Recommend a Pressure Washer Please?

Madmountainman

Reaction score
So, what're you all using? THe Jury's out on whether to pay a couple of hundred on a Nilfisk, or one of it's badged Husqvarna/Stihl derivatives and simply replace when it goes wrong, or do I get a Kranzle?

An £80 K'Archer. Had it 10 plus years. It goes the patio/paths for about 8hrs a year. Never failed me...cue another saying his K'Archer was shit....
If I were replacing, I'd happily get another but with a wind up hose etc...

My experience is limited but do try to prevent the thing getting frozen if left in shed / outdoors.... Drain out the hose and lance too.

FWIW, I have a Halfords unit, good enough but my friend has a Karcher about the same size, definitely meatier and gets cleaning his boat down done quicker than the Halfords one. I think Halfords stopped selling them now...

Get one with a good flow rate, litres per minute

1500psi isn't worth a light, if it only has a poor flow rate

I use a commercial Karcher, the flow through the pump is huge and therefore to shift dirt, I don't need pressure - in fact I turn it right down and avoid getting pressured water where I don't want it on the bike

Being an ex fireman, you'll know about flow rate

An £80 K'Archer. Had it 10 plus years. It goes the patio/paths for about 8hrs a year. Never failed me...cue another saying his K'Archer was shit....

+1. Happy with my cheapish Karcher. 15 years old and never let me down.

+1 for the cheapest, smallest Karcher. Had mine at least 15 years and apart from a slight water leak, more of just a dribble really, it's as good as new. Think I paid about £80 too. Would definitely have another.
Good advice about not letting them freeze

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My experience is limited but do try to prevent the thing getting frozen if left in shed / outdoors.... Drain out the hose and lance too.

Absolutely correct. I had a karcher that failed because it froze then thawed out like a burst loft pipe ....

Make sure its completely drained and free of pressure before putting it away at this time of year ... :thumb2

And another +1. Good value for money and excellent spares availability.

+1 for the Karcher - about £80 10 years ago.

I recently needed a spare for it (my fault the old bit broke) and it was cheap and easy to purchase. We live in a very hard water area, so devices like this with pumps get a hard time - it still works perfectly.

Another good tip is dont connect it to very hot water as it buggers um up.
Unless its one that is designed for hoy water use of course
HTHY

After 3 Karchers that lasted a couple of years each I bought £150 Nilfisk which lasted over 10 years until it stopped working , replaced it with an identical but updated model bought in a sale for £170 ish and hopefully it will last as long

Karcher mmh
We moved house in Sept load of mono blocks to clean , My Karcher packed up on the job it was about 3 yrs old , it was a replacement for the first one that only lasted a short time .
I thought ,, 3 years ,, to be fair to it it’s a domestic machine so it’s done quite a lot and owes me nought—— so I bought a new Karcher K5 full control plus ,, it did 1/2 an hour !
Sent it back got new one ,, used it yesterday lasted 2 hours ,, going back for a refund , going to try a nilfisk ,see if that works :(

Get one with a good flow rate, litres per minute

1500psi isn't worth a light, if it only has a poor flow rate

I use a commercial Karcher, the flow through the pump is huge and therefore to shift dirt, I don't need pressure - in fact I turn it right down and avoid getting pressured water where I don't want it on the bike

Being an ex fireman, you'll know about flow rate

This is mine a 7/11

535d112686cbff2f72657c39716fac1c.jpg

Bought a STIHL RE 90 in the summer. It does everything I need it to.

tom

I've asked as I bought a Stiga HPR550 last year, but sent it back as it would never syphon from the detergent tank. That one had super pressure and a decent flow rate, but with the syphon issue, I couldn't snow-foam the van and you can't fit an aftermarket applicator to the lance.
I've heard the Karcher reliability stories, but also know of their great spares availability. However, I have borrowed my neighbours cheapo Karcher and found it didn't give sufficient flow or pressure for my needs.I also have the luxury of a heated and insulated shed to store it in, so no freezing worries.
If I go mid-range i.e. Nilfisk, I still only get an aluminium pump, but reasonable reliability and attachment choice. I do like quality kit though, and will spend a reasonable amount of the toy fund to get good kit. Kranzle appear to be the best, with full spares backup like Karcher and have a multitude of attachments, brass pumps with adjustable pressure, steel reinforced hose on a substantial winding reel and are highly regarded. Unfortunately, they cost a lot of toy money, so just looking for feedback on all the options before making a commitment.

I've asked as I bought a Stiga HPR550 last year, but sent it back as it would never syphon from the detergent tank. That one had super pressure and a decent flow rate, but with the syphon issue, I couldn't snow-foam the van and you can't fit an aftermarket applicator to the lance.
I've heard the Karcher reliability stories, but also know of their great spares availability. However, I have borrowed my neighbours cheapo Karcher and found it didn't give sufficient flow or pressure for my needs.I also have the luxury of a heated and insulated shed to store it in, so no freezing worries.
If I go mid-range i.e. Nilfisk, I still only get an aluminium pump, but reasonable reliability and attachment choice. I do like quality kit though, and will spend a reasonable amount of the toy fund to get good kit. Kranzle appear to be the best, with full spares backup like Karcher and have a multitude of attachments, brass pumps with adjustable pressure, steel reinforced hose on a substantial winding reel and are highly regarded. Unfortunately, they cost a lot of toy money, so just looking for feedback on all the options before making a commitment.

Mine the 7/11 retails at about £1200 incl vat

I bought it at 12 months old ex hire, from a Karcher commercial dealer at Thirsk

Fully serviced/refurbished and in great Nick - with 12 months warranty

Brass pump, 20m of anti kink hose, adjustable Lance gun

Double dosing option for TFR from one drum and snow foam from another & different dials

Proper commercial quality with 20m of hose so can move around the yard to all vehicles

Having had domestic heavy duty KEW and Nilfisk, in the past whilst good - the commercial washers are so much better
To wash my muddy trail bike I don’t need to use 1000 psi to remove the dirt - the water flow is so much that I can do the same job quicker at 300 psi, than my previous domestic washers

Lower pressure means it’s kinder to bike’s decals/bearings and paint and also car’s paintwork

However when I want high pressure and flow for green concrete it’s there

aa673eac6ef248b797cb459b07ba52d8.jpg

I would go and have a chat with you local commercial pressure washer dealer in Exeter and see what ex hire commercial stuff they have in Nilfisk or Karcher brands

Depends to some extent what you want to use it for. I have a decent Nilfisk one with an induction motor that provides decent pressure and flow as I use it to clean our patio as well as 2 cars and the bike (but not at the same time :D)

What ever you get make sure it has a metal pump body as the cheap ones sometimes have plastic and check how long the pressure hose is as it can be a PITA trying to clean cars etc with a short one

I got one from here similar to this about 10 years ago and it's still going strong

https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=16626

Back
Top Bottom