Flat battery

orca the porker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

Went to my 1250GS the other day battery flat my fault didn’t turn on trickle charger.

My question is if I turn on the Optimate 4 trickle charge it will it work or is it a battery out job?

Cheers

My own experience of flat car and bike batteries, has been ... whack it on the optimate (might take quite a few hours) and all should be well ...... :thumb2

(unless the battery was fecked in the first place .. )

Probably be ok. 4v is usually the lower limit before you need a new battery.

disconnect the battery and try again - the Optimate 4 will not go into recovery mode if it senses the battery is in circuit.

the other trick, if it won't start charging is to connect the battery, once out of the bike, to another fully charged battery using jump leads. Then connect the Optimate, let it settle then remove the jump leads.

Sometimes, as the Optimate can only deliver a max of 0.8A, if the battery is really flat, there are not enough amps to wake up the battery.

Is the charger plugged into the din socket or direct to battery? It needs to be the latter if charging from flat.

what battery type do they have? is it normal setting or AMG setting?

what battery type do they have? is it normal setting or AMG setting?

the Optimate 4 won't care - it does all lead-acid types: wet, gel, MF or AGM

one ting to check, when connecting the Optimate 4 to the battery once out of the bike: make sure the charger is not in Canbus mode. It won't run the recovery cycle in this mode.

the Optimate 4 won't care - it does all lead-acid types: wet, gel, MF or AGM

one ting to check, when connecting the Optimate 4 to the battery once out of the bike: make sure the charger is not in Canbus mode. It won't run the recovery cycle in this mode.

My unit is a C-Tech as both my Optimates went wrong, one catching fire!! So I changed brands.

On this you have a normal setting, but also one for AMG.

do you know what they fit battery wise? If not I'll just have to pull it out and take a look...

No need battery out, crocodile red and black and OK, Red have plastic plug on

My unit is a C-Tech as both my Optimates went wrong, one catching fire!! So I changed brands.

On this you have a normal setting, but also one for AMG.

do you know what they fit battery wise? If not I'll just have to pull it out and take a look...

Do you mean Ctek? Do you mean AGM?

All recent BMWs are shipped with AGM unless a lithium option is requested. No idea of the date they changed. My 2000 bike had a wet battery, current 2016 has AGM

Do you mean Ctek? Do you mean AGM?

All recent BMWs are shipped with AGM unless a lithium option is requested. No idea of the date they changed. My 2000 bike had a wet battery, current 2016 has AGM

yes and yes (now I've looked in the garage)... so if your 16 has AGM in there I'll assume mine is the same... :thumb

Back
Top Bottom