but obviously no water bladder. All good here.
If I'm touring around I sometimes keep the back protector in the Kriega and the bladder. You can make this work. :)

bladder.jpg

protector.jpg

Before buying I asked Kriega and they confirmed my 3L hydrapack would fit in the T18 if not filled to the brim. Otherwise it would touch the pocket on the top.
It worked fine. Used it 3/4 times filled around the 2 liters mark. Not a problem at all without using the back protector.
I ended up buying the 3.75L hydrapack as it sits lower in the backpack (it is larger and shorter) and it lets me keep the back protector in as well. It was a bit of a struggle with the narrower (bulgier) older bladder.

In the rear compartment there is a smaller waterproof pocket (wallet, phone and other small things) and there is a non waterproof pocket that fits perfectly a 5.5 or 6" device: like the Zumo XT or any other (waterproof) satnav.
It is a bit quicker to reach since it has a zip and you don't have to roll it on itself like the waterproof ones, so kinda of useful to chuck the satnav in there when walking away from the bike.

pocket.jpg

There are a couple of elastic pockets at the bottom of the compartment, but those are generally hard to reach, never used them.

I've used quite extensively the external net. Mostly to keep there one pair of spare gloves or to dry said pair of spare gloves while riding. Works fine.
If you have smaller waterproofs you can consider sticking them there. My old BMW Pro Rain onesie doesn't fit.

The main waterproof pocket (the actual backpack) is ok for a day out size-wise.
I used to ride with a backpack since I was a kid. I feel a bit "naked" riding without one. Over the years (growing wiser) I started keeping less and less (and softer) stuff over my back. So, the T18 not having a massive capacity is good for me.
When traveling I generally keep some water (now the bladder) money, phone and packed lunch in my backpack. Sometimes I keep my GoPro pouch in it + an external battery to charge phone and/or GoPro while moving.
This can change into some small tools + extra pair of gloves and other small things when greenlaning.

18dr.jpg

It really depends on how you pack, but I've read some reviews of the T18 that said it would be good "for a 2 day or weekend ride". If you only usually bring a change of one (1) underwear and a t-shirt, and spare shoes size 16: yes, it could work.
If you need to pack a bit more, I don't think the T18 would work very well.
R20 or 25 will be more suited for that.
But I don't see this as a problem at all.

And now a couple of small things I noticed:

There is a waist strap. You can remove it.
I removed it.
It does leave a couple of flappy short belts around your waist area.

Same, the shoulder straps adjusters tend to flap about when riding. This wasn't an issue on the R25.
I think this is easily fixable with a couple of velcro straps.
Admittedly: the vortexes created by my GSA at speed don't help much :)
On a fast bike, this would be a bit of an issue.

Since it uses the smaller lock system, you feel the weight of the backpack a bit more than with the R25, but again no biggie.
On the other hand, the shoulder straps on the R18 are more similar to those of a traditional backpack, and you don't have those big straps around your waist (see photo). This makes carrying the T18 when off the bike way more convenient/comfortable, especially if keeping it on one single shoulder. As it will sit better on you, and also you will not have those two "wings" hitting everything around you. :D

back.jpg

front.jpg

Long story short: already said this: I'm a bit of a sucker for Kriega stuff. But this is another one of their quality items. Worth it, especially considering these will easily last 10+ years withouth any issues.

Brilliant report thanks. :thumb2
That’s made my mind up. T18 now on my birthday prezzie list. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom