Suspension for RTW Trip

Dodger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
GSA 1200 - 2017

I am planning a RTW trip with my wife and full luggage and considering an upgrade to the suspension. It currently has the electronic suspension which lifts the seat height etc. I have spoken to Ohlins who are suggesting a front and rear end upgrade, however the replacement will be an analogue system (Ohlins electronic system is double the price). I guess that would be fine as its no real hardship to wind up and down.

I am interested to hear if anyone has had experience in this area and what you would suggest.

Many thanks

GSA 1200 - 2017

I am planning a RTW trip with my wife and full luggage and considering an upgrade to the suspension. It currently has the electronic suspension which lifts the seat height etc. I have spoken to Ohlins who are suggesting a front and rear end upgrade, however the replacement will be an analogue system (Ohlins electronic system is double the price). I guess that would be fine as its no real hardship to wind up and down.

I am interested to hear if anyone has had experience in this area and what you would suggest.

Many thanks

Speak to Touratech, their replacement ESA suspension is a big improvement over stock.

Speak to Touratech, their replacement ESA suspension is a big improvement over stock.

Touratech stuff is made by Tractive, same bods who Rally Raid use for their upgrade kits. I had (manual/analogue) Tractive front and rear on my CB500X that I rode to Beijing. Way, way better than the stock ESA on my 1200GS.

On that trip we had a bod with Touratech ESA on a 1200GSA. It did weep a bit of oil from the shock at the end of the very rocky Wakhan Valley but nothing like the problems one or two of the other GSs...

Dare I say if I were going RTW I wouldn’t start with an LC. But that’s not what you asked. Maybe worth talking to some suppliers about how they would help you if you’re stuck in Magadan/Lilongwe with a broken rear shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do what Ewan and Charlie did. Swap out the OE BMW suspension to ohlins. Both failed, twice, Cloudio's OE BMW suspension survived the whole trip !

I doubt you'll need the ESA as the bike will be pretty much loaded the whole time so 'analogue' suspension set up to your total weight is the way to go...IMHO

Dare I say if I were going RTW I wouldn’t start with an LC. But that’s not what you asked. Maybe worth talking to some suppliers about how they would help you if you’re stuck in Magadan/Lilongwe with a broken rear shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You bad man:rob
Did your mum not tell you,if you can’t say anything nice:augie

Basic rule KISS

RTW - Nobody ever complained at the end of the trip that the suspension was not complicated enough
RTW - Nobody ever complained at the end of the trip that the bike was too light and should have been heavier

Basic simple analogue suspension will always be better on the long-distance away from main dealer trip

As a few others have said, you’re probably better off with good non electric kit

You don’t need to adjust it once you’re set up so keep it simple and reliable,

As already mentioned, get a spring rate that’s adapted to the full load with gear, rider and passenger, so at least you’ve still got some adjustment if needed either way

As per Lord Snooty .... Wilbers

Or Mikeyboy .... Hyperpro

:beerjug:

Sell the LC and buy a Yamaha t700 and spec it your needs. Simple with minimal electronics. Convert the wheels to tubeless and go

Nick Sanders has done several long trips inc South America - see you tube.

Sell the LC and buy a Yamaha t700 and spec it your needs. Simple with minimal electronics. Convert the wheels to tubeless and go

Nick Sanders has done several long trips inc South America - see you tube.

Nick Sanders did not have his wife and all her kit on the back.

GSA 1200 - 2017

Many thanks

you be lucky to plan UK trip at best in next years.

Then buy a honda. If u r contemplating a rtw trip the lc is the last bike I would take.
I love my lc but fact remains if is likely to go wrong and parts will be difficult outside of Europe. Just Saying

You're not going to get the answer you want, there's no right bike let alone suspension, there will be an issue somewhere, a better suspension here, uprated spring there, just go, fail, keep going, win, fail, figure it out, move on, you'll forget all of this when you're living.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom