Help! Rear drive spline

Smeagol

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, any help gratefully accepted. Decided to grease splines, removed all bits and lowered rear drive however rear spline did not fully disengage and I think that the front of the drive has pulled rearwards. The result is that I cannot move the rear drive back onto the swingarm drive, it is locked solid. Tried ratchet straps and hydraulic jack but to no avail. Can only think to disconnect the rear drive assembly from the swingarm and see if I can then move the drive rods separately but do not want to make things worse. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ease back the front gaiter and use a cable tie to manipulate the uj back on to the boss.good shirt of wd followed by spray grease will help...Good luck

Cheers, sounds like a good idea, will give it a try.

Tried ratchet straps and hydraulic jack but to no avail.

Can only think to disconnect the rear drive assembly from the swingarm and see if I can then move the drive rods separately but do not want to make things worse. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Seriously Chum??? I don't know how much tension you put on the universal joints or alloy swingarm etc etc etc

But If you did put decent tension/pressure on the components?

I would recommend taking it apart and checking it out! :rob

At least that will make sure you haven't cracked something or scarred the splines!!

And hopefully avoid something failing at speed !!!

Fair play for stopping what you were at and asking !!!

Fair point. I think a sensible amount but not too much tension. Stopped once it was clear that further force could result in damage. I will dismantle and check splines, UJs etc. as per your suggestion. Cheers.

Maybe do a search on You Tube for 'Boxflyer final drive service' there's 6 videos in total for a BMW 1200, it's an RT that he's doing but video no 2 (about 20 minutes in) is what may help you regarding the shaft. If my memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Cheers. I’ll look it up. Watched a couple of other R1200GS videos before starting but non appeared to experience this issue.

It's the video that's 28min
24 secs long if that's any help to save you trawling through them all. I've saved it to 'my favourites' in the You Tube app on my phone. I'm a doddering old bastard and often watch something and can't find it again. It certainly helps when your memory is fubar'd.
"Like what mine is".

Any tips or advice ?
Yeah, Leave it alone.:D

I suspect the splines on the OP's final drive may have already started rusting to the lower U/J, that could be why it popped the prop shaft off the g.box output spline when hinging the final drive down.
As discussed in many previous threads rusted lower splines are not a really BIG problem unless you have to change the lower accordion type rubber bellows. Apparently the spinning U/J on the prop can wear through the folds on the bellows, (letting even more water in).
This then means splitting the final drive pivot to get the 'seized together' prop/final drive out of the swing arm tunnel. This could then either be separated in a vice with heat / penetrating fluid / mallet, or left 'seized together' and a replacement accordion bellow slid down the prop shaft. Then struggle to re-engage the prop shaft onto the g.box output spline whilst simultaneously supporting the weight of the final drive and attempting to reassemble the pivot.
Apparently this is a piece of piss for an octopus or 4 people.
Or... you could just strip the final drive yourself, grease the splines, change the F/D oil, and apply a reasonable amount (unlike BMW do) of Starburags NBU 30 PTM to seal it properly, none of which they do at the 600 miles running in service.
Just don't get the bike wet until it's been done.
Just saying .... Hide....

"Just dont get the bike wet"

yeah, Cos Gs's shafts exploding everywhere, along the road.:rolleyes:

You wait till you get a hole in your accordion bellow. What you gonna do then ? Take it to BMW and 'assume the position'.

I've had 6 GS's since 1999. Covered thousands of miles Africa, Asia and all of Europe. None of my bikes or any of my friends bikes have ever had any issues with the shaft drive splines. Or final drives come to that. It's a manufactured problem that simply doesn't exist.

Or maybe just leave it full of water and ride around with a water cooled 'propeller' shaft...
but that would probably be better made from marine grade stainless steel with hindsight ...
and maybe some well greased splines, as cast iron and steel do have a documented history of corroding together if submerged in water.... Just sayin...

Your documented history?
Can you show me the persistent exploding shaft splines ?

"Just dont get the bike wet"

yeah, Cos Gs's shafts exploding everywhere, along the road.:rolleyes:
:blagblah :hippy

Some pedantic Schweinhünden may even have the temerity to say the Arizona desert in the good old US of A is not extremely arid; moreover, according to BMW, failures pertaining to the drive train (officially) seldom occur. :augie

As requested oh learned one :aidan, please find a link to further additional details for your expert reference and due consideration. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNDV8O8ZJfA

Back
Top Bottom