Boots recommendation.

k80matey

I'm too poor to buy rubbish.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking for zip up or slip on short boots. I’ve tried a few, mostly by buying the buggers online. Can’t get to the shops obviously so looking to buy online.
They MUST be wide fitting though. I have two pairs of Altberg boots I use for shooting and two pairs of their shoes. All were ordered as extra wide and they’re perfect. Been wearing them on and off for 15 years or so.
I may have to have some made but who knows when we’ll be allowed to travel?
Wondering if anyone has knowledge of other brands who might offer wide or extra wide fittings off the shelf.
Thanks.

Last edited:
The common theme seems to be Altbergs (you know they fit you already) and the ever popular, Daytona boots.

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/11774-wide-fitting-boots/

This article has some guff on the subject but most of it is just common sense:

https://www.sootheyourfeet.com/best-motorcycle-boots-for-wide-feet/

Thanks. Altberg bike boots don’t suit me, too high in the leg. I have a completely unused pair of their Roadrunner Boots I bought in a rush from their stand at the Scottish Bike Show a few years ago. They’re a size 11 Wide if anybody’s interested! Half price.
Many years ago (30+) I bought a pair of BMW Touring boots. Short and with a zip. Perfect but sold when my GS went. I’ve tried to find another pair over the years but there’s nothing quite the same.

I have 2 pairs of Daytona short boots. I uses the Journey in winter as they are the widest fitting so good with my heated insoles & thicker socks. Velcro only, though
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=4417343&ViewAction=ViewProduct

I also use Daytona Rainbow. My favourite boots, but a little narrower than the Journey in the same size, perfect for spring to autumn.
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...X®/SubProducts/Daytona-Rainbow-GORE-TEX®-0001

As a guide, in "normal" shoes I take the widest H fitting in a Clarks 8.5 and a 44 in both the above

I’m looking for zip up or slip on short boots. I’ve tried a few, mostly by buying the buggers online. Can’t get to the shops obviously so looking to buy online.
They MUST be wide fitting though. I have two pairs of Altberg boots I use for shooting and two pairs of their shoes. All were ordered as extra wide and they’re perfect. Been wearing them on and off for 15 years or so.
I may have to have some made but who knows when we’ll be allowed to travel?
Wondering if anyone has knowledge of other brands who might offer wide or extra wide fittings off the shelf.
Thanks.
Redwing engineers' boots are excellent. Not specific for motorcycling but very solid and with the steel toecap are safety boots. I wear them on my other bike but occasionally in the summer on the GS.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

TCX work for me and I've got wide feet. Am on my 4th pair now and will replace them with more of the same.

I just bought a pair of Daytona Arrow from Get Geared. I’ve got v wide feet. Good price, easy to deal with. Quality boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 pairs of Daytona short boots. I uses the Journey in winter as they are the widest fitting so good with my heated insoles & thicker socks. Velcro only, though
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=4417343&ViewAction=ViewProduct

I also use Daytona Rainbow. My favourite boots, but a little narrower than the Journey in the same size, perfect for spring to autumn.
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...X®/SubProducts/Daytona-Rainbow-GORE-TEX®-0001

As a guide, in "normal" shoes I take the widest H fitting in a Clarks 8.5 and a 44 in both the above

I had a pair of TCX on order but cancelled when the supplier couldn’t give me a delivery date, after waiting over three weeks. Supplies are very difficult to come by as I couldn’t find anybody who actually had them in stock in my size.
Ordered a pair of the Daytona Rainbows on Friday from FC Moto which arrived this afternoon! Beautiful boot but I just can’t get my foot in due to a high instep. Bugger!
They’ll have to go back. I’m going to try the AC Pro which is more of a shoe with laces. Hopefully I’ll be able to get them on.
Thanks for the tip. :thumb2

I had a pair of TCX on order but cancelled when the supplier couldn’t give me a delivery date, after waiting over three weeks. Supplies are very difficult to come by as I couldn’t find anybody who actually had them in stock in my size.
Ordered a pair of the Daytona Rainbows on Friday from FC Moto which arrived this afternoon! Beautiful boot but I just can’t get my foot in due to a high instep. Bugger!
They’ll have to go back. I’m going to try the AC Pro which is more of a shoe with laces. Hopefully I’ll be able to get them on.
Thanks for the tip. :thumb2

The Daytona Journey (I use a pair in winter with heated insoles) has a wider fitting and opens out more due to the velcro closure - this model is stocked in the UK so you could try a pair on when shops open in a few weeks.

The Daytona Journey (I use a pair in winter with heated insoles) has a wider fitting and opens out more due to the velcro closure - this model is stocked in the UK so you could try a pair on when shops open in a few weeks.

The trouble is the Goretex ‘sock’, I just cannot get my foot ‘round the corner’. The shaft on even these short boots is too high for me.

The trouble is the Goretex ‘sock’, I just cannot get my foot ‘round the corner’. The shaft on even these short boots is too high for me.

Maybe try something like these, they have a double zip opening for easy on/off and they have a bonded waterproof lining rather than an inner sock

They size maybe a tad small but not narrow, go one size up from normal and you’ll be fine even with wide feet like me

https://www.formaboots.com/en/shop/cortina-hdry/

I’m keen to stick with Daytona, very impressed with the quality. Do the Journey boots open substantially more? Checked the reviews but it’s not very clear.

I’m keen to stick with Daytona, very impressed with the quality. Do the Journey boots open substantially more? Checked the reviews but it’s not very clear.

Photo attached, not sure it helps as my cheap Motorola phone does not work too well under CFL bulbs.

Left boots both size 44, Journey on the left, Rainbow on right.

The Journey seems to have 2 or more cm in each dimension. Also, on the Rainbow, the Goretex sock is attached to the leather upper. In the Journey, the sock is not attached to anything at the front meaning it is more flexible. The front of the upper completely folds back on itself, allowing easier access.

Also, the distance from the sole to the upper above my instep is greater on the Journey. There are red Keis heated insoles fitted inside the Journey but they are still roomier, allowing thicker socks.

Attachments

• 2021-02-24 18.57.39.jpg
    2021-02-24 18.57.39.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 180

Back
Top Bottom