daft question -safely doing a compression test

golfy1

Reaction score
Hi all
I want to do a compression test on both cylinders, have a compression tester. BUT, i will need the starter to work, but i dont want either fuel or sparks at the same time. Could anyone let me know what to disconnect / remove to do this please ? :nenau
Its probably something blindingly obvious :rob, but i cant find the info anywhere :blast:blast:blast
Many thanks ! :thumb

unplug injectors electrically ..... spark plugs in caps ,earthed to engine or unplug small wires to coils. that should do you .

Remove fuse 5 which powers the motronic. No fuel no spark.

Just remember when you refit the fuse to fully open the throttle a few times to set the full range for the motronic.

Ian

Or just put it in gear, sidestand down, disengage clutch and press starter button.

Pardon me for piggy-ing back on this topic on compression. I have a dual spark engine 1150GS Adv, would that means all 4 plugs off to do the test, or 2 mains will do?

Pardon me for piggy-ing back on this topic on compression. I have a dual spark engine 1150GS Adv, would that means all 4 plugs off to do the test, or 2 mains will do?

Take out all four plug and you'll have zero compression :blast

Edit .... d'ya been off or out :D

Take out all four plug and you'll have zero compression :blast

Edit .... d'ya been off or out :D
Indeed. I was suspicious of what you said until I tested it just now. Zero compression when 4 plugs were out. Got a balanced pressure 165 and 175 psi left and right when I butted in the secondary plugs. Many wrote about removing all spark plugs before cranking and testing, hence my question.
Thanks Micky.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone especially Ian Hartley. Knew it was simple, but it always is when you know how......... There has to be some compensation for living in Swindon !
Cheers
Pharme - where in Berks are you ? - anywhere near Newbury ?

Thanks everyone especially Ian Hartley. Knew it was simple, but it always is when you know how......... There has to be some compensation for living in Swindon !
Cheers
Pharme - where in Berks are you ? - anywhere near Newbury ?
Sorry golfy, I am based in Singapore. Berkshire is just a freight forwarding address I use when I buy things from members here and in UK.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Remember to hold the throttle open so you get full air flow or you will not get a correct reading.

Remember to hold the throttle open so you get full air flow or you will not get a correct reading.

Yep, worked that one out a few years ago, took a few days to realise. Then i read the manual..............

Back
Top Bottom