Heated grip not working

I’ve got a friend with a Gs911 so I’ll try and use that at some point, 8 was out on the bike last night and the right drip has failed again.

Today I peeled back the grip to re solder the joints and noticed the first wire is broken that wraps round the handlebar, after work tomorrow I’m going to try and re solder this and see if it fixes the problem.

Does anyone know what size wire would be suitable?

If it’s a thin uninsulated wire that wraps around the grip, then that is the heating element and is a special resistance wire which heats up when a current passes through it. If the break is small, then bridging the gap might not be a problem.

Yes it is that exact wire, there is a gap of around 2 cm in the wire, I was hoping to be able to solder it as Motorworks don’t have any second hand ones in and new they are around £110!

Yes it is that exact wire, there is a gap of around 2 cm in the wire, I was hoping to be able to solder it as Motorworks don’t have any second hand ones in and new they are around £110!

If you can bridge the gap, then it should be OK. 2cm reduction in the overall length of the heating element shouldn’t be noticeable. Though the current flow through the grip will be very slightly higher. I would be surprised if the error threshold settings in the ZFE were that tight to fault the grip and turn it off. But you’ll find that out.

Well I got home from work and set about trying to sort it, after having carefully pealed back the grip and found another wire also broken I tried bridging the gaps on both with solder, I took the throttle side grip of to make it easier to solder.

The end result is fantastic as achieved continuity, refitted the grip and she warms up a treat, lovely and toasty. You can feel the solder under the grip as they are quite thin so I popped some grip puppies on I had lying around and she’s all ready to go:)

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone as very much appreciated, looking forward to warm hands now on these chilly evening rides:)

Good to here you got it sorted.
I am a big fan of Grip Puppies as I prefer the larger diameter, they stop wear on the rubbers and possibly the heating elements.
I change the throttle side every 50K miles when it gets worn.
Ride Safe & Warm.

Oh no I spoke too damn soon!!

Went out today and all was toastie and warm for the first half hour then no heat once again-Aaargh!! I think the solder must have broken and lost continuity once again, going to have another go in the morning as using the bike tomorrow night.

If I can’t fix it don’t really fancy £116 from Motorworks but I have seen a second hand one from the 800ST same year (07) at a local bike breakers, I’m guessing the part number will be different but the connector is the same. Would anyone have any idea if this would work or would the bike not recognise the new grip if the part number was different due to the wonders of Canbus?

The good part is the grip looks to be of a similar wear rate so won’t look odd on the bike( grip puppies would cover it though) and doesn’t look too old, guy wants £75 for it and would possibly haggle a little on that I’d imagine. It’s got a 28 day warranty with it and comes with the switchgear so I’d always have that as a spare also.

I think the problem might be soldering. I seem to recall that originally the wire was attached to the heating element by a small crimp connector. The wire is usually an alloy of Chromium and nickel which standard tin based solders will not bond.

Depending on your skill level, it is possible to replace the heating element for a fraction of the cost of a replacement grip.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/544047-Heated-grip-overhauling

I think your spot on Ian as when I found the second broken wire it was where the crimp connected to the wire, I was struggling with an old soldering iron so have just ordered a soldering set to try and do the job a little easier.

If I could get the grip off then I’d be prepared to give it a go, thanks for the link I’ll have a look and see if it within my abilities, going to call the breaker tomorrow about the second hand one and see if that a viable option in case I can’t crack it myself.

Back
Top Bottom