rode the bike home with no clutch, using the starter motor in 1st to get going

puddle under bike once clutch fluid topped up

seems the wrong place for the slave cylinder - any ideas

sorry about picture cant seem to rotate them 90 degrees

IMG_20210118_110901282.jpgIMG_20210118_110910050.jpg

It could well be,

First you need to get bike onto the centre stand and clean all the crap off,

Once clean, you should be able to get a good ideaof where the leak is

Although looking at that amount of oil, it looks like its come straight out of the bleed nipple :eek:

New or good used slave
Remember if its a 1200 Its not clutch fluid !!

Its mineral oil of different colours for different years Red Brown Blue spring to mind

BUT I Think there is a universal mineral fluid now but I haven;t been working on 1200 bikes so much for a few years

New or good used slave
Remember if its a 1200 Its not clutch fluid !!

Its mineral oil of different colours for different years Red Brown Blue spring to mind

BUT I Think there is a universal mineral fluid now but I haven;t been working on 1200 bikes so much for a few years

If i recall my 06 used green stuff i think it was also used in Citroens id have to go out to the cave to check but it was deffo green

I used mountain bike disc brake mineral oil designed for hydraulic brakes. Worked fine for about 3 years until I sold the bike. Probably still fine. Under a fiver from the local cycle shop for about 3x as much as needed.

If i recall my 06 used green stuff i think it was also used in Citroens id have to go out to the cave to check but it was deffo green

I also used the green Citroen stuff (Comma brand I think) when I changed my slave cylinder (facelifted 08 GS), although it did get a good purging, as I'd had to top up with the wrong stuff as a get me home measure. I seem to recall it was originally green (or maybe it was blue and my memory is fading).

rode the bike home with no clutch, using the starter motor in 1st to get going

puddle under bike once clutch fluid topped up

I think you will find that it 2021 the term fail is not used, the correct term would not yet achieved, :)

I’ve never looked to see if a kit is available
I’d just fit new .
Hopefully your clutch is ok
Hi, Mikey, I've ordered custom seal that will fix R1200gs slave cylinder they are not available... direct replacement let me know if you need some I think I have 10 of them left

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi, Mikey, I've ordered custom seal that will fix R1200gs slave cylinder they are not available... direct replacement let me know if you need some I think I have 10 of them left

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What about the small thrust bearing in the end of the piston. If that starts to wear and drag, it will cause the piston to spin, then the seal will just wear out quickly. Plus there will be wear between the piston and the cylinder.

My 1150 slave cylinder did just that, when I examined it, I would have needed a new thrust bearing, seal, piston and cylinder, which is the whole thing. Sure the seal had failed, but the give away was the metal particles in the fluid which came from wear between the spinning piston and cylinder. While they are slightly different in design, they work in exactly the same way and are both made by the same company (Magur). If you just replace the seal, how do you know the thrust bearing isn’t the cause of the seal failure.

Ian

Got a new slave cylinder seal from Lukas Titech who was also repairing my rear shock

Clutch is all good, Lukas is a top guy, 100% with great knowledge on shocks, good value pricing and cant recommend highly enough

going to get the front shock serviced and resprung

Back
Top Bottom